Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MILLENNIUM SUMMER: How Was Yours?

OK, Manhattan. You knew someone was goin to ask this sooner or later, so...

HOW'D IT GO?

Your Millennium Summer, that is? Here in Cleveland OH USA, ours started off wet--Memorial day Weekend was rainy two of the four days (OK, I like to add thet Friday before!). Then we got this new club, NV, which was lousy. It was in the location of another place called Aqua (closed due to drugs in mid-Winter), but it was anything but Aqua-like. The atrocious music, the sick people...it was all too much for me.

That's when we got three more clubs. Amsterdam is great, but it's in the Flats East Bank--where 8 million underage teenyboppers and their twentysomething overpaid, underworked, Corona-chugging, wife-beater-clad, overbreeding defiling serfs love to go each year. The other two, Banana Joe's and Earth, opened a month apart--and now could lose their alcohol permits. Why? Why else--serving underage patrons (Ohio's booze laws are TOUGH), of course. It didn't stop "drink-&-drown" from taking on new meaning this year. Three people lost their lives to the Cuyahoga River, two of whom were 20, all of whom had either booze or drugs in their system. The first one's death has resulted in murder charges being filed.

Now the City is considering putting up a chain link fence around all the bars & clubs along the River, and boat docking has already been banned after 9PM for the remainder of the season. One of our biggest places, Shooters On The Water (www.shootersflats.com) will close for the Winter to rebuild their decks to get the City and the Coast Guard off their backs.

So now as we head into the dormant season, things in the nightcrawling world are in a bit of chaos. While the Flats suffered, the Historic Warehouse District (all the NYC-style places are here!) enjoyed the benefits. Yet for some reason, our stubborn traditions (Bud Light, our sports team apparel, Polo RL shirts & Tommy jeans, for one) have caused us to fall light years behind the Heartland. Other cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indy, Chicagoland (of course), and even long-desolate Metro Detroit have begun to catch up and pass us. Thankfully, our municipal government doesn't try to shut the scene down like Manhattan--the mayor and council are too busy trying to kill each other first.

I pray that things will calm down as the leaves start to turn.

That's how my Millennium Summer went. How was yours?

------------------

Erick Adam "E-rock" Sanders