Clubplanet Nightlife Community

\\\\\ Karu&Y announces HAPPY HOUR! /////

Guest swank

Guest swank

James...Karu&Y is not for everyone and they understand that... Those who will pre-game at their car before going out are def not Karu&Y customers. What they are doing is offering a standardized happy hour for 1 person or 100 people if they show up there.

I don't see any other venues in that area offering six hour two4one until midnight to anyone....in fact I pay $16 for cocktails on the beach and the service is not always great. I will gladly accept their offer in the brand new,clean, and friendly environment.

Guest eroc0411

thats the problem w/ karu and y... theres nothing else there!!! I've gone more often, im trying 2 support.. Not that they need my money... but more stores, businesses are needed in that area.(maybe a school or something) .. WHen was that area happening/??? late 80's???? jesus its like a whole square mile of boarded up store fronts...

i really dont want that place 2 close down!!! And neither should miami... jaja maybe they will give them tax relief...

karu is # 2... MAp of development

http://www.loopconsulting.com/projects/mdda/march2007/DDA_Hot_Spots_Map.pdf

A school. Hell no. Then the clubs would have to shut down.

But some economic stimulation is needed for the area. Along with patrols out in force to discourage the homeless from being near the businesses and venues. Unfortunately, a court case Pottinger vs Miami handcuffs authorities from actively moving homeless people out of an area.

http://osaka.law.miami.edu/~schnably/pottinger/Settlement.html

The Pottinger Settlement, reached by the City of Miami in 1998 after a lengthy court case, states that homeless people cannot be arrested for engaging in “life sustaining†activities, including sleeping, eating and public nudity related to bathing and calls of nature. The ruling, named after a homeless plaintiff named Michael Pottinger, also makes it legal for homeless people to create “temporary structures†to sleep in.

In other words, the neo-liberal morons struck really early in this situation, and our police are restrained from really going on the offensive against aggressive homeless.

PD unfortunately can't just go "Move, ya lousy bum!"

One of the few proactive things the City is trying to do at the moment is overturn Pottinger, so the Entertainment District and other areas can be truly cleaned up.

Guest swank

It would be nice to see other lounge,club,or restaurant businesses in the close proximity in order to offer more options to people who venture into the area. And yes...sometimes it is nice to not get harassed. I've personally never been harassed at Karu&Y but can't say the same for the other strip downtown.... :-\

The thing with Karu & Y is that you have to valet, there's no lot, so like zero chance of encountering one of the local urban outdoorsmen. 11th? You can valet or park, so there's more of a chance of encountering one of the local indigents.

Guest DeepHouseMan

I don't see any other venues in that area offering six hour two4one until midnight to anyone

Hmmm... Max's Grill in Fort Lauderdale!

3 for 1 drinks anytime, anyday!

Sorry Bruce, I had too! ;D

The place does suck ass, but if you want to get tanked, this is the dump to be at! I don't care if they are playing reggaeton or some Polynesian music from your islands, I'll just throw on my Ipod! LOLOLOL

Guest swank

I don't see any other venues in that area offering six hour two4one until midnight to anyone

Hmmm...Max's Grill in Fort Lauderdale!

3 for 1 drinks anytime, anyday!

Sorry Bruce, I had too! ;D

The place does suck ass, but if you want to get tanked, this is the dump to be at! I don't care if they are playing reggaeton or some Polynesian music from your islands, I'll just throw on my Ipod! LOLOLOL

you must be typing from the bar right now....since when is Max's Grill in FLL close to Karu&Y in Downtown Miami on 14th st.

Same area means in close proximity....c'mon now son!

Hell there's some great places by my house in Mizner Park :P

Guest klieko

there is totally stuff to do there, you can always score a nice crack rock while you wait for the valet. plus, everyone that drinks super premium loves to see helicopters searching for criminals as an evening back drop- that is luxurious

The choppers are cool.

Once Pottinger gets overturned, expect police patrols in force to relocate the homeless away from these areas. Put them in work camps.

