Clubplanet Nightlife Community

question for dj's...

Anyone use a Vestax out there? If so, have you had problems with the headphone levels? Is there anything that can be done to get more sound or headphones that have their own amp or something??? Or, am I gonna have to break down and buy a Rane? FYI-I'm a club promoter in Hollywood and bought a new mixer and turntables because the club I promote for uses shotty equipment and I was tired of the dj's using crap...but this headphone volume issue sucks too. It seems like NY is more involved on this message board than LA so I thought I'd get some good replies here.

Guest clubkid77

I use a vestax pmc-17a the headphone output is fine.. my headphones are the technics dj1200's i think rane's have a bit higher headphone output but im sure my vestax would be fine in a club. I mean the diference is not that great and you really shouldn't be crankin the headphone volume to the max anyways.

I use a vestax pmc 46 and sony 700 headphones. You can always turn up the gain on the channels to get more juice out of the headphones. I like having my hearing so I don't pump it that high. If somehow that fails on your mixer.....

1. Get headphones w/ a higher sensitivity rating. Thye get louder w/ less volume.

2. Break open the unit and tweak the pot for the gain on the headphone op amp.

3. buy a separate headphone amp to bump up the volume even more.

If anything, I think you are prob just usihg shitty headphones. let us know

Thanks for all the replies. Since it's mainly for the dj's that spin in my club, they all use different headphones...one was using the silver Sony 700 series and he had a hard time hearing over the moniter. This weekend the dj said it was ok, but I was only using one moniter this time. Maybe we had the moniters cranked to high the first time...I'll probably pick up some headphones that pump out enough sound...so the Sony 700 series is the way to go it sounds? I heard the 600's have more bass output, which is what is lacking? Anyone else hear this? What's up with the Technics? I get Technics equipment through work at 10% above cost, so that might be the way to go. Thanks again for all the responses...NYC gets mad props on the 411.

if you don't have those giant snug-fitting headphones that completely cover your ears there may be sound leaking in from outside. Vestax is very reputable, I'd guess maybe the headphones are crappy or too small. Or maybe it's just your mixer that's messed-up or broken, you could take it in to a store to get it checked out.

Guest clubkid77

well the sony 700's are suposed to be really good, i know alot of dj's that use them in fact i am prety sure Paul van dyk uses em, i think i saw them on his head at twilo...

anyways I like the technics dj1200's the ears are not quite as big as the sony but they are a great headphone they just sound great, and can handle all the power ive ever put into em. Again many big dj's use em too, (seb fontaine) anyways you shouldn't make the dj's use the clubs headphones, DJ's bring there own and tend to like what they use, some guys like the stanton "lollypop" or sholder rest, its a single cup type... people use what they like, i would say maybe the monitor is too high but the DJ can turn that down with the mixer anyway... i wouldn't wory about "bass output" in headphones, besides most good dj's mix using the highs not the bass... i have been in dj booths that have poor bass output but a solid mid and high, and mix fine... are the DJ's using both cups to mix? like "headphone blending" or just cuing in the headphone and mixin ofa the monitor? if they headphone mix just turn the monitors down cuz it doesn't have to be pounding then....

[This message has been edited by clubkid77 (edited 07-11-2000).]

Guest clubkid77

2 other thoughts.

providing the mixer is not malfunctioning that is easy to test for turn off the amps play a track and cue it, if you can hear it withought the headphones on yer head its probably fine.

one is how much experience do these DJ's have? i now this sounds wack, but it is often dificult at first spinnin in a club, it takes a couple of weeks for alot of guys to get used to mixin in a both and using the monitors properly *ie* adjusting the monitor and being able to "hear it" when they are spinnin, i know my first few times i had a hard time distinguishing the monitor from the phones...

the second thought is the booth construction or layout and placement. Just about any mixer worthy of being put in a club sends more than enough power to the headphones, so it might be posible that your booth is not "isolated" enough from the dance floor's sound stage. If this were the case the dj may have to crank the monitor up so high to compensate for the echo and sound comin ofa the dancefloor that it overpowers their phones...

Got it, see sometimes, the time in question, I put the dj's on the stage and when that happens, they can't control the montitors with the mixer, the sound guy does with the master board. When they spin in the dj booth, they have control.

About the dj's, my residents have been spinning in clubs or undergrounds for an average of 6 years, some more, some less. The guest dj's have been John Howard, Juan Atkins, Jason Bentley, Steve Loria, etc. and more on the horizon like Stacey Pullen, Eddie Fowlkes, Dan, Farina etc. So, it's not a rookie problem, I think the monitors were just cranked. But, even at home with my shotty monitors, it's hard to hear. I'm gonna try that test you said to see. Thanks again

Guest clubkid77

Maybe yer plug is not makin full contact. This weekend i was mixing on a rane, and 1/2 way through my set i could barely hear my headphones... after 2 mixes i realized something had to be wrong, i looked down and sure enough the headphone plug was only 1/2 way in the jack, i guess i had moved and it pulled out some. ALOT of headphones have 1/8 inch plugs and use the 1/4 inch adapter, make sure the thing is making full contact, maybe try another 1/4 inch adapter. If the plug is not making full contact that can cut yer headphone volume in half.