Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ/Promoter ?

yeah, well, the best way to break into the business is have friends who are promoters or work at venues who'll get you gigs. do free/cheap events when you're first getting started and pass out tapes, just to get your name out there. You could try to sell your tapes to a record store and if you do get a gig, make sure you take part in the promotion by passing out flyers, telling your friends to tell their friends about your event, have a website and make sure it's on all your tapes and flyers as well as a number and email address for booking info. get a tekkie friend to help you put mixes up on the site, a bio, contact info, pictures of you DJing etc, your top-ten list...

-- Cara

cara@clubplanet.com

So here's the deal. I'm a bedroom DJ right now and I'm about ready to start getting gigs and wanted some suggestions from all of you who could help. I figured one of the best ways, besides handing out tapes is to start doing promotions part time for networking. The problem is I got no contacts besides the <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank">guestlists</A> I'm on. So I know some of you promote part-time and I know some of you also DJ, so if anyone knows any contacts you'd be willing to give out or other ways to break into the industry, please let me know. Thanks in advance

If I were you, FreedomTat, I would get two of your hottest, sexiest female friends to be your dancers. Get them some nice pleather outfits and put them in a cage next to your tables. If the sight of them alone doesnt get you a gig, have them suck anyone's dick who looks like they could help.

Just a few other things to add:-

Sending out loads of tapes is ok but you have to send out hundreds to get anything out of it, most people just don't have time to listen to all the tapes so if your going to do them make sure it looks professional. It's all about the cheek & the contacts. Playing bars and free parties will help. You will be very lucky to get a spot without any previous experiance on a big sound system.

If you are really serious, the best place to smooze is the Winter Music conference in Miami. Most of the worlds club owners/DJ's/promoters will be there @ some point so it's a great way to get you foot through the door.

And if all else fails put your own night on.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

It's not just about the notes played, it's about the spaces in-between.

top.gif