Clubplanet Nightlife Community

LP to buy twilo??

Guest hiram

Guest pod

Miami continue to fall? Maybe on the "i'm too cool for school" 50-and-a-bucket-of-Corona underground scene, but for commercially-oriented dance music, Miami is definitely a make-or-break sort of place. DJs like Roger, Sander, Steve Lawler, Erick, etc, all command top salaries for their gigs these days based in part on their success in playing Miami gigs.

I've traveled enough and talked to enough DJs and dance music performers, and they all want an "in" in Miami.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Buck White

This is probably what you guys consider a threadjack....but here goes anyway. I was talking to this guy, at work, who has been working in the nightclub business here for about 17 years. And apparently Richard Grant, of Sound Factory (old and new ) fame is looking to open one in Miami. Also, while we were talking he received a phone call and, get this, Manhattan will become a 2 AM city. Except for the Chelsea area which will have the luxury/permission of staying open untill 4 AM. Ouch. My man Buttermaker might be able to touch on the validity of these statements.

Guest pod

SF Miami has been on and off for the past few years. Not sure what the deal with that building is now.

Stupid to open one if you ask me. There's enough clubs in the city right now.

Guest Buck White

Stupid to open one if you ask me.

I would agree with that. And that's exactly what I told him after seeing, firsthand, this ignominious failure that was Twilo.

Didn't hear anything about NYC, 2am closing would put that city in financial ruin. The city that doesn't sleep, can't go to bed at 2am...

The SF use to get going at 8am, lol...

Anyway, there are only a few cities that play host to djs. Sure the tiestos and pvds can play more cities, but they have much wider followings.

Look at RS's schedule, not one date in the us outside of Miami/NJ/NYC...

There really isn't much in terms of EDM outside of 8 cities or so.

LA, SF, NYC, NJ,Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago

I hear LA sucks

NYC is done

NJ is done

Miami is dying quick

don't know about the other 4.

EM, only is playing 1 date outside Miami in May or June, that is vegas...

Guest mr.miami

Maybe we could find a 1000 investors that each pinch in 1000 bucks a month. Start out own club lol.

Guest pod

LA closes at 2. Despite the fact that Ramon will undoubtedly mention the existence of house parties and illegal warehouse events, LA's dance music scene blows.

The stereotypes about their club scene is largely true, in the fact that it's pretty much determined by which pop tart is hanging out where that evening.

Guest ramon

Miami continue to fall? Maybe on the "i'm too cool for school" 50-and-a-bucket-of-Corona underground scene, but for commercially-oriented dance music, Miami is definitely a make-or-break sort of place. DJs like Roger, Sander, Steve Lawler, Erick, etc, all command top salaries for their gigs these days based in part on their success in playing Miami gigs.

I've traveled enough and talked to enough DJs and dance music performers, and they all want an "in" in Miami.

hmm how about for people like Digweed , Howells , even Dubfire. Who really don't play here outside that one week in Miami. I'm not even talking about the 'techno' jocks. Fuckin Lawler doesn't even play here. I think we'll keep adding names to this list as well.

They may have played here in the past , but they don't do so anymore , but they continue to play places like NY and LA.

Guest pod

Ali's here at least 3 or 4 times a year outside of conference. He's gonna be here very soon actually.

Again, I said the commercial side of things, not the "underground" side that you and your people go for.

Miami's dance scene is struggling, yes, but that's just an economic situation, not some sort of imagined conspiracy. I can't think of a city in this country where I would find a scene that isn't struggling. Roger played two venues in Miami back to back this weekend, and he filled them both.

From a pure objective ignoring-genres and political affiliations level, we've got it pretty damn good in this town. Any given month of the year, hell, any week of the year, I can say without a doubt there's a few touring DJs in town doing their thing. Nevermind that we've got more than our fair share of locals who hold down local residencies, and/or tour extensively.

Guest ramon

LA closes at 2. Despite the fact that Ramon will undoubtedly mention the existence of house parties and illegal warehouse events, LA's dance music scene blows.