Sarnoff (commissioner for that district) has it as one of his goals.

Guest swank

there is totally stuff to do there, you can always score a nice crack rock while you wait for the valet. plus, everyone that drinks super premium loves to see helicopters searching for criminals as an evening back drop- that is luxurious

I'm glad you registered just to participate in this thread...

And about the helicopters there's nothing like a little reality TV to add to your night! ;)

Guest nightclub buddha

IMO - It's a beautiful place...they spared no expense (what did they put into it? $25M?) Regardless, the only people who go there are the same club types as everywhere else, and well....they go usually starting at midnight. The problem with happy hour there is (1) it's broad daylight, so the run-down buildings and boarded-up windows are highly visible when driving there (not to mention the crack-heads walking the streets like zombies), (2) many cars have been broken into (even during the day), and (3) they are competing against places like Brickell area and Coconut Grove for those happy hour people....so why drive through the desert to find this "oasis" when you can find happy hour paradise in places like downtown by Brickell Ave?

Quick question Swank...Happy Hour at Karu & Y on SATURDAY??? Now that's hearing crickets! Will you be there at 6pm on Saturday?

Guest swank

IMO - It's a beautiful place...they spared no expense (what did they put into it? $25M?) Regardless, the only people who go there are the same club types as everywhere else, and well....they go usually starting at midnight. The problem with happy hour there is (1) it's broad daylight, so the run-down buildings and boarded-up windows are highly visible when driving there (not to mention the crack-heads walking the streets like zombies), (2) many cars have been broken into (even during the day), and (3) they are competing against places like Brickell area and Coconut Grove for those happy hour people....so why drive through the desert to find this "oasis" when you can find happy hour paradise in places like downtown by Brickell Ave?

Quick question Swank...Happy Hour at Karu & Y on SATURDAY??? Now that's hearing crickets! Will you be there at 6pm on Saturday?

Karu&Y is def a destination venue and I guess they are trying to give back to those who support. Maybe in a year from now...if the Happy Hour is still going on and you're in the area with a client...you might just stop by because you'll know that there is a Happy Hour and there's people there.

I like the Oasis value of the venue because once inside you don't feel like you're in downtown Miami.

Crickets on a Saturday Night....nahhh. The restaurant is full as of 7PM so those who are waiting can take advantage.

The Buddha has a valid point, which a lot have echoed in the past, that it's a beautiful place, but in the most godawful neighborhood.

I'm not one to flinch in the face of crack-dom, but even I'll spend a few bucks (and me being such a cheapskate!) on a cab if I'm going from Karu & Y to Space. Even though they're practically within sight of each other.

Maybe I can get a police chopper to transport me.

Guest eroc0411

as stupid as i am... when i get tipsy i get brave and i have walked from karu 2 space... It's still not as scarry as walking from space 2 biscayne ave or making that wrong turn and walking towards the miami arena...

If karu gave away free parking i think they be in a better position...

fine u wanna charge me 20 bucks 4 a red bull vodka... fine but $10-20 for parking, fuck that hurts... ..especially when im rolling in my 2004 honda civic....

+ pod i thought u like gritty maybe around 2 am u take pics of the miami skyline from karu and y... its beautiful... u can make it very dramatic...

Guest james stratus

as stupid as i am... when i get tipsy i get brave and i have walked from karu 2 space...

I've done that too. and I was really drunk and took a wrong street and had to jump a fence old school NY style :P Dead ends in down town are the stupidest and unsafe thing downtown. When I did this the crack bums were kind of scared of me ;D

If I was traveling sans equipment, I'd have no issue walking from Karu & Y to Space.

Our best hope right now is to get Pottinger overturned so the cops can do their job and flush these indigents out of the neighborhood.

Except for a few, believe it or not, there's like 3 or 4 homeless who actually help out in the neighborhood.

Guest Ryan EliteEnt

Karu&Y is def a destination venue and I guess they are trying to give back to those who support. Maybe in a year from now...if the Happy Hour is still going on and you're in the area with a client...you might just stop by because you'll know that there is a Happy Hour and there's people there.

