Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Helpful Tips and Techniques for Obtaining a Residency

Guest Amado

I believe if you are truly passionate about something and have a goal to achieve you will work hard and spend every minute of your life to obtain that goal. You can apply that to anything in life, give it your best, you only have one chance in life, but be honest, that's the key. And you will surely be surprised at the reward.

don't listen to this redcoat. he'd shoot a welshman if he had the chance.

Guest AlanS

Amado, you seem like a nice guy, so I'll throw in my thoughts.

First, establish your goals and understand why you desire a residency. Examples: to get paid, build your name, gain experience, etc., perhaps a combination of these.

Be realistic, it is very likely you won't be spinning Space or Cameo anytime soon. There are TONS of lounges, bars and restaurants, all over the beach, miami, fort lauderdale, and beyond equipped to handle DJs.

Find a place you like, with a good vibe, a manageable size that you might be able to fill up if enough friends show up and go to the source, management. Bring some business sense to the table, everyone is in business for a reason, to make money. Ask yourself what do you bring to the table that is going to help the bottom line. (Usually its getting people to the venue to buy drinks.. so guess what, you are a promoter now too). A lot of DJs can just show up and rock the room or entertain the crowd, but I believe going the extra step is really what it takes to be successful in a market like we have down here.

If you are successful, the larger venues may start to notice, or maybe not, but you'll have the leverage of a successful party under your belt if and when you approach them.

And my last piece of advice, as much as I am a music guy, I understand that everyone has different tastes and enjoy different music, be flexible and incorporate a variety of sounds into your style and work with the crowd in front of you. Give them something new.. and something familiar. Versatility is a key virtue of a true DJ.

Guest trauma

Wow, I haven't been on here in a while, but I definitely would like to say a few things on this topic.

1. Know the right people. If you don't know them right now, find out who "they" are and spend time with them.

2. Make sure you bring something to the table that others don't. Whether it be better mixing, better music selection, more people in to the club, a "gimmick", or something else.

3. Be patient! It will not happen over night and you will get screwed here and there and you will want to quit and you will want to hit somebody, but just understand that it IS a business and there are good and bad people out there. You just have to try and find as many good people out there as you can. But don't just find them to leech off of them, you actually have to be a good person as well. hehe.

4. Like a few other people have said on here already, start out somewhere small and work your way up. Look at Parantula, I remember playing with them at Ivy in Aventura and they quickly made a name for themselves and they play great events at great venues.

5. Socialize!!! You need to be in the scene that you're trying to break in to. That has been one downfall for me, I don't go out as much as I should. But, I also hold down a Thursday & Friday residency in Lauderdale and I have a day job and a 2 1/2 year old boy that I spend as much time as I possibly can with. Soooo, if you have the time, ANY spare time, GO OUT! Talk to anybody and everybody and carry cards, CDs or any type of marketing material with you. There are too many times that I have been out and been asked for a CD or card and I didn't have one and that's the last time that I heard from that person. Who knows who I could have gotten a CD to.

Just to let you know, I no longer go by Trauma, I go by Mister Gray and I'm actually playing at The Fifth in Miami a couple of times in February. I got that gig because of a long time friend that is promoting the party and a lot of my gigs I have gotten because of who I know and how wide of a music selection I have. Plus, I can mix, scratch and carry a crowd very well. I have been DJing for about 10 years and have played at some great clubs and only recently have I actually wanted to pursue REAL residencies. I currently play an open format, but my love is for house music. It has taken a back seat for now, but I will soon be able to do what I love. That's where the patience comes in to play.

All in all, good luck and I will be checking out your mixes over the next couple of days and will give you some feedback.

Guest SoulSimple
the only way you are gonna get a QUALITY residency is if you buy a venue and spin at it...:comfort:

or if you have a solid following of at least 150 people that come out for you....the key to a good residency is the people you bring in the door...

unless you have done a few Global Underground Compilations or about 4 or 5 for MOS...residencies are not going to happen at any respectable venue...

Oscar is the only Pimp in Town who enjoys a true residency

you might choose to go out and meet with owners as both a DJ service and promotion team who brings revenue to the club....like others are doing...but as soon as the peeps dont show, your ass is out the Door!

otherwise it would just end up being at a little whole in the wall or lounge/bar with a few of your friends for a limited amount of time before the owners find some other dude who brings more heads...and he might play hip hop so be prepared to lose your night to DJ Hoodlum...

Ask guys like Major who have held a successful smaller night for a while to figure out his secrets....it doesnt hurt to be british as well

get in the venues...make a ton more friends than you do enemies and piggy back off some wanker who will let you play and hope you do better than him all the while brining in more people :lickit: at least thats what I was told when i asked the same question to a select few people on here....

depends what kind of residency you are looking for though...

and lastly....it doesnt matter what you play as long as people show up...thats why some artists could care less about residencies, because they cant play what they want...

This is very well put..!!:werd: