Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Battles....

Guest djway830

Should CJ bring back tha DJ Battle Competion?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should CJ bring back tha DJ Battle Competion?

• yes
    • no

Guest kmix
I began deejaying in 2000 and there were no CDJ's that I knew of.......I "spun" my first CD out @ Laundry Bar Sept. 07'. WTF was I thinking!??? Vinyl sounds better, looks more interesting, and feels like you're actually doing something! The only real reason to move to CDJ format is laziness, right??? Nobody wants to drag around 60 LBS in vinyl. I sure as hell don't.

ok matt you know who i am so dont take this the wrong way(no pun intended).cdjs have been around almost 15 years now...i bought my first one in1998 .i have djed now for a very long time.so i can tell you that the real reason for the switch is primarily that of portability..and ` it wasnt 60lbs of vinyl guys were lugging, it was sometimes as much as 200lbs depending on the lenght of time of your set...if you really like the feel of vinyl that much i would definately reccommend serato or traktor as the best way forward..It is interesting that people are arguing cds vs vinyl at this late stage of the game when it is very apparent that the next steps are already here

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Seb
ok matt you know who i am so dont take this the wrong way(no pun intended).cdjs have been around almost 15 years now...i bought my first one in1998 .i have djed now for a very long time.so i can tell you that the real reason for the switch is primarily that of portability..and ` it wasnt 60lbs of vinyl guys were lugging, it was sometimes as much as 200lbs depending on the lenght of time of your set...if you really like the feel of vinyl that much i would definately reccommend serato or traktor as the best way forward..It is interesting that people are arguing cds vs vinyl at this late stage of the game when it is very apparent that the next steps are already here

yes please! let's not reiterate points that have been made 1000000000 times before. We all know the benefits of MP3s, laptops, serrato etc and we all know that vinyl sounds and looks better. next topic please

Guest nightrain music

I'd like to "battle" , though my ammunition is 12" piece of black vinyl and my trigger is the crossfader and my arsenal is unlimited.

It may seem apparent but more and more people are seeing the breakdown in the quality of the music that is in MP3 format over analog. Too many lazy ass bedroom djs downloading at 192 or less trying to play in a club and wondering why they aren't getting the reactions they expect or why the song pops or has maxed out levels. Serrato or Traktor is the best way forward? Try listening to someone playing Serrato on an all analog system and its not that much better than someone playing MP3s. Depends on what your definition of "better" is. Its also a bitch to hook up every time you play somewhere and a pain in the ass to anyone else that is playing before or after you.

I see the distributors closing their doors (a lot has to do with the weak dollar) but i also see a few people going back to vinyl. It may be a while but in the end when this shitty part of the cycle comes to a close the warmth of vinyl will be back. At least that's my hope, even if its just a "niche".

Guest rhythmburn
It may seem apparent but more and more people are seeing the breakdown in the quality of the music that is in MP3 format over analog. Too many lazy ass bedroom djs downloading at 192 or less trying to play in a club and wondering why they aren't getting the reactions they expect or why the song pops or has maxed out levels. Serrato or Traktor is the best way forward? Try listening to someone playing Serrato on an all analog system and its not that much better than someone playing MP3s. Depends on what your definition of "better" is. Its also a bitch to hook up every time you play somewhere and a pain in the ass to anyone else that is playing before or after you.

I see the distributors closing their doors (a lot has to do with the weak dollar) but i also see a few people going back to vinyl. It may be a while but in the end when this shitty part of the cycle comes to a close the warmth of vinyl will be back. At least that's my hope, even if its just a "niche".

i wish you were right about the warmth of vinyl coming back -- but i don't think the industry is going to ever look back. the 'niche' will always be there as long as there are people who are willing to put up the money to produce the stuff, and as long as people are willing to pay for the stuff

i wish you were right about the warmth of vinyl coming back -- but i don't think the industry is going to ever look back. the 'niche' will always be there as long as there are people who are willing to put up the money to produce the stuff, and as long as people are willing to pay for the stuff

If that indeed ends up being the case, then i really hope that something better comes along with respect to sound quality. Lets face it, MP3s sound like shit compared to vinyl. There has to be something done to improve the quality.

Guest coach

ZOMG! Are you guys really arguing over what format the music comes in? Get a fucking clue! Not one person on that dance floor gives a flying fuck if you are playing on holographic dilithium crystals or wax cylinders. If you move their asses in ways they like, that is ALL that matters. The DJ competition should *definitely* be judged by the fans.

Guest djway830

Kevin, no worries bro.... (I revoke my statement, slightly) I was thinking in terms of a "modern" version adjustable pitch CD player. Pioneer released the CDJ 1000 in 2001, it is generally accepted as the first CD player that can accurately emulate a vinyl turntable. I'm curious if many dj's bothered with the dual deck style before then. My guess isn't many---especially in a club setting. Anyone care to add????

