Clubplanet Nightlife Community

For those with Direct TV

D11, the next bird to fly, should fly come this Dec. They will launch this one from Sea Launch instead of Borats home country like D10 was. D10 is still on track to be turned on 3-4 weeks from now which should give about 40HD channels, they just had to get it in the proper orbit then test it. Once D11 is ready come Jan, we are looking at 150 HD channels. 90% of the NFL games will be in HD this year, it's just CBS is fucking cheap.

If you have cable, good luck with your handful of downgraded HD channels.

My 61' tv should be here today or Friday! woot!

FedEx CUP (Pulling for the Mick!)

Football (Rutgers opens up on the 30th!)

US Open (come on Andy, beat Roger)

Can't wait! :o

ps. The new HD will be MPEG 4 not 2 which was the old HD signal.

Guest pod

Cable is taking a beating on all fronts.

- Customer service

- capacity - FiOS (Verizon) and U-Verse (AT&T's FTTN tech) are outrunning it. Eventually the telcos will all just lay fiber to the premises.

- HD offerings.

It makes offering a 'triple-play' a bitch. DirecTV has their HD lineup, but no data worth mentioning. I don't care what the bandwidth is, the latency kills it. Cable has shitty HD, but decent data.

The only realistic triple-play right now is FiOS.

Why does one need the "triple play" btw, there really isn't such a thing any more, only families have land lines. I have comcrap and Dtv. The reason why families have land lines are for the kids, but I can see some families just leaving old cell phones plugged in all over, which all by law can still dial 911.

good .. but

there wont actually be 150 "individual" HD channels .. almost all of the nfl games ? .. how many channels is that alone ?

Comcast says it will have some 400 "choices" of HD channels by the end of the year .. we shall wait and see

>> an article on this here

The NFL games will only account for about 30 channels, thus why it's going to be well over 100. Comcrap is lying, you ain't getting anywhere near 400. The most you'll really get is about 30. They don't have the infrastructure in place to push that amount of data. Cable is loosing the war, by Jan it will be over, Cable is done for years to come. Dtv is even adding On Demand plus our boxes are interactive such as switching camera angle during the yankees games.

You can pay thousands of workers to dig ditches and lay lines or you can launch 2 satellites. From Block Buster to Banks to Cable TV, to music stores, the reality is, they are all loosing market share to companies who have little or no infrastructure.

Guest pod

Triple play, mainly for the discounts and convenience of one bill. The only good one right now is FiOS. Having that strand of fiber, Verizon can cram almost unlimited data down it, just by changing what is on each end, and not even. The gear at each end is flash-upgradeable over a few generations.

However, right now, if you want the best performance for data, TV, and voice, you gotta split your money three ways. I'm enthused about T-Mobile's HotSpot service, since it essentially turns your (Wi-Fi capable) cell phone into a land phone when you are at home, and you don't hog minutes. For data, well, here in South Florida, there's really only Comcrap and AT&T. There's Covad and such, but they all travel along AT&T's lines. On a good line, Bellsouth DSL isn't bad.

61" stepping it up to the big hog! What did you end going with plasma, LED or the old school bigger box type?

I looked at 2394572349574 tvs, I came away with 2 conclusions.

1. LCD flat panels are by far the best tvs you can buy

2. 50's tvs are far too small

With that being in mind I bought a 61' inch, rear projection, DLP, LCD slimline that is only 11inches deep. Anything over 50's in a plasma or LCD flat panel the price jumps well above 3k.

I can't see spending 3k or more on a tv that will be half the price next year. So my tv will give me 90% of the picture quality of the LCD flat panel and 99% of the PQ of the plasmas but for half the price and about 11 inches larger. Plus it's only 11 inches deep, so I could hang it if I wanted to. I got a free warranty as well.

However the high end rear protection tvs from Mitsu and Sony rival anything out there. Especially the sony's but it will cost you.

Also my tv viewing angles are nothing like RP of the past, there is no to little effect being at a bad angle. I almost bought the 67' model from costco.

00000120535-SamsungHLT6176SDLP-large.jpeg

Guest ramon

D11, the next bird to fly, should fly come this Dec. They will launch this one from Sea Launch instead of Borats home country like D10 was. D10 is still on track to be turned on 3-4 weeks from now which should give about 40HD channels, they just had to get it in the proper orbit then test it. Once D11 is ready come Jan, we are looking at 150 HD channels. 90% of the NFL games will be in HD this year, it's just CBS is fucking cheap.

If you have cable, good luck with your handful of downgraded HD channels.

My 61' tv should be here today or Friday! woot!

FedEx CUP (Pulling for the Mick!)

Football (Rutgers opens up on the 30th!)

US Open (come on Andy, beat Roger)

Can't wait! :o

ps. The new HD will be MPEG 4 not 2 which was the old HD signal.

H.264 is the way forward indeed.

Guest ramon

good .. but

there wont actually be 150 "individual" HD channels .. almost all of the nfl games ? .. how many channels is that alone ?

