Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FiOS is on a roll.

Guest pod

Guest ramon

FiOS TV tops cable in customer satisfaction.

Why does AT&T suck?

Seriously, they're trying to get every last cent out of an aged copper infrastructure.

AT&T needs to just throw down and start laying fiber all over.

They are doing that in markets where they compete with FIOS. I don't see it happening here in SoFla however.

Their solution is called U-Verse.

U-Verse is a crock. It's FTTN (Fiber to the Node/Neighborhood). The last mile is still copper.

Cable networks are essentially FTTN. A lot of cable nowadays is distributed by fiber until it hits the 'hood and then it switches down to copper.

AT&T has the resources of Verizon. Man up, take the initial hit, and lay the fiber. It will come back in droves. Verizon has established the precedent for quality information delivery over 1 cable, it's time everyone else caught up.

South Florida doesn't need to be a bandwidth backwater. Lay the fiber, shut down the copper, and be done with it.

It's been done before with digital cable transitions, and is being done now with the switch to digital TV in general. You move it over, and people will simply fall in line and pay for the new shit, even if they don't think they need it.

Guest ramon

U-Verse is a crock. It's FTTN (Fiber to the Node/Neighborhood). The last mile is still copper.

Cable networks are essentially FTTN. A lot of cable nowadays is distributed by fiber until it hits the 'hood and then it switches down to copper.

AT&T has the resources of Verizon. Man up, take the initial hit, and lay the fiber. It will come back in droves. Verizon has established the precedent for quality information delivery over 1 cable, it's time everyone else caught up.

South Florida doesn't need to be a bandwidth backwater. Lay the fiber, shut down the copper, and be done with it.

It's been done before with digital cable transitions, and is being done now with the switch to digital TV in general. You move it over, and people will simply fall in line and pay for the new shit, even if they don't think they need it.

I don't see it happening Dan. It costs them too much to do so. I hope I'm wrong though and what's their benefit. There's not really much competition for them regardless.

Guest ramon

I know, but they can only nurse their 50-year old infrastructure along for so much longer.

AT&T in the Southeast is run by cavemen.

Not quite ;)

Look at what AT&T is doing in Atlanta and North/South Carolina.

Nowhere near what Verizon is doing in the Northeast. It's funny, Verizon has a shit mobile network, but fantastic internet service, whereas AT&T's internet service leaves a lot to be desired, but their mobile service isn't all that bad in comparison.

Guest ramon

For me, Dtv is all I need for HD TV, and comcast as much as I hate them, their speed is fine for my use.

If BPL ever takes off, good bye cable companies, it will be Dish, DTV and BPL forever along with Cell phones and no land lines.

Believe it or not there's a lot of Fiber that runs on FPL electrical lines and FPL has a full Fiber network called FPL FiberNet.

I'd love to see some competition to Comcast here though. Something with IPTV and some serious bandwidth :)

BPL is still using copper though. FPL's fiber optic network is pretty much for their use only though.

We've got to get to the point where it's standard that every residence and business just gets a fiber-optic drop standard.

Guest ramon

BPL is still using copper though. FPL's fiber optic network is pretty much for their use only though.

We've got to get to the point where it's standard that every residence and business just gets a fiber-optic drop standard.

Who's going to pay for that Dan? I can see it being viable in new construction , but who's going retrofit the older locations.

Eventually the whole copper infrastructure is going to fall apart. More and more, the people who know how to work on it are retiring. I know Verizon is dumping less and less into training new techs to manage their copper. Eventually, the other companies will follow suit in this manner. At some point, there'll be no one around to fix things if there's a problem.

It just sucks because there's zero effort down here for FTTH. U-Verse is just another band-aid solution.

Who will pay for it? The customers, of course. When most of the "cool" content is being delivered by fiber, people will mortgage their houses to pay for it. I've seen people live on Ramen so they have the bucks to pay for cable.