Clubplanet Nightlife Community

LP to buy twilo??

Guest hiram

Guest ramon

while your in Detroit, go to Dearborn and eat at a joint called La Shish on Michigan Ave. have a few shawarmas, beef, lamb, chicken, or mixed, they are the best sandwich you will have west of Beirut. get it with 'left'(pickled turnip) and an extra side of garlic sauce. have fun wish i could be there.

We are going :)

We didn't go last year we went to a place called Ananas (which is also the name of a Ricardo Villalobos record)

I can't wait to eat Shawarmas again :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vegasguy25

I've been out there enough and I'm not impressed. I'm not a music aficionado like you guys, so when I go out I tend to evaluate the whole kit and caboodle, not just what the guy behind the decks is doing. Yeah they might get some of these guys you love so much, but a 2 AM shutdown really puts a damper on your night.

Again, I've talked to a lot of people in this industry, and they want to play Miami, or at the least come here.

Sure, you've got the perpetual malcontents who bitch that they're a "victim" of the politics in this town and they move out, but those are few and far between.

Name one house music party, or club playing house music at all, that closes at 2am in LA. You don't even have to name two, just name one. If you want to argue about it, because you have been there a few times, we can. Avalon, which is co-promoted in huse with Spundae, has a 24 hr license, they can stay open as late as they want. I have partied there to almost 10am on a couple of occasions. Vanguard, which host Giant on Saturday nights as well as Marques Wyatt's legendary Deep on Sundays, regularly clears 4am and approaches 5. Also, Doc Martin's Sublevel parties, held downtown and filled with the real heads, are epic.

The clubs for the Hollywood crowd, the more commercial joints that make the tabloids, close at 2am because that's the cutoff time for booze, and that crowd just doesn't stay out very late. However, I have been at Avalon plenty of times when the bars reopen at 6am.

Not sure where you got this "LA shuts down at 2am" nonsense from.

Guest pod

From being there.

And well, if I can't drink, I'm going home. I'm not gonna sit for four hours waiting for the bar to open back up.

Guest Buck White

From being there.

And well, if I can't drink, I'm going home. I'm not gonna sit for four hours waiting for the bar to open back up.

The man can drink. I saw him stumble out of the Pete Tong/Radio 1 party myself. ;D

Guest vegasguy25

From being there.

Not even if you're listening to great music? The music is what you're at the event for in the first place, isn't it? The times when I've been at Avalon for 10+ hours was for John Digweed's NYE parties where he has played for over nine hours. I know that's a really long time, but is it simply not possible for you to listen to great music without vacuuming down some booze?

I too think that cutoff times for booze are lame, but really, if you're there to listen to the music it shouldn't be a big deal that you can't get a beer right that minute. One of the times I was at Avalon for Digweed NYE, we had a table. At 2am, the server came by and picked up our bottle, which was still about 1/3rd or so full. At 6am, she brought it back. Lame? Of course, but in the intervening four hours Diggers played some outstanding music so in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal that we couldn't have booze.

Guest pod

You don't know me that well. I like the music, yes, but I also like to drink. I can't drink, I'm out. That simple. I'll stick around yeah, but if there's a cutoff, I'm generally out the door within the hour.

In Miami Beach, 5 AM is the cutoff for everything. Music, people, booze. There's no sticking around.

Space, etc are in Miami, where the zone allows 24 hours for everything. Guess I'm spoiled.

Guest ramon

From being there.

Not even if you're listening to great music? The music is what you're at the event for in the first place, isn't it? The times when I've been at Avalon for 10+ hours was for John Digweed's NYE parties where he has played for over nine hours. I know that's a really long time, but is it simply not possible for you to listen to great music without vacuuming down some booze?

I too think that cutoff times for booze are lame, but really, if you're there to listen to the music it shouldn't be a big deal that you can't get a beer right that minute. One of the times I was at Avalon for Digweed NYE, we had a table. At 2am, the server came by and picked up our bottle, which was still about 1/3rd or so full. At 6am, she brought it back. Lame? Of course, but in the intervening four hours Diggers played some outstanding music so in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal that we couldn't have booze.

Dan doesn't care about the music as much as you or I would. I'd stay there till 6am if the booze wasn't flowing as well if the music was good. If the music goes south I don't care if its 1am or 7am I'm going home.

