Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Avalon Boston to close...

V. Barbarino

Guest Orls

Just another day in clubland. So a new owner will come in change the name and the party goes on.

How long did they last? Did they have a good run?

Guest JustDade

Just another day in clubland. So a new owner will come in change the name and the party goes on.

How long did they last? Did they have a good run?

It's actually a lot more than that. Avalon Boston is a legendary Dance Music venue. EVery major DJ talent has played there. EAW even named the Avalon Speaker Series after the club. It is as important in the Electronic scene as Twilo NY was.

They were doing some Hip-Hop nights to make ends meet but the city came down on them hard due to some problems with the Urban crowd so they had to stop the Hop. They can't make the bills with just dance so it's Bye-Bye!

Guest tres-b

The day of the megaclub has come and gone here in the states. Space is the ONLY large club in Miami that has a consistent record of sucess. They open 1 night a week and crush it(I am not counting the bs friday all ages party). However, profits are not what they used to be. According to several people on CJ, the last time Sasha played space, money was lost. One of the biggest djs in the world playing the premier EDM venue in the States should not lose money.

I am a HUGE lover of EDM but the fact of the matter is that EDM is not a cash cow.

Clubs cant make the money and hip hop/open format are the current kings. There are some people that throw great "weekly" edm parties or events, but one party will not keep your average venue open very long.

Guest ICON

The day of the megaclub has come and gone here in the states. Space is the ONLY large club in Miami that has a consistent record of sucess. They open 1 night a week and crush it(I am not counting the bs friday all ages party). However, profits are not what they used to be. According to several people on CJ, the last time Sasha played space, money was lost. One of the biggest djs in the world playing the premier EDM venue in the States should not lose money.

I am a HUGE lover of EDM but the fact of the matter is that EDM is not a cash cow.

Clubs cant make the money and hip hop/open format are the current kings. There are some people that throw great "weekly" edm parties or events, but one party will not keep your average venue open very long.

I hate to say it but the DJs are also to blame on this. $20-$30-$40-$50,000 booking fees are fucking rediculous. Then that means the clubs have to raise the cover charge out the ass... and people dont want to spend $40-$100 to see a DJ these days. It's rediculous.

I am sick and tired of people blaming EDM as a failuure.. Trance is a failure... Not House music.

I have told all of my friends this.. If a headline dj is spinning at Space.. count me the hell out.. Im happy going to SPACE to see the Miami locals.

I hate to say it but the DJs are also to blame on this. $20-$30-$40-$50,000 booking fees are fucking rediculous. Then that means the clubs have to raise the cover charge out the ass... and people dont want to spend $40-$100 to see a DJ these days. It's rediculous.

I am sick and tired of people blaming EDM as a failuure.. Trance is a failure... Not House music.

I have told all of my friends this.. If a headline dj is spinning at Space.. count me the hell out.. Im happy going to SPACE to see the Miami locals.

cedric and og have about 99.9999% of the same music as any dj on the planet, so basically you hear the same records in a different order, thus you are correct the locals are the way to go.

Guest 4040

The dj is the cash cow. These mofos better bring down the price before they dig themselves a grave. I'm all for a salary cap. :D

Guest FAST

yeah I think they are already done

they had the "last dance" party a few weeks ago , but who knows

the lyons brothers (owners) are huge in boston, they own most lounges, clubs, bars, restaurants, and AVALON in the late 90's and early 2000 was a HUGE venue, so it must be rough for them to give up on this one

that and the ROXY were Bostons answer to SF, and was packed week after week, if you werent online at 10pm, you werent getting in, (they close at 2)

Boston scene fell off hard recently, and it is nearly impossible for them to pack places week after week

there are maybe 2 or 3 parties that have been sucessful recently , and it's odd, cause you have over 70 some odd colleges in one city, and al tehse kids from all over, you would think that they would want to party every week,

bar scene is takin over up there,

like someone said, AVALON will now be a concert venue, but who knows, they will prob host the occasional big EDM event, like Tiesto or such.

end of one era, beggining of another....

Guest tekniQz

Tell that to PVD and Sander @Space.They make money trust me.Just because one top dj doesnt make money one night is not a big issue.

Im sure big name djs have lost money before at large venues.It happens.People are still packed into space and they are still drinking heavily.

Also the Sasha party was not well promoted in comparison to others.Like for instance the Sander or PVD parties.They have been promoted exstensively,for a long time.

Either way i take OG over almost everyone. ;D

Guest JustDade

Tell that to PVD and Sander @Space.They make money trust me.Just because one top dj doesnt make money one night is not a big issue.

