Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Vestax vs Technics

yeah, I heard that Vestax are supposedly better than Technics, but when you're already so up-there in the echelons of DJ equipment, how much difference can there be? Besides, Technics are the industry standard, so why stray from that?

-- Cara

cara@clubplanet.com

I wouldn't trade my 1210s for anything. Anyways I heard vestax is mainly for turntablist (Q-bert) I think vestax is just paying these people to use their turntables like they did w/ invisible skratch piklz they all used to use technics now they all have vestax.

Well, vestax have an add running @ the moment they claim coxy, Mixmaster Mike, Coldcut, Alex Paterson, MAW & phats & small have all traded in there Technics so there must be a good reason.

Vestax claim

They have more torque,better pitch control,near zero feedback and reverse play.

Nobody knows how long they will last but they do sound very tempting.

I cannot see some of the names selling out to vestax Coxy & MAW would't sell out they have enough money and i really think they care too much.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

top.gif

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 06-27-2000).]

Guest clubkid77

it is true the tables are more for the turntablist than the mixer, this is because they have some dampening goin on in them, that makes them extremley resistant to skipping. Its kinda like they have built in floaters ot something. However on the flip side to this, unless your a top turntablist.... It might be good to stay away from them, because if they are "better" ten the industry standard 1200's the ones your gona be using at 99% of all your gigs "hint hint" what is gona happen when your used to goin harder on the decks at home, and then get on a set playin live that you gota be a little lighter on? Imagin practicing all the time on 1200's and then goin out and performin on a set op belt drives.... (well thats kinda exagerating it, but you get the point).

Well....I love my 1210's, but I heard Vestax made a lot of improvements on their turntable. You can also control one turntable with the other (coooooooooool). But in the midst of all this technology, lets not forget one thing..they are turntables. Whether it be belt-drives to direct, they all still serve one purpose --mixing. In my opinion, if it aint broke dont fix it. But, I would prefer Vestax's over Technics, if I was scratching my face off. But for the pleasure of mixing with quality equipment, without getting to digital (coz nobody wants that smile.gif ), I will always prefer Techs over Vestax. Vestax are here now, but I think Techs will be here for longer smile.gif Just my 2 cents.

yeah, I agree, Technics are the industry **standard** it's not really going to do you much good working with something that might be a few shades better or even significantly better at home if when you go out you have to use Technics 1200s and you have to change your style. I cast my vote for Technics even if the Vestax might be better in some respects. Not that I want to reason by, "Well, everyone else is doing it.." But that kind of is the reason.

Cox and MAW are paid to say they like vestax. maybe they like them better, but keep that in mind.

Also, Home in london had the vestax and they broke so they replaced them w/ 1210s again.

Vestax had some good ideas but the design wasn't ready yet. Why do you think technics hasn't come out with anything terribly new in years?

maybe not paid to switch, but who models in magazines for free? I bet the scrathc piklz all use vetax mixers regardless of the endorsements, but there is no way they all held up mixers and decks for the hell of it.

Ive used the vestax tables, they are nice, teh reverse play ya ya ya, all gimmicks as far as im concerned if i wanted to play a record backwards i could do it on my 1210's with little effort, just like people have been doing it for years...ive been using technics for almost 10 years and ive never had problems since all the way back then, they are reliable and tough, i've had the 1210's since they first made it to the US and they've never let me down, nor has any set of technics in any club...And like randy pointed out, i doubt they are posing for free, maybe they are a little better as far as pickup and accuracy in pitch, but when its so close it doesn't really matter to me, technics are battlefield tested, the vestax are not, i trust what i know will not let me down...

Keep It Real

-Mac

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

Technics are actually most DJs' favorite becuase that is what most people use. Vestax are a lot better quality turntable. The big difference is the cross fade is a more loose on the Vestaxand give you more ability to work. Some people don't like that.

MY god what a mixture of responses!!

Sorry this belt drive thing is crap.

The thing about the reverse on the vestax is that you either have to spin the 1200 back or make the internal modification that voids your warranty.

I have herd that some clubs are now moving to the vestax decks.

It's a shame nobody has some so we could get some proper opinions rather than speculation. It seems that most of the people who have responded haven't actually used the decks, but still have an opinion based on the fact that there has been no competition to Technics for years.

By the way I have Technics & don't plan to get rid but I wouldn't mind trying some vestax for a few months, because I am not a luddite ;-)

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

top.gif

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 06-30-2000).]