However let's flashback a few years and I leave Paxahau's 7 year anniversary and we go to some dodgy afterhours at a Sports Bar. I see people crowding the bar it's about 7am and the bar is about to open up you should've seen that frenzy. It was lovely and yeah Luciano and Richie Hawtin were playing b2b on stage. I got my alcohol and continue to enjoy my morning.

LA has it damn good as we've discussed in this thread. Avalon (Spundae) , Vanguard (Giant) and Vanguard (DEEP!) and there are smaller parties like Basic @ King King , or Compression at some other places that are providing quality alternatives for what you may want to hear.

Guest addictedtospace

I've been out there enough and I'm not impressed. I'm not a music aficionado like you guys, so when I go out I tend to evaluate the whole kit and caboodle, not just what the guy behind the decks is doing. Yeah they might get some of these guys you love so much, but a 2 AM shutdown really puts a damper on your night.

Again, I've talked to a lot of people in this industry, and they want to play Miami, or at the least come here.

Sure, you've got the perpetual malcontents who bitch that they're a "victim" of the politics in this town and they move out, but those are few and far between.

Name one house music party, or club playing house music at all, that closes at 2am in LA. You don't even have to name two, just name one. If you want to argue about it, because you have been there a few times, we can. Avalon, which is co-promoted in huse with Spundae, has a 24 hr license, they can stay open as late as they want. I have partied there to almost 10am on a couple of occasions. Vanguard, which host Giant on Saturday nights as well as Marques Wyatt's legendary Deep on Sundays, regularly clears 4am and approaches 5. Also, Doc Martin's Sublevel parties, held downtown and filled with the real heads, are epic.

The clubs for the Hollywood crowd, the more commercial joints that make the tabloids, close at 2am because that's the cutoff time for booze, and that crowd just doesn't stay out very late. However, I have been at Avalon plenty of times when the bars reopen at 6am.

Now, you are recalling a certain night with a certain DJ but what about the other 51 weeks a year?

Guest cool1g

Now, you are recalling a certain night with a certain DJ but what about the other 51 weeks a year?

our lineups are probably the best week-in-week-out

last friday we had Morillo at Avalon. Sat nite Seb Fontaine and Hernan played Giant. i forget who was at Avalon that nite. Sundays is the weekly Deep party with Marques Wyatt as resident. they bring in regularly Migues Migs and in 2 or 3 weeks they are doing a Body and Soul party with the B&S residents.

the next 6 weeks we have: Sharam w/Sultan, DT, Christopher Lawrence, Ritchie Hawtin, Steve Lawler, Crystal Method, Adam Freedland, Dave Seamen, kaskade, Cedric Gervais, Luke Fair, Dmitiri from Paris, Ferry Corsten, Armin Van Buuren, Danny Howells, Fischerspooner, Dirty Vegas. Lee Cabrera is playing in June at the Standard pool party on sundays which should be great. and i'm not throwing in the EDC party at the end of June or Daft Punk in July or Tiesto's concert (bleh) in August.

now i love a cocktail about as much as POD i think :)

but i was at Morillo till 5:20 am the other nite and loving it. too bad he ended 40 minutes before the bar reopened!

Guest pod

Again, I'm not a hardcore music head, so from my point of view, LA isn't all that. I like my DJs like Danny, Danny, Deep Dish, Roger, OG, Cedric, trance guys like Markus Schulz, etc...but I'm hard pressed to differentiate on a more basic level than trance vs house vs breakbeats. Maybe if I sat down I could delve into what makes tribal tribal and so forth....

But anywho, I'm digressing. What I'm getting at is that like anything, a lot of this is subjective. LA might be heaven on earth for Ramon, Vegasguy25, and yourself, but to others, it really isn't all that. Frankly, most of my clubbing career has been in Miami, and I got spoiled to not leaving the house until midnight, drinking (legally) at 6 AM, and catching my favorite DJs in legal venues till all hours of the afternoon.

Guest cool1g

Again, I'm not a hardcore music head, so from my point of view, LA isn't all that. I like my DJs like Danny, Danny, Deep Dish, Roger, OG, Cedric, trance guys like Markus Schulz, etc...but I'm hard pressed to differentiate on a more basic level than trance vs house vs breakbeats. Maybe if I sat down I could delve into what makes tribal tribal and so forth....

