Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Novice DJs need advice

My friends and I practice spinning and mixing almost everynight and most Saturdays when we have the rest of our friends over we spin for them. We're looking into open turntable places now, but I have a few questions. First, how do you get noticed and given a chance to spin at a club ..not a big place, but one that would give you a chance to see what you got. Second..how do you know you're ready to spin for ppl who don't know you? And I've seen some DJ booth setups and there always so much more eqiupment there that we're used to using, do you get a chance to familiarize yourself with the setup before anything gets going?

Thanks for any advice given.

------------------

Double-Down

It is not death if you refuse it...

The Crow (The original graphic novel)

[This message has been edited by doubledown11 (edited 07-26-2000).]

It might be hard - Do a Demo CD and bring it to a lounge or a teen club,etc. Your best bet though is try to make friends with some club DJ's. Be a friend with them and don't back stab them for a job. Watch, learn and listen to what they do. It's not just mixing that is the key. I was lucky I learned how to spin in a club and then built up from there. Well good luck!!! Pooch

------------------

It's all in the music

Hey thanks alot for the tip. I actually spend a great deal of my time in the club watching the DJs spin. I'm blown away by how they work. It's really a trip to watch.

But you mention that I should get to know the DJs. How do you do that? At Exit they're in a cage and other places in some booth that unless you're a fly chick you ain't gettin in. And isn't kinda gay if you go to the security and ask to let you in? They'd probably look at you like you're screwed in the head.

Thanks again.

------------------

Double-Down

It is not death if you refuse it...

The Crow (The original graphic novel)

[This message has been edited by doubledown11 (edited 07-26-2000).]