Clubplanet Nightlife Community

BBC drops fictional terror attack . . .

Guest saintjohn

Guest saintjohn

. . . to avoid offending Muslims

The BBC has dropped plans to show a fictional terror attack in an episode of Casualty to avoid offending Muslims.

The first show of the hospital drama's new series was to have featured a storyline about an explosion caused by Islamic extremists.

Now the bomb will be set off by animal rights campaigners instead.

A BBC spokesman said: "With any storyline there are lots of ideas that get put forward but don't make the series."

source

Btw, I just had a little fun with Google:

"to avoid offending muslims" - 15.400 hits

"to avoid offending christians" - 200 hits

"to avoid offending hindus" - 29 hits

"to avoid offending buddhists" - 1 hit

"to avoid offending animal rights activists" - 0 hits

Guest web_norah

the BBC is a publicly funded institution paid for by all British citizens, and as i am sure you are aware of this, in England there is a very large population of muslims, christians, catholics and other ethnicities and religions.

why do people have such a hard time seeing this fact? and the reasons *why* they thread carefully around issues such as this?

Guest cire

Btw, I just had a little fun with Google:

"to avoid offending muslims" - 15.400 hits

"to avoid offending christians" - 200 hits

"to avoid offending hindus" - 29 hits

"to avoid offending buddhists" - 1 hit

"to avoid offending animal rights activists" - 0 hits

The world is bowing down, one at a time. Give Muslims another 50 years and they will be running things, due to the fact they have choked the world into submitting to their every whim. Basically they are slowly making everyone pussies, which means later all they have to do is bitch slap us and we will do as they say.

the BBC is a publicly funded institution paid for by all British citizens, and as i am sure you are aware of this, in England there is a very large population of muslims, christians, catholics and other ethnicities and religions.

why do people have such a hard time seeing this fact? and the reasons *why* they thread carefully around issues such as this?

The BBC is out of tough with reality. Same assholes who don't use the word "terrorist".

Guest web_norah

Imus was fired over his nappy headed ho's comment - to avoid 'offending people of color' ....nothing wrong there but people still bitched and saw no harm in his tirade.

It is a similar scenario, some just don't get it and that's fine too.

Guest slamminshaun

Norah, would you have supported banning the Da Vinci Code from movie theaters? As you know, it offended many Christians worldwide who were more or less told to just "get over it already". I don't recall any uproar from the media over Madonna performing a mock crucifixion on stage at her concert. Will and Grace seem to offend Christians on their NBC show with no problem....

Why don't you just admit that offending Muslims is taboo, while offending Christians is edgy and trendy.

Guest saintjohn
the BBC is a publicly funded institution paid for by all British citizens

I thought they were subjects, not citizens :)

Anyway, I get your point, but why the double standard? The BBC is concerned about insulting Muslims, but not animal rights activists?

Guest slamminshaun

South Park was banned by their network from showing Mohammad in their show, but nobody complained when Jesus took a shit on George W. Bush and the U.S. flag in one of their episodes. Yeah, no double standard there....

click here

Guest saintjohn
It is a similar scenario

Except that Imus wasn't directly supported by the government. Like you pointed out, the BBC show is funded by taxpayers, and that complicates things considerably.

You might remember (or may have read about) the furor over the Andres Serrano photograph Piss Christ. Back in the late 80s, Serrano received a $15,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to produce the work, which many Christians still find blasphemous.

Personally, I'm delighted that Serrano is free to create such works, even if it offends people. I don't think that the government should be using tax dollars to support art that is plainly meant to provoke and offend members of a certain religion, however.

I can't imagine what sort of reaction there would be today if Serrano created a similar work using sacred Islamic icons.

At the same time, I doubt that anyone at the BBC would've bothered to re-write a script to avoid insulting Christians, Hindus, or Buddhists. They certainly don't seem to have any qualms about offending the delicate sensibilities of the ALF.