But anywho, I'm digressing. What I'm getting at is that like anything, a lot of this is subjective. LA might be heaven on earth for Ramon, Vegasguy25, and yourself, but to others, it really isn't all that. Frankly, most of my clubbing career has been in Miami, and I got spoiled to not leaving the house until midnight, drinking (legally) at 6 AM, and catching my favorite DJs in legal venues till all hours of the afternoon.

trust me - you and i think alike. but one gets used to the lack of drinking after 2am. Miami is the only city IMO that can compare with LA in terms of what it has to offer is residents - if the only setback is we can't drink from 2-6am at a club, i can live with that.

any city i can drink straight to 5am (or later like vegas) would be death to my liver anyway. ;D

Guest ramon

our lineups are probably the best week-in-week-out

last friday we had Morillo at Avalon. Sat nite Seb Fontaine and Hernan played Giant. i forget who was at Avalon that nite. Sundays is the weekly Deep party with Marques Wyatt as resident. they bring in regularly Migues Migs and in 2 or 3 weeks they are doing a Body and Soul party with the B&S residents.

the next 6 weeks we have: Sharam w/Sultan, DT, Christopher Lawrence, Ritchie Hawtin, Steve Lawler, Crystal Method, Adam Freedland, Dave Seamen, kaskade, Cedric Gervais, Luke Fair, Dmitiri from Paris, Ferry Corsten, Armin Van Buuren, Danny Howells, Fischerspooner, Dirty Vegas. Lee Cabrera is playing in June at the Standard pool party on sundays which should be great. and i'm not throwing in the EDC party at the end of June or Daft Punk in July or Tiesto's concert (bleh) in August.

now i love a cocktail about as much as POD i think :)

but i was at Morillo till 5:20 am the other nite and loving it. too bad he ended 40 minutes before the bar reopened!

that's just Avalon and Vanguard .. doesn't even mention Deep or Basic or the other cool events going on. They are spanking us and bad in terms of Guest djs's.

Carola and Magda , Hawtin on Saturday 2nd @ Avalon

Michael Mayer & Gui Boratto and Dave Seaman this weekend @ Avalon

Body and Soul coming to LA soon too.

Guest pod

I'm sure in LA I would drink more often as opposed to all in one go like I do here. Contrary to popular belief, I'm usually sober Monday - Friday.

Guest cool1g

I'm sure in LA I would drink more often as opposed to all in one go like I do here. Contrary to popular belief, I'm usually sober Monday - Friday.

being sober is overrated :D

Guest deprivation

I've been out to clubs in LA and yes some clubs stay open later than 2 am, but they're not as much fun after closing time. LA gets really good shows and arguably as good or better as Miami or NY, but I still don't see LA as a house town. I still think of it more as a celeb town.

As some said, the clubbers there for the most part are more into the scene than the music or to have good time. The dance music scene here is better with the many different cultures like South American & European who appreciate electronic music. I think the scene in LA is better if you want to hang out at hip spots with celebs.

Guest pod

And that's the bulk of what I saw in the places I went. I woulda thought that most of the people didn't give a shit since the celebs are all out there and they're part of the scenery, but still, it surprised me on how much even the locals were concerned about where Lindsay, Mischa, etc were partying that night.

Guest ramon

I've been out to clubs in LA and yes some clubs stay open later than 2 am, but they're not as much fun after closing time. LA gets really good shows and arguably as good or better as Miami or NY, but I still don't see LA as a house town. I still think of it more as a celeb town.

As some said, the clubbers there for the most part are more into the scene than the music or to have good time. The dance music scene here is better with the many different cultures like South American & European who appreciate electronic music. I think the scene in LA is better if you want to hang out at hip spots with celebs.

ok they have one of the longest running house nights in the country in DEEP and they are not a house town? What do you base this on? They can have a successful party on a Sunday night there. Bring in guests that we only see at WMC and they are not a house town? Please do you homework then come back to this thread.

Guest pod

Ramon, they're not a house town.

They're a celeb-scenester town with a certain tolerance for dance music.

I'll call our office out there tomorrow and get a run-down of what the average clubgoer there hits up. Remember, they're paid to know their scene.

Guest ramon

Ramon, they're not a house town.

They're a celeb-scenester town with a certain tolerance for dance music.

I'll call our office out there tomorrow and get a run-down of what the average clubgoer there hits up. Remember, they're paid to know their scene.

Go for it. I'd love to see some statistics.

Guest future

And that's the bulk of what I saw in the places I went. I woulda thought that most of the people didn't give a shit since the celebs are all out there and they're part of the scenery, but still, it surprised me on how much even the locals were concerned about where Lindsay, Mischa, etc were partying that night.

Dan, if you see Mischa in Miami, you call me dog.. deal?