I like the Oasis value of the venue because once inside you don't feel like you're in downtown Miami.

Crickets on a Saturday Night....nahhh. The restaurant is full as of 7PM so those who are waiting can take advantage.

No Club "gives back", they are doing it to get people into the venue! Not give back to ppl.

Guest JustDade

No Club "gives back", they are doing it to get people into the venue! Not give back to ppl.

A lot of these threads about KY have a common theme. When they built this place they never envisioned having "Deep House" parties or any other normal club promotion. The place was built for the "Coral Gables" and "Bal Harbour" elite. They thought that the place would be full of rich latins every night enjoying a $250 per person dinner followed by a couple of bottles of champagne. The truth is that they don't have that crowd. After all....how many times is someone going to drive from Coconut Grove to eat in the ghetto when there are great restaurants closer that don't require running the crack gauntlet and have much better food? So it starts to fail....the food quality dropped first. The service, which in the beginning was one waiter for each customer, went next. Then it was bring in the promoters and DJs.

Now that's ok but you have to adjust everything. They have targeted the deep house crowd with Swank's party but they are still pricing for the Gables elite. Why? Then they decide to do happy hour. It's just a way to sell drinks cheaper in the hopes of more people showing up without having to admit that they failed to bring in the VIPs.

So now they've created something that hangs between markets and really appeals to nobody. The elite don't want to go to a place that caters to the deep house or any other music crowd. The dance crowds don't really want to go to a place with super expensive drinks and older stuck-up people. They can't use the main garden because of noise issues. The small garden is also a noise problem.

In the end it's another move born out of desperation and lack of experience to do happy hour......just my opinion.

Guest swank

Any successful business with a conscience will try to the best of their ability to give back. Some give coupons or rebates...some give free nights plus breakfast included. If it is done with the best of intentions then it will be successful.... if you are a smart consumer, you will search out these deals and hence be successful at saving yourself a little money.

Yes it gives the establishment another chance to get in front of their customer and prove what great goods and services they have to offer.

Guest JustDade

Any successful business with a conscience will try to the best of their ability to give back. Some give coupons or rebates...some give free nights plus breakfast included. If it is done with the best of intentions then it will be successful.... if you are a smart consumer, you will search out these deals and hence be successful at saving yourself a little money.

Yes it gives the establishment another chance to get in front of their customer and prove what great goods and services they have to offer.

A lot of these threads about KY have a common theme. When they built this place they never envisioned having "Deep House" parties or any other normal club promotion. The place was built for the "Coral Gables" and "Bal Harbour" elite. They thought that the place would be full of rich latins every night enjoying a $250 per person dinner followed by a couple of bottles of champagne. The truth is that they don't have that crowd. After all....how many times is someone going to drive from Coconut Grove to eat in the ghetto when there are great restaurants closer that don't require running the crack gauntlet and have much better food? So it starts to fail....the food quality dropped first. The service, which in the beginning was one waiter for each customer, went next. Then it was bring in the promoters and DJs.

Now that's ok but you have to adjust everything. They have targeted the deep house crowd with Swank's party but they are still pricing for the Gables elite. Why? Then they decide to do happy hour. It's just a way to sell drinks cheaper in the hopes of more people showing up without having to admit that they failed to bring in the VIPs.

So now they've created something that hangs between markets and really appeals to nobody. The elite don't want to go to a place that caters to the deep house or any other music crowd. The dance crowds don't really want to go to a place with super expensive drinks and older stuck-up people. They can't use the main garden because of noise issues. The small garden is also a noise problem.

In the end it's another move born out of desperation and lack of experience to do happy hour......just my opinion.

Guest swank

Just wasted 20 minutes replying to this post and it was too long....hence it erased my post... >:( Maybe it is better that way.

Long story short...come to my party and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to always see the empty side of the glass. The reason they own the club and we sit behind a message board is because they did different things than we did and it didn't include bashing others....

I am NOT the spokesman for Karu&Y just a guy throwing a party.