Im sure big name djs have lost money before at large venues.It happens.People are still packed into space and they are still drinking heavily.

Also the Sasha party was not well promoted in comparison to others.Like for instance the Sander or PVD parties.They have been promoted exstensively,for a long time.

We're not talking about Sasha at Space. We're talking about a venue that has been around long before Space and set the standard for EDM mega-clubs for a long time. We're talking about a market that is comprised of a rotating base, (new crop every four years), of college kids who are up for a party but have stopped going out for EDM. That's the news here. When the young, college age partiers stop going to EDM nights, it's really bad news. When the city threatens to shut down the venue because those same college kids are acting like thugs......that's super bad news!

Guest pod

Sasha's crowd isn't a big money crowd. That night, they had a crowd, but it was mainly the type of people that would frequent the GU board or something.

Guest Orls

We're not talking about Sasha at Space. We're talking about a venue that has been around long before Space and set the standard for EDM mega-clubs for a long time. We're talking about a market that is comprised of a rotating base, (new crop every four years), of college kids who are up for a party but have stopped going out for EDM. That's the news here. When the young, college age partiers stop going to EDM nights, it's really bad news. When the city threatens to shut down the venue because those same college kids are acting like thugs......that's super bad news!

What I am trying to get at is that in Miami I have seen the building where Masion is go thru at least five different names dating back to Club Z. I don't know much about Avalon, although I have seen in the past that they have hosted endless EDM parties, but just b/c someone in Boston may be trying bring back Rock doesn't mean that clubs will cease to exist over there. I do realize the comparison to Twilo in NY but from what I can tell since they closed NY has been as busy as ever with new and old clubs (most touching on EDM in one way shape or form).

Guest joec

truer words rarely get spoken.

amen, brotha.

Guest vaughan

YEs... Avalon was legendary... from the largest dance acts in the world, to a 3-day St. Patty's Day Boston Punk tradition with the Dropkick Murphy's... Avalon will go down in the books. I got my start in the nightclub business working the coatcheck in 1990 at a place next door to "Citi(Avalon) called Venus De Milo where this little unheard of group called Deee-Lite was in town from NYC. Yeah... I said coat-check,

What Dade and a few keen others are saying is that, although legendary, it will move on... and reinvent itself. This venue and a TON of other Beantown nightlife real estate is owned by the Lyons group. That venue has been "legendary" a few times. When I was a wee-little freshman at Northeastern University, it was the "legendary" Citi then Metro Club... then onto Avalon. And don't forget Boston-Boston which was the club's original name when Lyons bought the venue.

What every little child seems to forget, was that long before Cooljunkie, every hot-spot in town was... well, another legendary hot-spot filled with tales of "back in the day" stories....

Patrick Lyons is a genius in my opinion and his vision for Lansdowne Street is a goldmine. He was resonsible for Boston's flourishing punk scene in the late 70's, early 80's with Axis, which still sits alongside Avalon. Truth be told... AXIS is the REAL legendary Boston venue.

People... wake up and evolve... it is natural progression... in 2 years, there will be a small handful of newbies on board here at CJ and you'll be the one's embracing change telling your war-stories!

Boston club king Patrick Lyons has told the city and his Lansdowne Street neighbors he wants to replace two of Boston's most famous nightclubs with a modern entertainment complex that would include restaurants, sidewalk seating, and a terrace looking toward Fenway Park.

Taking inspiration from Wrigleyville, the friendly entertainment district associated with Chicago's Wrigley Field, Lyons said he wants to turn Avalon and Axis into a cutting-edge facility that would enhance Lansdowne Street and complement the area's main attraction, Fenway Park.

"Our last significant renovation was 12 years ago," said Lyons. "Our dream is changing the climate from all the intensity of nightclubs to more diversity -- restaurants, dining, and dancing."

Great Article on Patrick Lyons here

All this boston talk I had to toss on some Irish goodness on my Itunes this morning.

Ya see, I'm Irish, but I'm not a leprechaun

You wanna fight, then step up and we'll get it on

You get it right to the grill, I'm white and not ill

A decendant of Dublin with titanic skill

I ducked and I swing, next thing your jaw's broken

Punk I ain't jokin', you can bet you'll be chokin'

On a fist full a nothin', meanwhile I'll be puffin'

On a fat blunt, run punk, you don't know the half

Tryin' to talk shit, man, please don't make me laugh

These Irish eyes are smilin', I'm buckwillin'