The stereotypes about their club scene is largely true, in the fact that it's pretty much determined by which pop tart is hanging out where that evening.

So people go out earlier. LA's music scene blows .. that's fuckin hilarious Dan. They have one of the best house night's in the country in 'DEEP', Solid parties put on by Avalon week in week out and Doc Martin doing his Sublevel thing and that's just house.

Guest pod

I've been out there enough and I'm not impressed. I'm not a music aficionado like you guys, so when I go out I tend to evaluate the whole kit and caboodle, not just what the guy behind the decks is doing. Yeah they might get some of these guys you love so much, but a 2 AM shutdown really puts a damper on your night.

Again, I've talked to a lot of people in this industry, and they want to play Miami, or at the least come here.

Sure, you've got the perpetual malcontents who bitch that they're a "victim" of the politics in this town and they move out, but those are few and far between.

Guest myles hie

Look at RS's schedule, not one date in the us outside of Miami/NJ/NYC...

EM, only is playing 1 date outside Miami in May or June, that is vegas...

Thats because everyone is in Spain or doing the Euro Summer festival circuit

Guest tijuanarave

So people go out earlier. LA's music scene blows .. that's fuckin hilarious Dan. They have one of the best house night's in the country in 'DEEP', Solid parties put on by Avalon week in week out and Doc Martin doing his Sublevel thing and that's just house.

L.A. also has Giant doing Vanguard every Saturday and that same group does Belo in San Diego. And they are making money every weekend.

Guest ramon

L.A. also has Giant doing Vanguard every Saturday and that same group does Belo in San Diego. And they are making money every weekend.

Sorry Giant was the promoter I was looking for not Avalon. ;)

Guest myles hie

Again, I've talked to a lot of people in this industry, and they want to play Miami, or at the least come here.

Thats because its seen as a hedonistic party spot, not as a spot thats important in establishing or breaking a music career.

Guest ramon

Thats because its seen as a hedonistic party spot, not as a spot thats important in establishing or breaking a music career.

The only time you can truly break out in Miami is during WMC.

Guest pod

That might be true, but I don't see it as a good reason to say "Miami is falling off..."

Again, maybe from the 'underground too-cool-for-school scene', but not from the perspective of more commercial international touring DJs.

Guest Mattivi

personally i wasnt all that impressed with LAs club scene. too many pretentious mirror checkers trying to be the next Mischa Barton or Colin Ferrall. I'll take Miami any day of the week over LA; from the vibe, scene, music, people, afterhours, women, the whole kit and caboodle.

Guest ramon

personally i wasnt all that impressed with LAs club scene. too many pretentious mirror checkers trying to be the next Mischa Barton or Colin Ferrall. I'll take Miami any day of the week over LA; from the vibe, scene, music, people, afterhours, women, the whole kit and caboodle.

where did you go? there's some really good parties in LA right now.

Guest ramon

Avalon, wasnt that i didnt like the venue, it was more the vibe and people.

Please let me know next time before you go and I can point in the direction of some nice events. Sundays @ The Standard rooftop had Demi I think.

Guest pod

Yeah, I've been to my share of events out there, and the crowds were borderline horrid. Now, I'm sure there's some good events out there (no place can 100% suck ass...) but from the places I've been to out there, I wasn't duly impressed crowd-wise.

Guest Mattivi

Please let me know next time before you go and I can point in the direction of some nice events. Sundays @ The Standard rooftop had Demi I think.

this could be soon my brother is out west now, so i will hit you up on that, thanks ramon ;)

Guest ramon

this could be soon my brother is out west now, so i will hit you up on that, thanks ramon ;)

your welcome always willing to help out a raving tourist :)

Guest Mattivi

while your in Detroit, go to Dearborn and eat at a joint called La Shish on Michigan Ave. have a few shawarmas, beef, lamb, chicken, or mixed, they are the best sandwich you will have west of Beirut. get it with 'left'(pickled turnip) and an extra side of garlic sauce. have fun wish i could be there.