Clubplanet Nightlife Community

anyone who has turntables...help?

hey peoples....

i was thinking about buying some used turntables and a mixer just to fool around with at home...does anyone have any ideas on dependable brands? how much money they'll cost? any additional info that i might need? thanks y'all..peace...

If your buying second hand it has to be Technics, they have been proved to last forever and the spares are cheep.

Mixer last for ever anyway so you should be ok, vestax are good and have a good sound level on the headphones. Try to get something with kill switches because they are good fun.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

top.gif

Well, it depends on how much loot you're willing to cough up. If you want top-of-the-line, then Technics 1200s or 1210s are the only turntable to consider, mixerwise, I'd recommend Vestax, they've got a really nice selection. Honestly, I wouldn't really consider any other kind of turntable. Technics ought to be quality even if they're used. Those buggers are tough. Just make sure you test the equipment before you pay up. For mixers, there's a wide range of quality and it all depends on what kinds of functions you want as well (how many channels, how many knobs -- highs, mids, lows, etc., how buttery of a crossfader if you're planning on scratching, if you want a sampler or effects processor... the list goes on). Also, the cartridge and needles come in a wide price and quality range as well. Consult your friendly local record store or electronics store, the people there should be able to give you some advice once they know exactly what kinds of stuff you're looking for.

-- Cara

cara@clubplanet.com

I wouldnt buy Technics if your starting out. You will not only have to get used to beat mixing, but also get used to handling the pitch control on a direct drive. Get a pair of gemini belt drives (will cost you about 180 for a pair), and a cheap gemini 2 channel mixer. (about 80 bucks). FUck with that for a year or so, you should beat-mixing down by then, then buy technics so you can apply what you have learned to a direct-drive environment. Trust me, you will be happier in the end. It is much harder to learn beat mixing when you have to learn about the mechanics of a turntable at the same time. With belt-drives, you can use your hand. On direct-drives really can't, or really shouldn't. Hope that helps.

Sorry just go to add to that. don't even try to mix with belt drives you will waste your money. They don't pick up fast enough, if you want to learn to beat mix get direct drive. If you get belts and go to direct you will have to learn how to mix again because you timing will have to be adjusted, and when you are adjusting it's almost impossible on belts. I know quiet a few people who have bought belts, thought they couldn't mix and gave it up... then tryed on direct and had no problems.

Try EBay they usually have some on auction, you should be able to pick up two 1200 and a mixer for about $800-900 @ an auction (they probably wont have covers though).

no way, you got to get Technics. I've used other peoples' Geminis before and they suck. The response-time is so slow, they just don't work like they're supposed to. Plus, once you're ready for an upgrade, who's gonna buy those crappy Geminis from you? Technics, on the other hand, are a sound investment and you can always sell them if you're in need of cash or you're through with DJing. And yeah, all the best DJs are supposed to be able to match beats using the pitch controls. Basically, if you're going to learn to play an instrument, you've got to learn on the proper equpiment. If you buy Gemini and (if you're lucky) figure out how to beatmatch on them, once you start playing out and the venues all have Technics you're going to need to re-learn everything. If you're worried that it'll be too expensive, get a cheap mixer, you can upgrade easier from that. Or buy your turntables used.

-- Cara

cara@clubplanet.com

alright peoples...bear with me...keep in mind i'm a newbie so someone's going to have to explain the differene between belt and direct drives...i have a musical background with singing and some instruments so those are all ok..i know what you're talking about when you say pitch control and beat-matching..but otherwise, a little more explanation is needed...with the mixer as well...what effects should i be looking for? i mean havin g a lot of options is cool and all..but if i really don't need all the extras..then what do i need? so...we looking at 800-900 for used turntables and mixer? thanks a bunch peoples!

On the mixer situation:

Look for something that has a good volume level on the headphone, some don't and you can hardly hear the beats even when it's on full.

