Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can Space survive without a patio? Vote

V. Barbarino

Can Space survive without a patio?  

1. 1. Can Space survive without a patio?

Guest pod

Well, no one's debating that point. EM has his share of girls showing up:

engine.cgi?idd=1&u=ZIjVfUiWJyR2&command=engine.showImage.show&galleryID=2007-2-6&imageID=32&width=468&height=312

What I'm having a little laugh about is how people get so up in arms about gay people "crossing the line" and going to non-gay venues. And a lot of the times, it's these same people who are signed up for The Liberal Weekly newsletter, and probably the Workers' Daily too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the thing about Space thats so cool everyone comes there to party,everyone.The numbers as im sure you have all noticed are very diverse.

well everyone is welcome to party at twilo too.. just because they have a primarily gay crowd doesn't stop any straight guys i know that go to hear a DJ throw down sick beats...

didn't realize hot chicks to guys ratio made the dj play differently... lol

Guest coach

It still is. Most people go to the beach for entertainment. It's the tourist draw to the Miami area.

What Downtown is, at least to me, is a place where you can kind of get away from the glitz, glam, and general bullshit that is South Beach. Don't get me wrong, there's still some fun parties there, but for the most part, South Beach is just that, glitz, glam, and bullshit. I always saw Downtown as being a more down-home alternative to the general insular "the universe ends at the causeway" mentality that pervades the sandbar.

Man, I get WAY more bullshit from people downtown than at any club I've been to on South Beach.

Guest pod

Hmm. It's always been the opposite in most cases I've seen. Pawn, Space, Studio A, Nocturnal, etc, they'll have lines but they're usually expeditious about getting you off the street and into the club.

Guest coach

Oh, I'm not talking about staff. Staff is fine most anywhere. It's the patrons. I did have one rude staff guy the other day at Setai.

Guest LisaLoca7Bianca

The patio is like the grand finale of going to Space, its like the final touch, its the ICING of the cake.

Yeah Im sure Space will survive without a patio but then we'll have another closed in dark ass room with a bunch of clubbers you can't even SEE 8). The music will be dark because that funky/techy/jumpy house will not feel right unless your in the patio :P.

The patio is what its all about..screw that. The VIBE is great. You have fun with all your friends, you mingle, you laugh at the stupid fucks, and you can actually see everyone having a wonderful time. ;D

Guest meta

If the Opium guys were smart, they would team up with Mermelli and force Space out of business with noise complaints. Buy off the residents, offer them 100 bucks per phoned in complaint, cash of course. Or buy a condo in 10 Museum and start dialing!

FYI: Partial owner of 10 museum is the one of the opium guys.

Guest meta

"If DT can only take Twilo till 7am then it goes to show you there are no after hours left in Miami without a patio."

Yeah he only takes it to 7am because he wants to go to afterhours after he plays.

Guest pod

Oh, I'm not talking about staff. Staff is fine most anywhere. It's the patrons. I did have one rude staff guy the other day at Setai.

That's a universal constant in Miami. If you exit a club without wanting to hit at least one person, you're too tolerant. I have a good time when I go out, but there's always at least person that needs a good smack in any given club.

Guest Tru1

hey boot_ness...I disagree,

Let me give you the scenario.

Patio closes...

then...

smart promoter that is in the scene and knows a lot of the patio dwellers decides to....

Move the party to Karu or some new venue with a patio in a different part of town...place gets hot

has the underground cred and is the new "in spot"

As someone that was very much in the biz for a long time I can assure you the only constant in the nightclub business is........CHANGE

Guest bootstah

ok to each his own. But it's not like LP is going to let someone else take his business, he doesn't own Miami for nothing. And I have to say all of the times that I've been to Space pre-patio session it's always been completely rammed. I predict that the Space following will remain intact.

Guest ICON

i think it is complete bullshit that LP is doing everything he can to solve this problem... but Nocturnal isnt doing a damn thing about it. It's obvious that Nocturnal is now the problem.

Guest addictedtospace

hey boot_ness...I disagree,

Let me give you the scenario.

Patio closes...

then...

smart promoter that is in the scene and knows a lot of the patio dwellers decides to....

Move the party to Karu or some new venue with a patio in a different part of town...place gets hot

has the underground cred and is the new "in spot"

As someone that was very much in the biz for a long time I can assure you the only constant in the nightclub business is........CHANGE

And who know CHANGE better than Louis Puig? No one, he always keeps the club changing, morphing, fresh. Nick calls him the Gecko, should call him the Chameleon instead. Nothing last forever and all good things must come to an end, but if there is some one that can make it work for as long as possible its LP.

Guest Mattivi

ok to each his own. But it's not like LP is going to let someone else take his business, he doesn't own Miami for nothing. And I have to say all of the times that I've been to Space pre-patio session it's always been completely rammed. I predict that the Space following will remain intact.

as the "The CLub Legend" has stated numerous times before, a "rammed" club isnt neccessarily indicative of a "profitable" club. ;D

Guest musicalmissionary

Anyone who thinks LP doesn't have a team of architects, engineers, and GC's locked away in a sealed vault designing a totally new rooftop club concept that addresses the noise issue and probably even steps it up a notch I think is a fool. The guy's got the money... and seems like the type who would want to face the challenge toe-to-toe. I expect the opposite of all this doom-and-gloom hypothesizing... I expect LP to come out ahead with a killer new club.

Guest Mattivi

^^^^Great Post. ive always felt the sameway. there is a way that you can integrate a "patio feel" without the noise issues. i think upstairs will eventually be totally enclosed but with a roof with loads skylights/glassdome so the sunlight can still come in and people still feel like they are on a patio. there is definitly some major brainstorming and troubleshooting going on at space camp. it would be disingenuous to feel otherwise.

Guest pod

Part of it I think a lot of people are basing the doom and gloom on is the fact that historically, clubs usually roll over for The Man. Sure, the clubs have to toe the line sometimes, but the past few statements kind of sum up what is most likely going down at the moment. LP and his crew have largely been in clubs all their lives, so A) they've seen it all and B) they're more motivated to do something about it, since it's what they've done all their lives.

In response to the question= yes.

Gay people won't grab you unless you want that type of attention, yes there are more chicks at space, yes there are gay people at twilo...we live in a very diverse community, half of broward and south beach has a very large gay community.

There is no problem in that in my book.

Give Twilo a try, go there on a gay night if you want to experience music that you won't be hearing ever in any miami club. My friends and I never thought we would be going to a gay event to hear a world class dj, but after going to a few parties in a group with a chick or two, we've realized that the gay community is not what lots of homophobic people have their mind set on. We never once got harrased, people were respectfull, and everyone in my group always had a good time at the club. There are chicks there too, just not at such a large scale as Space's.

Guest pod

I'll second that on a general level. People at gay parties don't bite.

I laugh when I see some people saying shit like "save the sea snails", "don't pollute" and "don't say n---er", but they'll freak out over the "fags".

Guest Tru1

hey...I didn't say who the person would be that would start the new party... I just said it will happen.

If I was a betting man I am sure that LP will at least involved if not owning the next place outright.

successful operators last. The same owner have been running the scene in one of my old markets since 1995. He is already thinking about his next two concepts when he is opening up his current club. He has opened and sold or closed no less than 9 clubs in the last twelve years. every single one of them has been a success.

Guest pod

True enough.

One of the things is that here in Miami, the clubs turn over so quick, that we expect every club operator to do it once, forget about it, and then go home. So we're amazed when people stick around for more than a season.