Clubplanet Nightlife Community

has anyone ever heard of "lock bumping?"

Guest clubchicky

Guest clubchicky

What will people think of next? I recieved this news video from a friend about burglars making a certain type of key...so that when they put it in a door they can tap the end of the key with a screw driver, or whatever, and presto your front door opens?? what the hell??? I have been sleeping with my bedroom door locked ever since I watched the video >:(

Am I paranoid or what??? ::)

Guest Slide On The Ice

Interesting. I like how they said they didn't show how to actually make the right cuts in the "bump" key, but still, for any burgulars who didn't know about the technique, now they know to do some research on their own and voila! they'll find out how to do it.

Of course, I still wonder if this wasn't an elaborate advertisement for a particular lock company to scare people into buying their more expensive locks.

Guest clubchicky

maybe...but look at this...I guess this has been around for awhile...

In the 1970s, locksmiths in Denmark shared a technique for knocking on a lock cylinder while applying slight pressure to the back of the lock plug. When the pins would jump inside of the cylinder, the plug would be able to slide out freely and disassemble the lock quickly.[1] The use of a bump key was not introduced until some time later and was first recognized as a potential security issue around 2002-2003 by Klaus Noch who brought it to the attention of the German media.[2] After further examination of the procedure, a white paper was drafted in 2005 by Barry Wels & Rop Gonggrijp of The Open Organization Of Lockpickers (TOOOL) detailing the method and its applicability.[3]

The technique then attracted more popular attention in 2005 when a Dutch television show, Nova, broadcast a story about the method.[4] After the method received further publicity from TOOOL presentations at security conference talks, members of TOOOL and a Dutch consumer group, Dutch Consumentenbond, analyzed the capability of the method on 70 different lock models and with trained and untrained users in a 2006 study.[5]

At the same time, Marc Weber Tobias, an American security expert, began to talk publicly in the United States about the technique and its potential security threats. In 2006, he released two further white papers regarding the technique and its potential legal ramifications.[6][7]

but then...wikipedia decides to explain the exact technique of how a key like this is made...haha....which yes, I think you're right, adds more fuel to the fire!

Guest clubchicky

huh...pretty interesting actually....I wouldn't mind watching...who ever said shows have to be based on hetero-sexual relationships.... ;)

Guest clubchicky

but seriously...is this something that we really should worry about??? changing locks is quite expensive....but I would be willing to do it if some asshole can just walk into my apt!!

Guest coach

:o :o :o skeery

L Word is scary? I mean, that's your perogative, but don't front.

L Word rocks. Haven't seen it in a while, though.