Clubplanet Nightlife Community

One more reason to NOT ride rollercoaster thingys!!

Guest michael^heaven

Guest michael^heaven

(CNN) -- A girl's feet were cut off Thursday when a free-fall thrill ride malfunctioned at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park in Louisville, Kentucky, police said.

A cord wrapped around the 16-year-old's feet and severed them at her ankles while she was on the "Superman Tower of Power," a police dispatcher said. The girl was taken to a local hospital.

An unidentified witness told CNN affiliate WLKY she saw a cable on the ride snap.

"The people on the ride just came and hit the ground," she said. "When I got up there, the lady she was just sitting there, and she didn't have no legs. ... And she was just there, calm, probably in shock from everything."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/21/six.flags.accident/index.html

Now, the article states that her feet were severed but witness accounts say that her legs were cut off :-\. Either way, shocka!! :o

Guest thelurker

OMFG :o

I hope this family sues the f*ck out of six flags. This girl is f*cked for the rest of her life.

Guest flux

And the award for Glass Half Full Redneck Optimist of the year goes to...

“Every park, one in a million maybe something happens,†park visitor Kenneth Lay said. “But I have no fear.â€

Anyone who can watch a feetless girl get carted out of the amusement park and think; "We're a million times safer now, and I'll bet the lines are gonna be real short, lets ride." is my kinda guy. If I ever get cancer I'm calling that guy for a pick me up.

Guest coach

Heh, you know my favorite ride at Disney? Mission Space. That one that's killed like 3 people. You are about 10,000 times more likely to be killed by a bee sting than killed on an amusement park ride. Seriously. Probably more. So, are you going to stop going outside?

Guest flux

Me personally? I'll still go to amusement parks. I'll even go on that ride maybe. I remember when I was little some kid was flung from a ride at the Broward County Fair so I was never allowed to go on it. If I were to be at some ghetto carnival to this day I'd probably go on it just cuz.

Guest michael^heaven

Still up for zee rides???

NEW YORK — An accident involving a gyrating ride at an amusement park north of New York City left a young woman dead Friday night, police said.

The woman was killed while riding the Mind Scrambler ride at around 9:30 p.m. at Playland Amusement Park in Rye, said Westchester County Police spokesman Kieran O'Leary. The indoor ride has cars that travel in a circular path while also rotating themselves.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4934152.html

Guest General

Every 7 minutes a pedestrian is killed or injured in a traffic accident according to U.S. Department of Transportation.

This is a terrible accident but I still like my rollercoaster.

Guest Marina22

I like to think of myself as a roller coaster enthusiast but I am more wary of carnival rides than roller coasters. I guess it's a risk you take but you can't live your life in fear because then what kind of life is that? Best roller coaster I've been on was the "X" at Magic Mountain in Cali, screamed like a madwoman.

Guest bootstah

this surely is not going to stop me from riding a roller coaster. Freak accidents occur on a daily basis, that's not going to leave me jaded. :-\

Guest michael^heaven

Similiar to when people always ask me..."Aren't you afraid of sharks?"....referring to surfing. More of a chance of getting killed by a car while crossing the street. :)

Guest michael^heaven

Just found this...

DANIA BEACH, Florida (AP) -- A 13-year-old girl hit her head while on a spinning ride at an amusement park, putting her in intensive care.

The ride was cleared by inspectors to open but remained closed Monday.

Natashia West was injured Thursday on the Magic Teacup ride at Boomers, just south of Fort Lauderdale. She remained sedated Monday with head injuries.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/03/park.accident.ap/index.html

This one seems like it was the girl's fault though.

Guest coach

Similiar to when people always ask me..."Aren't you afraid of sharks?"....referring to surfing. More of a chance of getting killed by a car while crossing the street. :)

More of a chance of getting killed by bees, actually. A LOT more.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A teen whose feet were severed at Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom has had one foot reattached according to a statement released by her family.

The family of Kaitlyn Lasitter, 13, whose feet were cut off when The Superman Tower of Power malfunctioned at Six Flags’ Kentucky Kingdom last month, issued a statement updating the details of her medical condition Tuesday.

The statement reports that Kaitlyn’s right foot has successfully been reattached at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where she remains in stable condition.

“We were not able to reattach the left lower extremity due to the severity of the injury,†Dr. Douglas Weikert said in the statement. “Things are progressing as expected over this first 10 days.â€

The statement also reiterated a detail reported in the family’s first public announcement, claiming that no representatives from Six Flags have attempted to contact them since Kaitlyn’s injuries. Six Flags has since denied that claim.

Kaitlyn’s parents, Randy and Monique Lasitter, also thanked the community for its support, and they thanked the doctors who are working on their daughter.

“We look forward to Kaitlyn’s recovery and getting back to some sort of normalcy in our lives in Louisville,†the parents said in the statement. “Without the support of our close friends this could have been a much more difficult situation to handle.â€

Meanwhile, the investigation into the accident continues. Officials from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture said earlier this week that it could take many more weeks to determine exactly what caused Kaitlyn's injuries.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest michael^heaven

Abby Hosmeister was next in line at Lifest, already wearing a harness for the Air Glory ride, when something went horribly wrong and a 16-year-old Menasha girl fell to her death.

She said she saw Elizabeth K. Mohl, 16, of Menasha give a digital camera to a friend before the ride started. Hosmeister sat on the ride platform with her friends, who were also wearing harnesses, when she heard a shriek. Within seconds, Mohl was lying face down on the ground seven feet from Hosmeister. Mohl was not moving.

Authorities are still trying to determine what caused Mohl to plunge about 100 feet to the ground Saturday from Air Glory - a freefall swing ride. Mohl died hours later in surgery at Theda Clark Medical Center.

Full Story