Comcast says it will have some 400 "choices" of HD channels by the end of the year .. we shall wait and see

The NFL games will only account for about 30 channels, thus why it's going to be well over 100. Comcrap is lying, you ain't getting anywhere near 400. The most you'll really get is about 30. They don't have the infrastructure in place to push that amount of data. Cable is loosing the war, by Jan it will be over, Cable is done for years to come. Dtv is even adding On Demand plus our boxes are interactive such as switching camera angle during the yankees games.

You can pay thousands of workers to dig ditches and lay lines or you can launch 2 satellites. From Block Buster to Banks to Cable TV, to music stores, the reality is, they are all loosing market share to companies who have little or no infrastructure.

Comcast has 10GE at the Edge and its IP. However they aren't transporting it that way to the Customer.

I think 30-40 is a realistic number.

MPEG-4 (H.264) makes it easier to transport HD as well with a stream coming in at 9-10Mbit instead of 18-20Mbit.

Guest RzO

61" stepping it up to the big hog! What did you end going with plasma, LED or the old school bigger box type?

With that being in mind I bought a 61' inch, rear projection, DLP, LCD slimline that is only 11inches deep. Anything over 50's in a plasma or LCD flat panel the price jumps well above 3k.

I can't see spending 3k or more on a tv that will be half the price next year. So my tv will give me 90% of the picture quality of the LCD flat panel and 99% of the PQ of the plasmas but for half the price and about 11 inches larger. Plus it's only 11 inches deep, so I could hang it if I wanted to. I got a free warranty as well.

However the high end rear protection tvs from Mitsu and Sony rival anything out there. Especially the sony's but it will cost you.

Also my tv viewing angles are nothing like RP of the past, there is no to little effect being at a bad angle. I almost bought the 67' model from costco.

00000120535-SamsungHLT6176SDLP-large.jpeg

that is a really good choice. It is just as clear as a flat screen, its all about room, if u have enough to house a dlp, it will last longer and cost u less.(my good friend installs home theaters in all the mcmansions up here)

I have a 51 dlp and it is just fine.

I have comcast and I hate them, thing is I dont want a dish since my condo place it would have to go on the roof since i have no porch(i have a solarium instead) and i dont want that shit getting ripped down in a hurricane.

Comcast just raised the price again this month. And then yesterday i noticed I didn't have my NFL channel HD which is a must have for fantasy, I called and they said well we redid the tiers and that doesn't come in the hd tier anymore u have to get this sports tier. Luckily is is only $1.99 a month, but still I hate them, my cable is now $150/month with internet. Alot of money but whatever gotta have it. I am going to dump hbo after entourage which will lower it like 15 bucks.

Guest slamminshaun

What are the dimensions of your room? I know people THINK bigger is better, but that's only if the size of your room can support it. Doesn't make sense to have a TV that size if, let's say, the room were 10 x 10....you'd be better off with a smaller TV as to preserve the clarity of the picture. I have a 57" myself, but the room dimensions keep me 10-11 ft away from the screen.

Guest RzO

61" stepping it up to the big hog! What did you end going with plasma' date=' LED or the old school bigger box type?

[/quote']

What are the dimensions of your room? I know people THINK bigger is better, but that's only if the size of your room can support it. Doesn't make sense to have a TV that size if, let's say, the room were 10 x 10....you'd be better off with a smaller TV as to preserve the clarity of the picture. I have a 57" myself, but the room dimensions keep me 10-11 ft away from the screen.

that is a good point, I am about 8 feet away from my 51". I just busted out the tape measure cause of your post.

Right now i'm 11 feet from front of screen to the front of the closest seat, however my current tv is 22 inches deep, thus my new one, call it a foot is thiner thus I'll be at 12 feet at the closest point, however I can move back both my couches an additional 4 feet so the min I can be is 16 feet.

the guy at the store said it's triple your screen size, which is this case is 15 feet for my tv. So I'm perfect.

Guest pod

The cable companies and the telcos are experimenting with, and slowly deploying, in some situations, switched digital video (SDV).

What SDV is, is a method of keeping unused channels at the edge of the network, and they're only transmitted to the customer upon request.

Right now, the entire lineup of channels on a given cable system is transmitted to all the clients at once. Even if you're not watching ESPN2, your box is getting it.

SDV keeps unused channels at the edge, and only broadcasts streams to people that request them. Thus, freeing up capacity on older copper networks, and keeping fiber networks running efficient.

Guest ramon

The cable companies and the telcos are experimenting with, and slowly deploying, in some situations, switched digital video (SDV).

What SDV is, is a method of keeping unused channels at the edge of the network, and they're only transmitted to the customer upon request.

Right now, the entire lineup of channels on a given cable system is transmitted to all the clients at once. Even if you're not watching ESPN2, your box is getting it.

SDV keeps unused channels at the edge, and only broadcasts streams to people that request them. Thus, freeing up capacity on older copper networks, and keeping fiber networks running efficient.

Some of the PON/GPON OLT support this already so you only have to pull a stream once from a headend and then re-transmit it locally to all your users off that one OLT. This is in IPTV land though.

Guest klubveteran

good .. but

yes there will be 150 channels by end of winter next year. (February)

all NFL games are in HD when you get the NFL ticket super fan package in HD. DTV is the ONLY company authorized for that until 2010. They are ready to announce a new deal with the NFL soon. They also got the MLB season pass and Nascar.