Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oakenfold vs. JP

gq2727

I'm sure many of you have experienced the magic of an Oakie set at Roxy, Roseland, etc. Not to take any thing away from JP (who is definitely king of NY)..but who do you guys think is better...please tell any of your choices for best DJ that has recently blazed NYC..

Guest crystalmethodny

Muhahahah!

I can see DrAmA written all over this.

First off, JP is king of his own castle. That's it.

Dont even go the NY way... because son, there are a million DJs out there with their own style that bring NYC to what it is. Muhahaha. Muhahaah!

Oakenfold? Go practice your same set 49714444442325 times and play it over and over.

But, I'll give it to Oakie over JP any day of the week.

(expects bashing)

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

True..their styles are obvioulsy different..I'm more interested to know which of the two (or any other) DJ has moved you the most..meaning gives you a feeling that you are in something more than a club. NO drugs are required at Oakenfold.. IMO He is a fuckin rock star and makes going to his shows an incredible experience..the way that he gets involved with the crowd and makes you hang on every single song..

oh steve stop bitchin about factory, you know its your temple biggrin.gif

seriously though, these posts are definetly asking for drama and should be bumped.

but i'll add fuel to the fire. When its comes to skills period, i easily give it to oakie. jp can't hang w/ him there. as for style, i would give it to jp, not b/c i'll like what he spins persay, but the fact that he hits more genre's of music then oakie does in a night which i have to give him credit for

-Rob

------------------

"And thus they give the time, that Nature meant

For peaceful sleep and meditative snores,

To ceaseless din and mindless merriment

And waste of shoes and floors."

[This message has been edited by PFloyd40 (edited 09-15-2000).]

#1...I aint your fuckin son..so lets chill with the bullshit SON. Secondly, in terms of my reference to JP as king of NY...I am clearly talking about a DJ who has a night/residency in a club. Your boy from down the street who throws you mix tapes might be insane..but to me he doesn't mean shit.

#2..if you want to talk about music with me...I will be happy to take 5 minutes of my time and put you to shame. Have you had the pleasure of going to London, Germany, Isreal, and France to really see what MUSIC is all about. I doubt that..probably limited to your Brooklyn block. No arguments meant to be started..just looking for some insight into who everyone thinks is the MAN/WOMAN around here..

this thread def. is out to start drama...but ill add some fuel as well...i would rather hear oakie's same set over and over than JP's racket.

But, they both suck (DJ wise anyways).

But, Oakie runs Perfecto and some cooool tracks used to come off there.

so.....

there ya' go!

Guest crystalmethodny

All I have to say is...

If your knowledge of music comes from going to international clubs, then, its pretty weak.

I give credit to JP, he does his job well, and his people love him. But... he's not the King of this city, there never will be /one/ King... but I think I can name a few DJs (along with most people here) that are far more international the JP, mixes better then JP, has better sets, is more reknowned, respected, humble, loves his people, doesnt do lines of whatever next to the BPM meter, and also has a residency in N Y C.

But why I argue?

You win.

------------------

CM - i think you got him wrong about this whole "king" issue. I think he meant that there are a few "kings" in NYC. Aka DJ's who are residents in the most popular clubs. And of course it's impossible to have 1 "king" because people like different styles. There's definitely more than enough room for 10 or 20 of "kings", maybe even more.

Originally posted by p00h:

what about whitney and dmx? dont be bringing that eurotrash attitude here b2b, or u'll get burned!

DRAMA!

Whitney? The number one world shouting contender? wink.gif More drama...

------------------

May be one day I'll be an honest man... Up till now I do the best I can.

Guest crystalmethodny

Im usually pretty humble about this stuff

Ask PoX, he knows...

I'll just shut up now.

I hate drama wink.gif

------------------

Thanks mysterious..

I was absolutely just trying to get a sense of who everyone thought was the best resident in the NYC club scene. To me it is JP..I have been going to factory for many years..not much very recently because the crowd has totally gotten worse..I was just using JP as a comparrison to Oakenfold who in my opinion is unreal..and I don't see any NY dj that brings the same kind of passion to a crowd that he does. If you have been to an Oakie jam, you see such a diverse crowd..unlike the factory where most people look and act the same. If the euro-trash comment was directe at me..let it be known that I was born, raised, and bred in the City and was pointing out that there is such a difference of music appreciation in other countries..where the focus is MUSIC 1st drugs a far 2nd. Also, I am not here to prove my musical knowledge to anyone..nor defend what was asked a question to get a feel for what the flavors and tastes are for the people on this site. If you have nothing intelligent to respond with..I gather it is because your brain is so drowned in G and K..while my mind is enTRANCED in the music..which gives me a much greater appreciation of the scene..

Just my honest opinion

-peace...GQ

No offense, but this is up there with one of the stupidest posts. Not just this one, but all the posts....SF vs. Exit, Junior vs. DT, Juice vs. no juice.....why the hell does everyone want to compare? Everyone/everything (even music) is different. Praise the good things about it that make it different. Don't rip people down, b/c you think one person/thing is better.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative. Thanks for trying to spark a conversation, but they are two totally different styles and really can't be compared. Apples & oranges IMO

PLUR

addaboy

LOL. These reminds of my teen years...

"The Who is better than Led Zep!"

"No way, Judas Priest is better than Led Zep!"

"What are you stupid? The Doors are better than those two wannabe bands!"

"Yeah, name ten songs from (insert band here) then and I'll show you what real music is about."

"I'm gonna kick your ass!"

"Not if I kick your ass first."

They then proceed to go to the vice principal's office.

Nice to know some things never change.

------------------

Dream a little dream...

Guest crystalmethodny

Yo...

EZdreamer and Adam

STFU and dream on this!

redeemerwhore.gif

wink.gif

------------------