So, again - why the double standard?

Guest web_norah

In times like today, tensions run high in the UK especially when dealing with a large Muslim population, recent attacks, etc...Living there helps me understand it and profoundly.

If British people were so bothered, in a socially conscious country like the UK, where most people protest freely and openly disagree to their own leaders without fear --if tax payers didn't like what you're claiming here, trust that they'd have complained and done something about it ...still, like the NHS (National Health Service - GB's universal health care system), the BBC's tax fee is everyone's responsibility, like it or not, it is not going to change.

Guest web_norah

Norah' date=' would you have supported banning the Da Vinci Code from movie theaters? As you know, it offended many Christians worldwide who were more or less told to just "get over it already". I don't recall any uproar from the media over Madonna performing a mock crucifixion on stage at her concert. Will and Grace seem to offend Christians on their NBC show with no problem....

Why don't you just admit that offending Muslims is taboo, while offending Christians is edgy and trendy.

[/quote']

I don't give shit about the Da Vinci Code, either way.

The Vatican didn't like Madonna's show either, the world still lived.

If you understood what it is like living in a country where all religions and political tendencies are respected, maybe you'd know where I am coming from.

Guest JMT

the answer is pretty clear; the likelyhood that one of those other groups will threaten a holy war for offending them is relatively low.

Guest saintjohn

I take it all back:

JihadMusicalUPPA_468x410.jpg

Muslim fury as 'Jihad The Musical' comes to the UK

International terrorism and the threat to Britain from Al-Qaeda would probably be deemed by most as unlikely subject matter for a musical.

After all, suicide bombing, mass bloodshed and fundamental Islam do not exactly lend themselves to singing and dancing.

But Jihad the Musical by the Silk Circle Production company has forged on regardless and is already being performed on stage at the Edinburgh Festival.

The controversial satire about Islamic terrorism includes such classic tunes as "Building a bomb today, what does the manual say" and "I wanna be like Osama".

2JihadMusicalUPPA_468x310.jpg

source

Guest cire

The controversial satire about Islamic terrorism includes such classic tunes as "Building a bomb today, what does the manual say" and "I wanna be like Osama".

source

LMFAO! :D lol That's just great ;)

Guest web_norah

i guess you haven't seen Litte Britain, The Office UK or do not understand British humor.

- it is ok, i didn't when i moved over ..part of its brilliance is their ability to laugh and make fun of each other, and the absurdity of it all, part of includes the race and religion card...something Americans just can't handle at all.

Guest web_norah

You can always count on CNN to stick up for terrorists. What a crock of shit these guys are pushing. They want you to believe that there are just as many Jewish and Christian groups out there hellbent on destroying civilizations as there are Muslim groups......

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/gods.warriors/

Shaun stick to giving "marital" advice or your mortgage stuff

So' date=' what you're saying is that by doing a report on ALL religious extremists, like Christians, Muslim and Jews, CNN is supporting terrorism? Please.

Israel extremists, the IRA and Timothy Mc Veigh all carried out terrorist-like acts of violence, in the name of religion ---sorry they're not excluded or ANY DIFFERENT than Muslim extremists, they're just using a different label or God.

all religion extremism is [b']BAD ...get a grip and stop talking shit about something you don't know anything about, or are you also a Israel can-do-no-wrong supporter ? or Christians don't commit extreme acts of violence denying ?

Orthodox Jew asks evangelical Christians to fund West Bank settlements

Poll found 59% of U.S. evangelicals believe Israel is fulfillment of prophecy

One rabbi raised $39 million last year from Christian Zionists for settlements

Guest slamminshaun

You can always count on CNN to stick up for terrorists. What a crock of shit these guys are pushing. They want you to believe that there are just as many Jewish and Christian groups out there hellbent on destroying civilizations as there are Muslim groups......

So, what you're saying is that by doing a report on ALL religious extremists, like Christians, Muslim and Jews, CNN is supporting terrorism? Please.

Israel extremists, the IRA and Timothy Mc Veigh all carried out terrorist-like acts of violence, in the name of religion ---sorry they're not excluded or ANY DIFFERENT than Muslim extremists, they're just using a different label or God.

all religion extremism is BAD ...get a grip and stop talking shit about something you don't know anything about, or are you also a Israel can-do-no-wrong supporter ? or Christians don't commit extreme acts of violence denying ?

I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying Norah. CNN is attempting to "level the playing field" by suggesting that Jews and Christians are just as hellbent on destroying the world as Muslims are. Sorry, but statistically your point-of-view is ridiculous.

For every McVeigh you bring up, I can bring up 10,000 Mohammads.....the report by CNN is unnecessary in times like ours. Even if you believe Christians/Jews are just as dangerous as Muslims, this story does nothing but stir up the pot. It serves no purpose other than to create a divide among people who are already divided.

If you were on a plane sitting behind an evangelical Christian, orthodox Jew, and Islamic fundamentalist....who are you most concerned about? If your answer isn't the Muslim, then you're either lying or just straight-up insane.

click here to see how you get punished in Iran for having an adult beverage

Guest web_norah

Ok so you just stated the obvious

Muslims are scumbags because there is just more of them and not enough Tim Mc Veighs, IRA, Israeli / Christian extremists, sure that makes it OK and like a sound way of explaining things. ::)

I am concerned about people seeing things black and white, Muslims are the evil, Christians do no wrong because they're a small % of the problem.

Extremist religion, religion itself is the problem here and you FAIL to see that because like every other war supporter or anti Muslim, it is only them who throw stones and blow themselves up, not us, right?

I think NOT.

Guest drlogic

Ok so you just stated the obvious

Muslims are scumbags because there is just more of them and not enough Tim Mc Veighs, IRA, Israeli / Christian extremists, sure that makes it OK and like a sound way of explaining things. ::)

I am concerned about people seeing things black and white, Muslims are the evil, Christians do no wrong because they're a small % of the problem.

Extremist religion, religion itself is the problem here and you FAIL to see that because like every other war supporter or anti Muslim, it is only them who throw stones and blow themselves up, not us, right?

I think NOT.

Whatever school you attended,,,,I think you got rigged, 4 real!. I'd ask for a refund. It's one thing to disagree and quite another to just illustrate a complete and total lack of understanding of right/wrong and history as a whole. these are sersious time w/ serisous consequences and ANYONE who finds comfort in justifying a vicious enemies actions/tactics who are determined to make all of us extinct just for the sake of winning an online blog pissig contest either doesn't understand the issue,,doesn't care and is activly doing the enemies propaganda work free of cost.

Guest michael^heaven

There are wrong-do'ers throughout any & all religions. We're all human & certainly not all perfect. Unfortunately, there are some that use religion for their own personal gains or use religion as a mask for murdering the innocent.

I think NOT.

Extremist religion a problem? Yes, I would have to agree. Whether it's forcing your own religion/denomination down other people's throats or in relation to terrorist extremists. However, religion, itself, can most certainly be a healthy aspect in life. Especially, a religion that teaches pure love of all mankind.

Guest slamminshaun

So, what you're saying is that by doing a report on ALL religious extremists, like Christians, Muslim and Jews, CNN is supporting terrorism? Please.

all religion extremism is BAD ...get a grip and stop talking shit about something you don't know anything about, or are you also a Israel can-do-no-wrong supporter ? or Christians don't commit extreme acts of violence denying ?

Anything I ever say, you automatically assume you're supposed to say the opposite and then tell me I shouldn't talk about things I know nothing about. That's why I find this blog very interesting. You see, it's written by a VERY liberal columnist, Sharon Cobb....but she seems to be able to put politics aside and call a spade a spade. Read it and learn a thing or two about radicalism among the 3 religions....