Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Considering Moving from NY to Maryland

rachel1997

dam rachel why you moving all day over here...for real nyc is the shit...it would probably be too quiet in maryland, you gotta move to dc, more exciting shit going on here.

anyway clubs usually close around 5 or 6 and bars i think 4

yep yep lets all go on a killing spree...KILL KILL KILL cwm23.gif

Originally posted by rachel1997:

Should I do it?

I love going to clubs such as Sound Factory here. What time do clubs close in DC? Any afterhours or nightlife like in NYC?

Dont do it!!!! I went to school in Maryland and granted, DC is a good time, but it does not even come close to NYC. You would probably find yourself driving 4 hours each weekend to go back to NYC.

unless it's a really stellar job opportunity or something like that, i'd say stay in ny. the nightlife here is alright, but seriously pales in comparison to ny, esp compared to places like twilo, sf, centro, etc. maybe you should try a trial weekend down here before making any decisions? some places you should try out here:

clubs:

5 (dupont circle)

nation/buzz (southeast dc, very sketchy)

edge (southeast)

lounges:

18th st lounge (dupont)

chi cha (lounge)

andalu (dupont)

blue room (adams morgan)

bars:

politiki (capitol hill)

front page (dupont)

buffalo billiards (dupont)

madam's organ (adams morgan)

4 provinces (cleveland park)

or just go to dupont cirlce or adams morgan anytime.

I'd stay in new york if I were you, but if you do decide to move, then have a look at Millele's list of places to go.

a few places that weren't mentioned, but it sounds like would probably be more your scene, are:

ozio

18th St Lounge

Dragonfly

(all in Dupont Circle)

and clubs such as Platinum, Insomnia etc. Buzz and the Edge are both big warehouse clubs in a not-so-nice part of town, full of raverkids mostly. I'm guessing that's not really your scene if you're a sound factory fan?

Of course NYC nightlife is better. Where in MD are you planning to move?

Everyone here has pretty much summed up everything. Buzz has a lot of raver-kids/young crowd, BUT they do pull in some of the best talent in the world. Similar to Twilo FRidays.

5 on Sat is a nice place to go...dressier, but good music.

One advantage in DC over NYC..you don't have nearly as many juice-heads running around with fucked up attitudes. Attitude in DC is pretty laid back and friendly.

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

Nietzche

U gotta be crazy to even consider it. Nightlife here is ridicilously weak, music is shit, unless you're into tunes like "who let the dogs out". Maryland's pubs & clubs all (with an exception of a few) cator to rednecks. Stay in NY, don't set yourself up.

Originally posted by sosultan:

U gotta be crazy to even consider it. Nightlife here is ridicilously weak, music is shit, unless you're into tunes like "who let the dogs out". Maryland's pubs & clubs all (with an exception of a few) cator to rednecks. Stay in NY, don't set yourself up.

I'd like to hear them play "who let the dogs out" at Buzz, 5, Space or Zei. Shawn Ink (from NYC) has a monthly residency at 5 and Space. 5 Sat nights rocks...music is top-notch (and this is coming from one who compares everything to Twilo fridays). Nightlife might be weak, but music is def. not shit. Definitely not KTU stuff.

------------------

Nietzche

[This message has been edited by raver_mania (edited 01-14-2001).]

Originally posted by raver_mania:

I'd like to hear them play "who let the dogs out" at Buzz, 5, Space or Zei. Shawn Ink (from NYC) has a monthly residency at 5 and Space. 5 Sat nights rocks...music is top-notch (and this is coming from one who compares everything to Twilo fridays). Nightlife might be weak, but music is def. not shit. Definitely not KTU stuff.

There's a reason why i said "Maryland's pubs & clubs all (with an exception of a few) cator to rednecks." Nation and 5 are DC spots, not Maryland's. If she would have said i'm considering moving to DC, which still does not compare to NYC nightlife, I would have responded differently.

Twilo? Good club, but def not my favorite. You keep referring to it as the best club in the world. Now if MD's & DC's clubs would measure up to clubs that play hard house, Sound Factory for one, then i'd be a regular there...

Originally posted by sosultan:

Sosultan,

Actually, if you read her post carefully, she did mention DC clubs. Thats why I talked about 5, Nation, Space, Zei, etc.

BTW, I never outright, in any of these posts, said Twilo was the best club in the world. IMO, its def. the best in NYC for the talent it brings and the energy of the crowd...maybe even the best on the east coast. Again IMO, JP is good, but def. not "top of the list" - he has too many off days to be considered "top class". Even when he played at Nation, there were a few times when his mixing was off...and this is not only my opinion, this is also the opinion of other people who have been dj'ing for over 6 years. SOme of the stuff he played was spun at raves over 5 years ago.

What I consider good music is new sound, stuff that pushes the boundaries of the musical norms - at the same time getting the dancefloor bouncing...for me hard house is tried and tested, and whilst its good, can get boring really quickly. However, to each their own.

Trance is the sound of DC, and hard house is the sound of NYC. So, of course, if you're a hard house head, you're going to think the scene here is weak. I prefer variety, and yes, even I like to listen to hard house every so often (5 on Thursdays plays some hard house).

BUT, in the end, its to each their own. Everyone has an opinion about everything.

------------------

Nietzche

hey, i used to live in d.c. and what no one here has mentioned is that there are many reasons to live in d.c. that have nothing to do with the club scene.

d.c. is a very culturally rich area, has tons to offer for a city of this size. live jazz, rock, world music; so many museums and art exhibits; live theatre; musicals; orchestral music; opera; art; a very active, young and international population; very aware, very smart. good restaurants (not nearly as good as new york, but good nonetheless). many interesting neighborhoods. the cost of living is substantially lower than new york. it has great access to the major cities on the east coast with fairly inexpensive airfare and direct flights overseas. the fact is that the club scene is not as vibrant as nyc, but there is a club scene that can keep you occupied and when you are really in need of a good fix, twilo et al are a short trip away.

if you make your decision to move based just on clubs, that could be one of the worst decisions you ever made in your life. d.c. is a great city.

------------------

kid_wearingdadsclothes_md_clr.gif

PLUS DC's crowd is very cool and laid back. They don't judge you on how much you make, or what clothes you wear or what modelling agency you're part of...

Thats one of my biggest beefs with NYC - its extremely materialistic nature.

------------------

Nietzche

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I have an awesome time every time I go upto NYC, but I also have tons of fun in DC. I have a really kewl crew in both places...

Now, if you want a city that really SUCKS...its Baltimore (where I'm living)!!

------------------

Nietzche

Baltimore really is a shithole...

the one place I like here is China Room on Saturdays. Got there at 1:40 last sat, music was pumping. DJ (whoever is the resident there) was spinning progressive house from 1:30 till 3:00. People were well-dressed, however most girls gave everyone attitude. That's the only place in Baltimore where i advise guys to come in with their girlfriends.

• 3 weeks later...