Clubplanet Nightlife Community

GU23 North America Tour//Adam Freeland//Shine at the Shelborne//Friday, May 18

Guest miaminightsblog

Guest djcarlosf

ill be in barcelona & paris with conway early in june...

but when i return...

its onnnn haha ;)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest djjoncowan

:)

really looking forward to playing with you again seb... gonna be some serious fun - maybe we'll move to my place when we finish playing with adam (hint hint)

Guest Marina22

Didn't get to see his set at GG at all so I think it's nice to have him back again, thanks Jon. Will he spin some breaks and some electro?

Guest djjoncowan

his G.U. comp is really electro based tech house funk... its really good. I think adam will play a bit of everything - the guy is the real deal and completely versitile ;)

Guest Marina22

Sounds like my kinda dj, thanks for the reply. :) I did listen to the GU teaser but I'm gonna have another listen now.

Guest Seb

really looking forward to playing with you again seb... gonna be some serious fun - maybe we'll move to my place when we finish playing with adam (hint hint)

Major better get those glow sticks ready ;D

Guest Seb

GU 32 Review from Residentadviser.net

Breaks pioneer Adam Freeland mixes up rock, breaks, house and minimal on the latest Global Underground volume. 'GU 32: Mexico ' hits shelves in June.

Freeland has been championed as a breaks DJ since the mid-nineties, especially for his genre-pioneering 'Coastal Breaks' volumes and nu-skool mixes 'On Tour' and 'Tectonics'. But he's also been known to mix it up. 'Fabriclive 16' showed he was not averse to crossing breaks with hip-hop and electro while his debut album 'Now and Them' brought the genre to the mainstream by flirting with rock, vocals and rap.

His latest double CD compilation for Global Underground sees him moving another step away from the sound that earned him props: ‘GU 32: Mexico’ has a surprising tracklist, throwing minimal [My My, Cobblestone Jazz], dub techno [substance & Vainqueur] and French dance punk [Justice, Para One and K.I.M] into the mix. So what happened to the breaks, Adam? "The idea of breaks as a limited formulaic genre that has to sound a certain way to be considered righteous is the spirit of what I've always fought against, " Freeland told RA. "What I play is about attitude and sensibility rather than genre purism. The likes of Justice, Phones, SebastiAn and Evil Nine are the very spirit of breaks, and the finest that have existed date. Pure energy, raw punk attitude and high production value that first excited me about genre."

While CD1 concentrates on dance punk, CD2 sees Freeland moving further towards 4/4 as he cosies up to dub techno and even minimal house. "There are definitely more minimal and deeper moments on this CD than my last few mixes,†explains Freeland. “I think partly down to the fact that this is my first double mix CD in almost ten years, so I've really been able to spread my wings and indulge myself fully in whatever I wanted to do. So many boundaries have broken down now and there is so much incredible music out there. I would never have dreamed two years ago that I could get away with mixing from tracks by Holden and Gui Boratto to Silversun Pickups’ 'Lazy Eye', which is pure drone rock, into dubby minimalism like Substance & Vainqueur, then back into Fujiya and Miyagi."

But Freeland stresses the mix isn't eclectic just for the sake of it. "What excites me is to forge the links between rock, breaks, house, minimal, whatever and be like a clearinghouse for all that is innovative and fucking great in dance musicâ€. Here’s the tracklist that is causing the fuss in breaks purists circles:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=8664

AdamFreeland_Shine.jpg

Guest Cosmigonon

ps. its been weeks and the tittle of this thread still reads "GU 23" not "GU 32"

I was very confused about this too...

...regardless, I'll be there... 8)

Guest Seb

good luck Seb .. make it happen mate :)

ps. its been weeks and the tittle of this thread still reads "GU 23" not "GU 32"

Thanks Chib :)

Guest Seb

I was very confused about this too...

...regardless, I'll be there... 8)

8)

Guest dancefloored

opened up the email from cj for pre sales :-\

thinking it was gonna put a dent in my pocket

to find out that $8 for pre sale!

God is really trying to yank me out of the scene Im in and back on the the dance floor.

Im really not budging much but I better for this night

hope to see you all before this event

Guest Major

good luck Seb .. make it happen mate :)

Thanks Chib :)

Never underestimate "The Chib". Not so sure about the 'mate' part though, maybe he's been hanging out with Ramon.

Guest djjoncowan

less than a week.... gonna be a great show.. getting excited... wait until you see the next shine "special event" well, there will be more before the event i am specifially speaking of as that one is in november...

gonna give you a hint - he's french and I can't remember the last time he was in miami in or outside of wmc... anyone care to guess?

back on topic - adam freeland next friday - shine @ the shelborne 1801 collins ave...

Guest thelurker

gonna give you a hint - he's french and I can't remember the last time he was in miami in or outside of wmc... anyone care to guess?

Laurent Garnier?

Guest ramon

less than a week.... gonna be a great show.. getting excited... wait until you see the next shine "special event" well, there will be more before the event i am specifially speaking of as that one is in november...

back on topic - adam freeland next friday - shine @ the shelborne 1801 collins ave...

omg!!!!!!! .. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :-X

Guest ramon

Laurent Garnier?

Guest djjoncowan

Laurent Garnier?

i've already given way too much POTENTIAL info..... now on to adam freeland this coming friday..... 8) ???

Guest ramon

Laurent Garnier?

i've already given way too much POTENTIAL info..... now on to adam freeland this coming friday..... 8) ???

yep :) .. best news ive heard this year twice in one weekend .. can't wait :)

see you friday.

Guest ramon

Laurent garnier... hmmmm might come out for that one

i'd get on a plane to see that man anywhere in this country. he's one dj you don't miss. i last saw him in chicago in may of 2004.

incredible.

Guest the lurker

any idea when adam will go on?

already have tickets for roger waters in west palm and would like to make it down for freeland. Hoping for a 1am start time so i can make it.

everyone should listen to his back to mine comp. its the best.

51BR833SBFL._SS500_.jpg

1. Trail Of The Dead – Will You Smile Again For Me.

2. Autobus – Turnstile Blues

3. Interpol – Untitled

4. TV On The Radio – Staring At The Sun

5. Ambulance LTD – Yoga Means Union

6. The Beta Band – It’s Not Too Beautiful

7. Jape – Floating

8. EL-P – Constellation Recall

9. Elliot Smith – Needle In The Hay

10. PJ Harvey – The Slow Drug

11. Funkadelik – Maggot Brain

12. Dyke House – Sandy Strip

13. M83 – Lower Your Eyes To Die With The Sun