Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Benoit strangled wife and smothered son...

Bling

ATLANTA (AP) -- Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press Tuesday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said test results may not be back for weeks or even months.

Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in DeKalb County.

Investigators believe Benoit (pronounced ben-WAH) killed his wife, 43-year-old Nancy, and son Daniel during the weekend and then himself Monday. The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three separate rooms of the house, off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return calls seeking comment. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

Authorities also declined to say whether drugs or steroids were found inside the house. "We're not releasing any information as far as what was located inside the house," sheriff's Sgt. Keith Whiteside said Tuesday.

Asked about the condition of the interior of the house, Whiteside said investigators found "nothing really out of the ordinary." He said Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and the son in an upstairs bedroom.

Whiteside said toxicology tests could take up to a week or longer to complete.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

"They were nice," said Lorre Jones, who lives across the street. Her daughter Alaina said: "We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't really outwardly warm."

Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit's driver for more than five years, placed a white wreath at the Benoits' gate Tuesday.

"I saw him with his family all the time," said Baswell. "They always seemed like they were the happiest people."

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., said it had been asked by authorities not to release further information on the deaths.

Benoit, born in Montreal, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles. His names in the ring included "The Canadian Crippler."

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit had maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling. The Fayette County Tax Assessors Office lists the value of the house, situated on more than 8.5 acres, at nearly $900,000.

The WWE canceled its live Monday Night RAW card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Benoit's wife managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name "Woman." They met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of a story line on World Championship Wrestling, the newspaper said.

Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

Benoit became a standout at an early age among wrestling prospects who trained in the dungeon basement of the house where fellow Canadians and professional wrestlers Owen and Bret Hart trained. Owen Hart was killed during a wrestling event in 1999.

"He was like a family member to me, and everyone in my family is taking it real hard," said Bret Hart, a five-time champion with the World Wrestling Federation. The federation has since changed its name to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Guest JMT

he killed them and walked around the house for at least a day.

apparently, the bastard had some serious demons.

Guest Mattivi

I LOST ALL RESPECT FOR HIM.. AND TRUST ME I HAD BENOIT ON A VERY HIGH PEDASTAL AS A PRO WRESTLER AND ATHLETE...

VERY SAD

thats your problem bling, the mere fact that you hold "pro wrestlers" ie psuedo wrestllers on a high pedestel. the sport is a collective joke and so are its stars. this guy never deserved respect in the first place based off his career, he's a fucking wrestler for christ sakes! ::)

Guest mr.miami

Is really sad for him to go out like that since he is one of the few wrestlers I ever saw in action that I actually thought could wrestle. What I think will be interesting is how WWE reacts to him. Will he be ignored in wrestling history for this?You can't have a ceremony for a guy that is a killer.

Guest Mattivi

my role model when i was growing up was the kid down the street who could like a five foot ollie off a mongoose, it was cool and it was real...

thats your problem bling, the mere fact that you hold "pro wrestlers" ie psuedo wrestllers on a high pedestel. the sport is a collective joke and so are its stars. this guy never deserved respect in the first place based off his career, he's a fucking wrestler for christ sakes! ::)

I dont think Bling has a problem at all. First of all, it's not a sport...it's entertainment. It's stars make millions off a billion dollar industry than has been around for half a century. It brings entertainment to countless people week in and week out. For you to say he never deserved respect in the first place because of his career.....what the fuck have you done??? Among his peers he earned professional respect....and it just so happens, I consider alot of his peers friends.

Before you mouth off your two cent opinion in your black and white world, maybe you should show a little more respect.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Nancy Benoit filed for divorce and an order of protection in May 2003. In the divorce petition, Nancy Benoit alleged that Chris Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture and furnishings. Petitioner is in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child." A judge issued a restraining order against Benoit and barred him from entering the family home. Nancy Benoit asked the court to dismiss the petition in August of that year. The couple later reconciled, celebrating together in the ring following Benoit's WWE World Championship win at Wrestlemania XX.

Chris and Nancy lived together since 1997, married in 2000, separated in 2003, and got back together shortly thereafter.

