Clubplanet Nightlife Community

This boat?

Guest pod

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

Like he said, it's a work in progress. No idea why he thought he'd get good money from the Cuban government though.

Guest endymion

spotted this morning anchored by the hard rock cafe/bayside marina, it's tied to another boat now

It's slowly and steadily swimming back to its ancestral homeland to spawn:

Prinz_Valdemar_Arial.jpg

Guest JMT

i love seeing those old pics you dig up.

i was at B&N a while back looking for travel books and i browsed the Florida section. picked up a great book with a ton of old photos from the Flagler-era development. i wish the Florida Over-Sea Railroad were still around today.

Guest endymion

Yeah, would have made travel to the Keys a lot easier.

Uh. It's still there. It has US1 on top of it now. Yes it does make travel to the Keys a lot easier.

Guest pod

What I mean is if there was a rail link to the Keys. Not a road that gets congested every time there's an accident.

Guest JMT

What I mean is if there was a rail link to the Keys. Not a road that gets congested every time there's an accident.

right. a non-stop ride, while looking out the window at nothing but water a few feet below would be pretty cool.

Guest endymion

Oh okay I get you. That all ended on Labor Day in 1935. This photo was taken just south of the island where my wife grew up, Plantation Key, where the hurricane made landfall. There are no photos of what her island looked like after the storm, because in addition to destroying the railroad the storm killed every single person on Plantation Key, and destroyed every single building on the island. Unfortunately there was still a train on the tracks when it hit, trying to evacuate WWI veterans who were working on the railroad. All died.

N041535.jpg

This is similar to what happened when the 1926 Miami Hurricane hit. There was a line of cars that formed on the Collins Bridge (now the Venetian Causeway) during the eye of the storm. They were hit by the rear eye wall and apparently nobody survived.

Guest coach

Yeah, would have made travel to the Keys a lot easier.

Uh. It's still there. It has US1 on top of it now.

Kinda.

Guest GoodLife

Saw a boat similar a couple weeks back with those orange "remove yo shit" stickers posted on the windows....similar to the ones left on cars by local police to have your car towed within a certain amount of time.

Guest 0crystal0

right. a non-stop ride, while looking out the window at nothing but water a few feet below would be pretty cool.

they have a ferry now that does the same thing

Guest coach

I took one of those fast boats to Key West. Not really fun. It is way too windy to stand out on deck. So you are stuck inside a bumpy, overstuffed sardine can with a bunch of drunk, smelly tourists. You are going too fast to really appreciate the amazing beauty of the Miami Bay and that area. The chairs on the one I took were astoundingly uncomfortable. You have to leave at insane-o'clock in the morning. And there's nowhere to put your stuff. Not recommended.