Guest Seb
Kevin, no worries bro.... (I revoke my statement, slightly) I was thinking in terms of a "modern" version adjustable pitch CD player. Pioneer released the CDJ 1000 in 2001, it is generally accepted as the first CD player that can accurately emulate a vinyl turntable. I'm curious if many dj's bothered with the dual deck style before then. My guess isn't many---especially in a club setting. Anyone care to add????

was probably more of a mobile dj thing

Guest rhythmburn
If that indeed ends up being the case, then i really hope that something better comes along with respect to sound quality. Lets face it, MP3s sound like shit compared to vinyl. There has to be something done to improve the quality.

wav files are the way to go

Guest Philip

most of you guys (and gal) need a good bop in the head :)

i doubt you could tell the difference between vinyl and a CD if it came out and bit you on the nose. nothing against you but most people involved in the audio engineering field would not be able to consistently identify either/or in a double blind listening test or self-conducted ABX or ABC/HR tests. sure, you can reproduce some frequencies using vinyl that you may not be able to using a CD. fact is that the whole range of frequencies we speak of is outside of the human hearing range. the author of this article tries hard to be convincing but does little to back up the claim that "vinyl sounds better". venture this question to the professionals and you will find the answers to be quite a bit more subjective.
cartridges, needles, quartz turntables, and tone arm adjustments alone are highly subjective. there are huge differences in the way even very expensive needles attempt to recreate the sound impressed into vinyl. im not gonna attempt to join the fray in saying whether vinyl or CD sounds or is better, but any vinyl monkey should know that that the consistency of digitally reproduced sound far exceeds that of vinyl.

Richie Hawtin November '07 Mixmag - "The quality of digital is as good if not better than vinyl."

Does it scare you that a whole generation of kids are growing up not knowing what vinyl is?

For me I’ll always have a fascination with records because I grew up with them, but do I need them? Not really. Not only do they take up way too much space, they’re technically limiting and environmentally unfriendly. We’re moving to a point where vinyl will be a limited specialized market for people who choose to collect records as pieces of art.

Many DJs like your close friends Zip and Ricardo Villalobos argue that vinyl is far superior...

You could choose to sell vinyl to that small, non-expanding market, close your eyes to what’s happening, let everyone copy your music and just be cynical about it. Or you can choose to find a way to appease both of those things. The quality of digital is as good if not better than vinyl. Music begins life as a digital WAV file before it is mastered and turned into vinyl. But as a performer I have to learn new tools and ways of thinking in order to move forward in my art, so these arguments are irrelevant for me. So is digital technology making music better? Technology is democratising music and allowing more people than ever to enjoy what we do. I don’t want to explain to a kid in Ecuador why my song isn’t available on the internet if it’s only available on vinyl. I want him to hear my song, get into what we’re doing and maybe that might send him on a new direction in his life.

ZOMG! Are you guys really arguing over what format the music comes in? Get a fucking clue! Not one person on that dance floor gives a flying fuck if you are playing on holographic dilithium crystals or wax cylinders. If you move their asses in ways they like, that is ALL that matters. The DJ competition should *definitely* be judged by the fans.

Well in a sense you're right. BUT there is something to be said for the unconscious feel that comes from vinyl, even to people that have no idea whats going on or even care. I had an interesting conversation with a friend that is an audio engineer and another that is a mechanical engineer about whether or not the alpha and beta waves are being transmitted through MP3 (we think not) and how that might affect the crowd itself as well as the missing ultra low end (20hz).

Guest rhythmburn

if you are pressing vinyl based on digital recordings (which is what many people do) then there is no advantage to pressing vinyl. the only time the quality of vinyl is better is when the original recording of the track is recorded to tape and this recording used to create the molds. the process needs to be PURELY analog, or it doesn't matter one bit

Guest coach
Well in a sense you're right. BUT there is something to be said for the unconscious feel that comes from vinyl, even to people that have no idea whats going on or even care. I had an interesting conversation with a friend that is an audio engineer and another that is a mechanical engineer about whether or not the alpha and beta waves are being transmitted through MP3 (we think not) and how that might affect the crowd itself as well as the missing ultra low end (20hz).

Your statement in no way contradicts mine. It only supports it.

My point still stands. Let the DJs play whatever they want to play. Play a fucking ukalele, if you want. Then let the people decide.

Guest missgroovethang
its on like donkey kong...shine is the shit...

now all we need is confirmation from both djs

we got a venue

Its been a few days and no response from the Dirty...

Could it be he finally decided to throw in the baggie???

Guest MichaelMnML

nah, you just sound like a dumbass...i cant expect everyone, even you MICKEY, to understand it...i dont want you to either...you would probably ruin what i like about it right now, then i would have to start spinning hip hop, dont make me do that bro, i hate hip hop

and that comment tells me you have not left fort myers for about four years...guys like crosson or ambivalent dont play in a library...maybe they should so you could learn something...

Guest MichaelMnML

additionally i only know one dj that plays stripped down shit well and often and thats rhythmburn...everyone else either is house or more on the multi genre tip, like you.

Guest nightrain music

Ha ha ha! See I told you...hate mail.

I haven't left Ft. Myers? ha ha

You may want to check where I've been in the last 12 years and where I'm going this year :)

Dude, can you not take a joke? I mean, you're the type that gives minimal a reputation as people who think they are god's gift to music and that there is only one type of music worthy of listening.

Have a drink and a smoke and lay down the speed for just a moment.

Guest nightrain music

And what's wrong with multi-genre? I love ALL types of music, have played all types of music and will continue to play all types of music. What are you going to do when minimal dies? Not play music?

True music lovers listen to everything. A good track is a good track even if it's d&b, minimal, house, techno, etc.