Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is Ibiza changing??

bmitch1114

You might have allready read this but I'm curious what your opinion on it might be, especially you B2B, since you've been there so many times.

The sun is setting on the British clubbing experience in IBIZA, with the Spanish authorities fed up with the island's image as a playground for rowdy Brits.

Spain's tourist board has decided that, after a decade of the debauched UK clubbing featured in TV documentaries like 'Ibiza Uncovered', the island must clean up its image. They want the island to appeal to families and a smarter, international clubbing set.

Ibiza's clubbing season is due to start this weekend. But NME.COM can reveal that the British clubber may soon be forced to holiday at other dance music resorts, such as Ayia Nappa, if they want to continue clubbing in the rowdy way which they are famous for.

Juan Medrano, manager at Ibiza's Privilege club, told NME.COM: "It's going to be a good year but there will be maybe 20 per cent less people. We are hoping to attract quite an international crowd, more Germans and Italians. British clubbers do still behave like hooligans."

Three years ago, British clubbers were described as "out-of-control degenerates" by the British Vice Consul on Ibiza, 51-year-old Michael Birkett, who resigned in disgust at their behaviour.

A new eco tax has been introduced, forcing local businesses to push prices up which will hit British clubbers who are on a budget, while police are clamping down on drugs. Latest figures showed a 689 per cent increase in arrests for Ecstasy.

A spokesperson at the tourist office on Ibiza told NME.COM: "We are working with the Spanish Tourist Office in London. We will try to change things, but the British tourists must change too. They have to behave if they want to stay here."

A spokeswoman at the tourist department of the Spanish Embassy in London confirmed: "There is a new promotion to say Ibiza is not just for clubbers but is about traditions and culture."

For the full story, see this week's NME, out now in London, and tomorrow nationwide (May 30).

------------------

"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Yeh Ibiza has changed massivley over the years. There has always been two Ibiza's the tacky pissed up Brits side and the cooler clubbing side.

Some of Ibiza is just horrible, San Antonio on a night can be full of drunken kids. Places like Es Paradise one night can be horrible the next night be fantastic.

As soon as the Hard House thing hit Ibiza it changed massivly. When Dave Pearce and Judge Jules went out there the kids followed.

But you have to remember it's very cheap from the UK about $300 get's you flights and a week at a hotel. So when the kids hit 16 they are out there, pukeing and singing. Alchohol is SO cheap in Spain you can get really really pissed on very little money. The cooler places Mambo, Savanna and the clubs keep beer prices higher to keep the undesirable element away.

Luckily you can avoid them, and the good clubs are quiet expensive to get in (and some have good door policies) to keep them away and out. I think it's the kids they are trying to get rid of, not the real clubbers. Most of the real clubbers respect the island and bring in lot's of money.

Places like Space, Pacha and El Divino are free of all that, you get a great crowed from all over the globe and the more deserning UK clubbers.

But i think most of the more serious clubbers are moving on to other places. Porta Del Este and places like that are becomeing more popular.

But Ibiza is still party central at the moment, there is more choice there this year than i have ever known. And so long as you choose your nights well you will come away feeling nothing but love for the place. But going back 5 or 6 years Ibiza was great, don't want to come across all 'things arn't the same' (they arn't but it's still good), but when they could get away with outdoor clubbing. When Oakenfold used to run free parties in the hills, back then it used to be fantastic.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Originally posted by back2basics-:

But you have to remember it's very cheap from the UK about $300 get's you flights and a week at a hotel. So when the kids hit 16 they are out there, pukeing and singing. Alchohol is SO cheap in Spain you can get really really pissed on very little money.

Hasn't spain (in general) had that problem for years? I mean, the Sex Pistols song "Holiday in the Sun" from the late 70's is about the yobs going to the beach in spain, getting drunk and raising hell.

------------------

"So heed my words and live; wait not til tomorrow's dawn!

But pick life's roses now--today--before they're gone".-Pierre de Ronsard

Disco-02.gif

Originally posted by fiatmusica:

Hasn't spain (in general) had that problem for years? I mean, the Sex Pistols song "Holiday in the Sun" from the late 70's is about the yobs going to the beach in spain, getting drunk and raising hell.

Yeh in the 80's there was a problem with 'larger louts' but it's hasn't been all that bad recently. There are places in Majourca and Benedorm that are havens for the kiddies on the piss, but most of Spain is fantastic.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF