Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Remember when Junior Vasquez was good?

I'm with ya dschwed! Yeah I like JP, but Junior will always be the one for me.

Yeah he has his off nights and shit, but doesn't make him bad. His mixing is amazing and I love the vocals he works the shit out of!

Will be a big loss when he goes! IMO

addaboy

AddaBoy no offense but that is not his best work by far, infact that's pretty lame work compared to the years when he ruled nyc as the top producer, that may also be because there were no others...he created the way for every producer and dj out of nyc, he created what has become this club scene today pretty much...but unfortunately in my view and ive been hearing him since 90, that he has fallen off, i think he should retire, he only turns it out like 2-3 times a year, his birthday & gay pride, new years wasn't even that good, his mixing wasn't there...he's 54 what can you expect, i still have the utmost respect for him and what he's done for this scene so don't take it the wrong way...but the remixes he's been doing as of late are not his best work to say the least...

Keep It Real,

Mac

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

I'll HOUSE YOU,

No way did I EVER say that is his best work! Just some good tunes that he now currently plays! Yeah might be past his PRIME, but still better than ALOT of options out there on a Sat night IMO.

addaboy

I probably shouldn't say anything since I have yet to hear him spin, but from his CDs that I have, he seems to be holding his own. He did real well remixing some of Whitney Houston's older songs o her Greatest Hits collection.

54? He's really 54 years old? YIKES! Those of us here in Cleveland OH USA can only hope that our current spinsters (Robin Harris, Sleepy C, Robert Sherwood, Mike Filly, Rob Black, Mike Metz, Tigger, Ian Mariano, Orion, Whatever, Mick Boogie, Andromeda & Tigger) can keep going as long as Mr. Vasquez has.

------------------

Erick Adam "E-rock" Sanders

Back in the day..LIVE at clubs

No on in the world could mix like that man.

The drums, bass, vocals and BUILDUP...WHAT?!?!?!

There was nothing in the world like listening to him..you didn't need no X.

Now, he plays touristy garbage and it's just soooo disappointing.

Even his CD's don't do him justice when he

spun...What the hell happened?

------------------

Din Da Da

I danced sober on Monday afternoon of Gay Pride at Twilo till 4:00 pm and the man was on. He's still very much got it.

I went last week for a few hours and the man was on. Twilo is totally selling out though, there’s no denying that.

Junior is constantly evolving. Some people like his old stuff, some people like his new stuff.

How many 54-year-old people do you know that are on the cutting edge of anything, much less leading the House Music scene in New York City?

He's great at marketing himself and making the most incredible parties that last all damn afternoon, and just get better the later they go! Who else in the world pulls that kind of crowd every week that stays till his last record every time?

He may not be respected as much in the rest of the world as he was from 90-95, but he still takes me where no other DJ can.

Every other DJ is affected and influenced by Junior, they react to him either positively or negatively. Junior is still very much one of the leading forces in the US dance music scene. We can't deny that.

I don’t really care for some of his latest mega-vocal remixes though. Too decadent and busy. I’d rather hear a good groove than some super dramatic diva vocal mix.

Cazz,

You know I do mostly agree with you! How many nights did we spend at Twilo going..."what is this shit?" Even watching Chris dance like BustaGroove couldn't keep us there! lol

Yeah the days at Palladium were AMAZING! That I agree with. But Junior gone?? Not too sure about that. Yeah the music has gotten a bit more commercial and shit, but still he TURNS IT OUT! I'm not talking about the time from 4am until 9am...It's the wee hours of the afternoon that the man does show his flashes of brilliance still. I think it was like back in March maybe, I was there for a pal's b-day and was on the floor around 1pm. He dropped some awesome songs in a row (classics from old mixed with new shit). I stood there with my jaw open (damn those pills were good! j/k).

As for his CD's...Not a fan of any of them to be honest. Although I hear his new Vol 3 & 4 is going to be the best he ever released, but we shall see. Was going to come out this summer, but only time will tell!

Damn, anyone else missing the days of hanging on the bleachers at Arena?? Damn dorms!

addaboy

Arena!!!

Oh Ad, remember? Even though the boys called me a fish (lol) I had a blast.

You didn't have to wait until 12pm to hear him turn it out.

That's what I mean, Junior was on ALL NIGHT.

Building and creating all night.

Not when he kinda felt like for an hour at 1pm.

The crowd was all about the music,OK some drama, but it didn;t matter, cuz Junior TURNED IT OUT....

------------------

Din Da Da

Junior of course was at his best at Sound Factory,at the Tunnel he was out of control/amazing.When he played at the Arena he SUCKED!!!!the music did'nt move me at all and hated the lyrics too many.Now that hes back at wst.27th street,hes been turning it out.My stomping ground,my old workplace.

my 2 cents

------------------

Anthony

Junior of course was at his best at Sound Factory,at the Tunnel he was out of control/amazing.When he played at the Arena he SUCKED!!!!the music did'nt move me at all and hated the lyrics too many.Now that hes back at wst.27th street,hes been turning it out.My stomping ground,my old workplace.

my 2 cents

------------------

Anthony

Junior at tUnneL was the BEST of all worlds as far as i am concerned.. a GREAT location (its a shame its gone to seed), a GREAT mixed (gay/str8) crowd, NO problems, good drugs, only the kind of DRAMA we wanted, no the bad stupid drama. Everything was just perfect back then.. even the old drag queens and club kids were out in force.

Arena.. well.. it holds a dear place in all our hearts i hope... the second-best of Junior's work (of course i was too busy with other matters to listen to much music)... god.. i cry every time i think of Palladium, it being the world class nightclub, the beautiful old theatre, etc. (of course more time was spent in the bathrooms than anywhere...) Altho, i don't think the crowd was as nice, as fun, at Arena as it was at tUnneL.

I personally HATE HATE the Twilo space.. its just an awful setting (altho they have spruced it up and now there is at least some places to sit like the vip lounge). but, in terms of the space, i think its cramped and crappy. and the crowd has TOTALLY changed from previous venues... no more old skool divas, no more old skool drag queens, no club kids... and now that Fernando and Darryl left, well, its not even fun going in to the club frown.gif

i think junior still has it in him, and every time i go, he is still just as amazing and talented as ever.. but i think he needs to figure out where HE is going, where he is taking his scene, where the whole nyc club scene is going.. things are too much in flux right now.. its all unsettled... i think, personally, he needs to get his own space.. and go back to a sound-factory like, after-hours, gay/mixed party with fabulous people.. and none of this crap that goes on at twilo...

pride weekend this year was awesome.. even at the end, at 4pm.. but.. its not the same as the ends of tUnneL or even Arena.

Arena.. are you there?

The Spirit of..Arena.. is "floating higher"

the first time (july 98) i went to Twilo i was so impressed by the atmosphere and JR'skills...RELENTLESS was the shit

i last went to Twilo in December 99, and he plays too hard! if you are sober, you cannot dance, you can just bang your head!

it's really bad i was too young to go to Arena/Sound Factory/Tunnel

i really love some early works like Dream Drums, Divas to the Dancefloor *4 copies*, X...

now, he is on crystal every day because of R'n'G

i think he used to play till 11am at Sound factory, now 2 pm..this is ridiculous

too bad for us

Junior's SICK and EVIL tribal remixes spun at Twilo Saturday's are off the hook. My first time going there was definetly an experience. However, recently his style is falling off, and the commercial, sickening, disgusting vocals that he tends to drag out for what seems like hours gets to me. It is not danceworthy and so much time is spent sitting there waiting for the progression into something more, then he hits you with nothing more than a harder version of that same vocal. Nothing surprising and his style seems all the more primitive as the Juniorverse venue at Twilo progresses. I havent heard anything decent out of him or Twilo Saturdays since 98.

Junior is definetly changing and not in a positive way, but a sickening, lazy, tasteless way that is keeping me dancing less.

The dj's who are cutting up the floors (as Junior once always did, and sometimes still does at Twilo around 12 pm), are without a doubt, Ojeda, Parm, and many of the garage dj's making their ways into the manhattan venues. Although their careers could never measure up to Junior's, THEY are what is keeping New York banging, not Junior.