-A toxicology report will be issued at 3 p.m. ET today.

Guest Mattivi

I dont think Bling has a problem at all. First of all, it's not a sport...it's entertainment. It's stars make millions off a billion dollar industry than has been around for half a century. It brings entertainment to countless people week in and week out. For you to say he never deserved respect in the first place because of his career.....what the fuck have you done??? Among his peers he earned professional respect....and it just so happens, I consider alot of his peers friends.

Before you mouth off your two cent opinion in your black and white world, maybe you should show a little more respect.

what the fuck have i done? surely i havent killed my wife and son... i dont have respect for a sport that is a scam, i dont care if thats disprespectful to your double wide living ass or not. had i known the guy outside of the ring and he seemed like a cool cat then maybe he would have gotten my respect, but respecting him off a phony sport on tv that is FIXED? hell no... before you mouth off get some perspective jackoff, and rip to his wife and kids. just because your a well known enertainer doesnt mean your entitled to respect. i respect people i know and associate with not some clown in a tight underwear flying around a ring on tv, with a syringe full of sustanon sticking out his ass... laugh out fucking loud ::)

Guest mr.miami

Benoit was actually one of the realest wrestlers to ever wrestle imho. He didnt look fake till he hit the WWe and we all know they made him turn into a phony wrestler.

watch benoit in his ecw days and tell me if this shit looks fake or if u can suffer legit injuries

benoit was the best... plain and simple

for me the best wrestlers of all time includie

1. Bret Hart

2. Ric Flair

3. Chris Benoit

4. Eddie Guerrero

5. Masahiro Chono

6. Jushin Thunder Liger

7. The Great Muta

i can name more but my brain hurts

Guest Mattivi

bling, your getting me twisted. a lot of these guys are fine athletes, great entertainers, and some have legitmate wrestling backgrounds. i get all that. the point im trying to make is that alot of misguided people like yourself, make these guys out to be heroes, rolemodels, etc, etc. same thing with mindless teens who think paris hilton is cool, and bible belters who think televangelists are all infallible and sinless. the facts are, more often than not, that these people are just as screwed up as the next person and nobody to look upto no matter how popular they might be. i respect my parents, friends, and people who have helped me along the way, not some bozo on tv. chirs benoit might have been a hell of a wrestler, but he was never anyone to look upto as a role model.

MORE DETAILED INFO

View larger image

ATLANTA (AP) - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year- old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself by the pulley of a weightlifting machine, authorities said Tuesday.

Investigators also found prescription anabolic steroids in the house, Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. He would not comment on Benoit's state of mind or possible motive.

Autopsies showed all three died of asphyxiation, Pope said.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said.

The son, Daniel, was likely killed late Saturday or early Sunday, the body found in his bed, Ballard said.

Benoit apparently killed himself several hours and as long as a day later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room, his body found hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

The prosecutor said he found it "bizarre" that the WWE wrestling star spread out the killings over a long weekend and appeared to remain in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

"I'm baffled about why anybody would kill a 7-year-old," Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able wrap our head around that."

Earlier, a law enforcement official speaking on a condition of anonymity said Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son.

Guest mr.miami

On the news I dont know how accurate this is, but they stated in the past 10 years 60 wrestlers have died.

Guest slamminshaun

What happened to Lou???

Guest Mattivi
thats your problem bling' date=' the mere fact that you hold "pro wrestlers" ie psuedo wrestllers on a high pedestel. the sport is a collective joke and so are its stars. this guy never deserved respect in the first place based off his career, he's a fucking wrestler for christ sakes! ::)

[/quote']

What happened to Lou???

he's preparing Benoit's eulogy :D

Guest clubchicky

it is extremely sad...I never respected him in the first place...it is entertainment...I agree, but this guy, you could see how roided up he was as I'm sure so many other are...I think it was very sad for the wife and the son, but as for him he was nothing but a fucking coward!! Makes me sick....

Guest endymion

my role model when i was growing up was the kid down the street who could like a five foot ollie off a mongoose, it was cool and it was real...

+1

Sports that you DO are far cooler than sports that you just WATCH.