Also for a beginner beat lights at the side of the cross fader are useful although sometimes not accurate for some styles of music (good for house,techno not for D&B and breaks because they are basically peak meters).

one of the main things for me (and especially when you playing a club) is vertical channel volume meters they help you get the volume right on the destination record.

Things like a good quality EQ are useful but not necessary when your learning. Also the kill switches (which kill the mid,bass etc) give you more scope when mixing but aren't necessary.

I agree about the technics though if you get cheep deck you wont be able to get rid. Get technics and you wont loose much money on what you bought them for.

------------------

top.gif

Thats wierd. Mixing is always easier when you use your hands, as oppose to STRICTLY using the pitch control for driving. Oh well, you can do what you want, but I know people who have started with techs, and it took them a waaaay much longer time to get a hold of things then it did with me, and other people who started out with belt-drives and then moved on to direct. Maybe I've been DJ'n for too long. But, then again, all DJ's are gonna give you a different perspective on things. My perspective is from 10 years of playing. Others might disagree, and have a different way, like back to basics. Just our opinions. To each their own. Whatever works for the person. Anyways, good luck with your decision smile.gif

but you have to use your hands & the pich all the time anyway!?

No my point is when you getting the beats right & your using your fingers to slow or speed up you destination track, on a belt the deck will often stop spinning or it wont speed up fast enough.. you dont have this problem with belts.

It could well be a case of each to there own, but if your using the pitch control to get the beats on it will take ages.

------------------

top.gif

I play around with my Gemini belt drives and I have to say it's really a pain to beatmix with them. I still can't get it right. I guess they're only good for praticing at its worst. So definitely, go for direct drives. If you can't afford Technics and can't find them used, at least get Gemini XL-500s. They're the lowest priced direct drives, they look like Technics and for a newbie they're perfect.

Also, that way you don't end up dumping a lot of money in case u decide to give it up.

But you won't. smile.gif. I rock my bedroom all the time.

if you can mix well on belts you can mix well on anything, belts are hard to learn on but if you learn with them your ear will be trained so well, all it will take is getting accustomed to using direct drive and more pitch control than hand control...but your ears will be nicely tuned smile.gif

its all about the pitch control smile.gif

Mac

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

the only purpose is to train your ear...you shouldn't have to worry about mechanics when learning to mix...it is hard to have your hand perched on top of the record at all times..very lightly grazing it to slow it down or speed up the record...but, if you wanna get good fast..and stay that way..i think that is the route to take...youll get good on techs, but it will take you longer, if that's your initial piece of equipment. Just my .04 cents smile.gif

first, no beat-matching lights. those things are annoying as hell and if you really do use those to learn, you'll end up becoming reliant on them. if you're going to learn, do it without those flashy red bulbs.

second, you beatmatch by cueing up the record to the first beat with your hands, then letting go when the "one" count of a measure(1-2-3-4) hits and fucking with the pitch adjusts from there. repeat until the records can play together with beats hitting at the same rate indefinitely. if they do happen to slip in the middle of your set, use the pitch adjusts to make little corrections. it's smoother and more controlled than touching the vinyl with your hands.

-- Cara

cara@clubplanet.com

Let go of the record on the first beat, then push the pitch back and forth until the beats are aligned (usually only takes 1 set of beats(1 set = 16 beats). Then cue the record up, and wait for the 1st set of 3 sets of beats to come, let go, keep my hand on the pitch, and rock back and forth slightly, after i get through the first set, i start my fade. All the while keeping my hand on the pitch, and slightly rocking back and forth. I rely on self-taught music theory to mix, so I don't know if you guys, or girls understand what I mean when I mix via sets of beats. Here is the lo - down -> for mostly all electronic music, with the exceptions, of course, there are three sets of beats. I measure my sets: 16 beats in a set. The first two sets of 16 are rhtyhm sections, the next set is interval. So, on, and so-forth. You all probly have a diff way of doing things. I do it this way, because it sounds the best when both records are going through their rhythm sections and intervals at the same time. Try it--you'll see smile.gif