Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Basic mixing question,,,

Ok, I use a rotary mixer so I don't use the crossfader:

Let's say you have the two records well synchronized and at the right tempo, the live record is going into its outro and you're about to bring in the other one in its intro at the right beat.,,,Ok

Do you slowly raise the chanel gain on the incoming record or do you raise it instantly???

How long do you stay in the mix????

The outgoing record, do you cut its gain slowly or instantly???

What's the pro way of doing this or is it a matter of personal preference??

thanx

Originally posted by goclick:

Ok, I use a rotary mixer so I don't use the crossfader:

Let's say you have the two records well synchronized and at the right tempo, the live record is going into its outro and you're about to bring in the other one in its intro at the right beat.,,,Ok

Do you slowly raise the chanel gain on the incoming record or do you raise it instantly???

How long do you stay in the mix????

The outgoing record, do you cut its gain slowly or instantly???

What's the pro way of doing this or is it a matter of personal preference??

thanx

Its definitely a matter of personal preference,

------------------

dancer-10.gif Put some pep in your step DANCER-11.GIF

it's all up to you..and how it sounds....once your ears are more trained...you will be able to hear the mix as it's happening...in the beginning try copying somebody else's mixing style...then after you have mixing down..then you will be able to develop your own style...patience is key smile.gif

Originally posted by gabrielll:

I don't spin much, like 3 hours a week or so. But the trick is to know the songs your playing in and out so that your mix wont get fucked up because of an unexpected break at the end or something.

u know whats funny? i personally mix better when i throw a brand new track on the deck. i guess i start to out-think myself once i get too familiar w a song. ive been working on relaxing and just letting it flow.

-----------------

i love music!

[This message has been edited by sirdante (edited 09-07-2000).]

yes...but once you know your beats...mostly all records fall underneath the same category..but you can still have that unexpected break...but im lazy...never listen to my records...just buy 'em, slap em on the decks...and go.....works best for me...and you learn in the process....but then again ive been doin this shit for mad long..as frankie_pep said...it's all a matter of preference...there is no wrong way to do something....unless your not attaining your goal...whew...I love talkin about DJ'n and music and the like....none of my friends are DJ's..so I can't talk about it frown.gif

For me it depends on the record that's coming in and going out. For example:

record 1 is playing, record 2 is ready to go.

If record 2 has some slammin bass in the beginning I will wait for the last buildup of record one (where it breaks down at the end into a basic drum beat), and will start record 2 at the beginning of that build up and gradually increase the volume. When record 1 buildup is over I will cut all volume from record 1 and slam record 2 up to top volume. It's always a sure energy builder.

It's really all a matter of preference as everyone else has already said, but there are just some things that usually don't sound good at all such as:

record 1 and 2 are vocals,

do not begin the second vocal as soon as the first one ends, you need some drums in between.

also don't combine the riffs or begin one as soon as the other ends (not always, but more often than not it will just sound funny)

------------------

it's not WHAT you know,

it's not WHO you know either

It's WHO KNOWS YOU!

We are young but for a short period of time,

Learn and save as if to last forever,

Live and love as if to die tomorrow!

I learned very early that you must develop your own style but make sure to do your homework and know your beat count. Usualy everything works on sets of 32 beats but not always it is very important that you know whats comming up and when so that you don't wind up combining vocals that do not match or that certain breaks don't come up unexpectedly while you are in the middle of the mix.

Also it is very important that record 2 does not come in too low that is an energy dropper to loud is OK but try to avoid it unless the timing calls for it.

Of course this is only my experiance and I'm sure that in time everything will come together for you.

Good Luck.

gatito biggrin.gif