Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Space gives Karu and Y a legal beat down!

V. Barbarino

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

(4) Hours of operation. The hours of operation for the sale of liquor shall be restricted for each Entertainment District as follows:

a. Brickell Village district: liquor sales shall cease at 5:00 a.m.

b. Brickell Riverside district: liquor sales shall cease at 5:00 a.m.

c. Park West district shall have no restrictions on hours of operation.

d. Media Entertainment district: liquor sales shall cease at 5:00 a.m.

e. Overtown district: liquor sales shall cease at 5:00 a.m.

Guest coach
Coach, I don't think that we're looking at the demise of anything but Space and LP make a good point. If they turn a blind eye to illegal afterhours parties

So, what is LP, now, the Police? Like I said, if you know someone is doing something illegal, call the Popo.

Remember....every cover that goes through the K&Y door after 5 am comes straight out of LP's pocket. And one thing I know for sure is that he hates people in his pocket.
Not true. Some of those people will be Morillo fans who would not be going to Space, anyway, since Morillo isn't at Space that night. Some will be Karu fans, who would not be going to Space that night, anyway. Sure, some of it will be out of LP's pocket, but not "every" one.

Guest JustDade
So, what is LP, now, the Police? Like I said, if you know someone is doing something illegal, call the Popo.

Not true. Some of those people will be Morillo fans who would not be going to Space, anyway, since Morillo isn't at Space that night. Some will be Karu fans, who would not be going to Space that night, anyway. Sure, some of it will be out of LP's pocket, but not "every" one.

That's splitting hairs. Morillo fan or not, if they're paying a cover after 5 am they're supposed to be doing it on 11th Street. And as I said, i'm sure he'll be alerting the Popo as well.

While I'm usually the first to call LP out as an asshole and have been on the receiving end of his wrath more than once, I fail to see him as the bad-guy on this one. Sure, he could take a passive attitude and say' "who cares?", but that would not be very LP and would cost him money.

Does anybody here think that they're right to promote this as an extended hours event? What about the people who bought tickets believing they could party into the next day? We've seen people say things like they have a 22-23 license when no such thing exists. They've told me that all they have to do is stop serving alcohol between 5 and 7 am to be legal but it's clear that's not true. They should know what their license allows them to do and they should operate within those limitations.

Guest coach
Does anybody here think that they're right to promote this as an extended hours event?

Not unless they have the right to do so!

Guest earmuffs

We do this in NY all the time...

Fridays the bar re-opens at 8am (Saturday Morning)

Saturdays the bar re-opens at 12pm. (Sunday Morning).

Whats the problem shutting the bar down (no alcohol) after 5am...I dont see anything on that flyer that says theres alcohol for the entire time..

Guest coach

Not correct, Pod. The correct answer would be "You are clearly not a Miamian if you don't see the problem." Shutting the bar down for a few hours at an after-hours event is common practice in pretty much every city in America except Miami. Of course, for them, after hours starts at 2am, but the issue is the same: Clubs can and do stay open without alcohol sales.

Guest JustDade
Not correct, Pod. The correct answer would be "You are clearly not a Miamian if you don't see the problem." Shutting the bar down for a few hours at an after-hours event is common practice in pretty much every city in America except Miami. Of course, for them, after hours starts at 2am, but the issue is the same: Clubs can and do stay open without alcohol sales.

We're not used to that here because the law on Miami Beach says that you have to empty the venue of customers, close and lock the doors by 5am. You can not re-admit patrons until 8 am. The City of Miami code does not specify that you have to empty and close from what I can see. So I guess the question is; Are they misleading customers because they don't clearly state that alcohol sales will stop at 5 am?

Guest earmuffs

In NY it's 4am

Friday nights 4-8am its closed

Saturday nights its 4a-12pm closed.

and I dont get the problem as long as they have the party, and they shut/re-open the bars at a certain time....

Guest JustDade
The problem is, people aren't able to drink. 2 hours is hell, I can only imagine 4.

So I was curious about the facts and decided to call an old friend who is a liquor license attorney. This is what he told me.....

There are several different licenses.

If they are licensed as a restaurant with full liquor, they must stop serving at 3 am and can not resume service until 8 am Mon-Sat and Noon on Sun. However, they can have customers in the venue during non-serving hours as long as food is being served.

If they are licensed as a nightclub, they can sell alcohol until 5 am. They must close and empty the venue by 5 am just like SoBe. They can re-open and begin serving at 8 am on Mon-Sat and Noon on Sun.

I don't know which license they have.

Guest ICON

It's no different than my company having to pay royalities each month to broadcast our streams, while new internet radio stations (who are now our direct competition) isnt paying for shit, therefore spending the money they should be paying for royalities on improving their sites (Launching new channels, better software, more bandwidth, etc)... You bet im going to turn their ass in.. in fact, Im going to do it in the same manner just to let them know thaat I know what they are doing and if they dont start doing shit the legal way Im going to turn their asses in. Either they start paying royalites (just like I am) or Im going to have their ass shut down...

LP has every right in the world to do this and I have respect for him for protecting his pocket and his hard work from the past. A new kid on the block cant just open up shop without following the rules. - That's bullshit.

and whoever said "LP didnt invent after hours" - It sure fucking looks like he did to me

engine.cgi?idd=1&u=1tuc3FosiY8G&command=engine.showImage.show&galleryID=2007-10-15&imageID=13&width=468&height=312

Guest JustDade

I also asked about VIP and customers who bought their drinks before 5 am. He said that it is simple.....the license allows you to sell or serve alcohol for consumption on premise within the specific city codes. Any service or consumption after those designated hours is "technically" illegal. Quote: "If the wrong cop walks in at 5:15 and sees people drinking...someone's going to jail and the place will probably have their license suspended or revoked." He says that you can't give the booze away and you can't allow alcohol to be consumed on premise, even by the DJ, after 5 am....end of story.

Guest Untouchable Chino
I also asked about VIP and customers who bought their drinks before 5 am. He said that it is simple.....the license allows you to sell or serve alcohol for consumption on premise within the specific city codes. Any service or consumption after those designated hours is "technically" illegal. Quote: "If the wrong cop walks in at 5:15 and sees people drinking...someone's going to jail and the place will probably have their license suspended or revoked." He says that you can't give the booze away and you can't allow alcohol to be consumed on premise, even by the DJ, after 5 am....end of story.

this should be/get very interesting.. i know a few of us wanted to do an afterhours at KARU & Y and they werent able to either pull a special permit and they werent licensed to operate as a afterhours establishment after 5am...we had flyers and everything printed ready to go and couldnt do it due to these legalities..i dont know if they have got a special permit now or something..but it should be interesting..

Guest JustDade
this should be/get very interesting.. i know a few of us wanted to do an afterhours at KARU & Y and they werent able to either pull a special permit and they werent licensed to operate as a afterhours establishment after 5am...we had flyers and everything printed ready to go and couldnt do it due to these legalities..i dont know if they have got a special permit now or something..but it should be interesting..

I remember when you were going to do that. At the end of the day, it is what it is. I just don't know why everyone thinks afterhours is so important. Morillo does just fine with the 5 am closing on the Beach.

Guest hiram

i took my Beverage Management Law class already and we just dabbled into the world it really is. liquor laws are black and white. but its also a very corrupt city. money talks and you can practically buy your permit to do anything.

Well the white party event is being held the night before The Morillo event and will be on from 10pm-10am... The event headlines that all alcohol sales end @ 5am... So there is no false or misleading adverts going on there. And from being in the scene for the last couple of years the white party always has thrown there party @ Space on Friday... This year is the 1st year its not... And space makes a killing when us gays come for a party...

And next door to Space this club what used to be called TwILo will be opening its doors the end of November as Stereo.. http://www.stereomiami.com/ If anyone has been there while Twilo was open, the space, sound system, and lights are just out of hand!!! I wonder if Space has a problem with them also??

Guest mr.miami

Awesome!! You have any idea what they will be doing with the place? Why hasn't LP mentioned this at all? Why haven't we gotten any inside info on this place?

Guest rollyp66
Awesome!! You have any idea what they will be doing with the place? Why hasn't LP mentioned this at all? Why haven't we gotten any inside info on this place?

Because he kind of owns it...