Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC on Acosta

arrakis

Just wondering what you all thought of George Acosta. I personally can't stand him, but so much of Miami supports him immensely that it's hard to kick the cheese-trance/breakbeat craze down here. Deep, tribal house is my love and it's SO hard to find in South Florida!

Guest crystalmethodny

Arrakis

Deep is my favorite as well

Its really that tough to find down there?

Have you checked it out when DT spins down there?

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

There are a few great places down here that play great house music; i.e. BED, Blue, and Push. But the general vibe in the city is hardcore (anthemic) trance. Yeah; DT was pure bliss @ Space here a few weeks ago. Last week I caught a Release (of San Fran) party @ Crobar in Miami w/ Papp, Boissy, etc. spinning - an AMAZING event. I'm trying to get Garth to come down here; it ain't easy though... the San Fran boys were wondering if he could draw a crowd!

I saw him twice, once at Shadow Lounge & once at Exit & I thought he was great both times. To hear every week in and out I think I'd get sick of anyone. IMO.

------------------

"In the underground integrity lies within, in the underground image doesn't mean a thing."

"To dream of the person you want to be is to waste the person you are."

Originally posted by resident:

I was at Crobar last Saturday - fully agreed, it was out of control. The VIP room had a rather bland mix of garden-variety house and techno, but the main room kicked ass.

If you're looking for house, have you checked out Score on Lincoln Road?

If the Crobar you are talking about is in FL, then try then going to CroBar on a Friday. The VIP upstairs is SLAMMING.

Originally posted by rachel1997:

If the Crobar you are talking about is in FL, then try then going to CroBar on a Friday. The VIP upstairs is SLAMMING.

I'm in Miami this weekend and next weekend... maybe will check it out. Feel all partied out though; kind of wanted to just roll on the beach during the day and hit something moderate at night... must be getting old!

Originally posted by resident:

I'm in Miami this weekend and next weekend... maybe will check it out. Feel all partied out though; kind of wanted to just roll on the beach during the day and hit something moderate at night... must be getting old!

The only way I got up there was flirting with the guy.... lol... since there is 2 VIP rooms, have fun!!!! Remember, Thursday is hip-hop and R&B - it's very packed there. OH, and they have a website - http://crobarmiami.com/

Friday is the best - only in the VIP upstairs. They have Techno on the main floor. smile.gif Hope this helped!

Originally posted by rachel1997:

The only way I got up there was flirting with the guy.... lol... since there is 2 VIP rooms, have fun!!!!

Last weekend my friend had a birthday - she threw it in the room all the way at the top. I love their VIP room, except for when those rich guys really get their egos worked up, it becomes sickening.

I used to go to that place back in the day when it was still called Cameo Theater... back then it was really dodgy and there was no VIP room at all. They've really done a great job renovating the place.

Alright people,

I may be a little bias because George happens to be a friend of mine but you people got it all wrong. First of all...he's trance so if you're comparing him to DT, a legendary house dj, good luck. If you want to hear good progressive trance in Miami, I recommend Shadow Lounge, Space,& leave it at that. No one goes to see the same dj every week or it's pretty obvious you'll get sick of them...unless of course it's PVD but we won't get into that...However, if you're looking for house, George is not your man so stick to DT. For the lucky few who see GA when he comes to NY, he usually caters to you people and plays more house so if you do like Acosta at all and you want to see how he spins house, keep an eye out for when he comes to NY. It probably won't be anytime soon because he hates to have to leave Miami but when he comes, he'll be good. In addition, you won't be seeing him at Exit anymore because he's had it with that dump. He is always getting better in his dj skills and his album Awake got four stars so stop player hating..ta ta

Hey, what up, NL?! How is/was Ibiza?? The music last Friday in Crobar's VIP room was great, if you're into hard house - Julius Papp and Franky Boissy were spinning up there. I don't think PVD is all that... his set last weekend @ Space in Miami was VERY predictable. Although he's an excellent mixer, I thought he could have done better with track selection. I'm sure GA would have enjoyed his set! Anyways, off to Ibiza tomorrow... I can't wait!!

Man, Acosta better work on his repertoir and come up with a new tracklist...

I was down in Miami for the summer, and everytime I was @ Shadow Lounge, it seemed like he just played his Awake CD over and over again... Same crap evrytime... I know he likes to please the crowd, but it was almost like a radio station playing zombienation or backstreet boys over and over again just 'cause the people like it...

I guess the biggest influence in Acosta's style is the home crowd in Florida... Those guys enjoy the anthemic trance too much... to the point were they burn it!!! At the end of the summer I just couldn't take one more song like Iguana or Pulsar or even Zombie Nation!!! AAAHHH just thinking about it gives me a headache...

Thanks God I'm back in PA!! one step away from NYC!!! Back to the city every other Friday!!!

------------------------

Peace, Love & Twilo for Everyone!!!

Alright...first off it was 4 out of 5 but I'm not gonna get into this with you people. I respect your opinions and thats that...as for PVD , he's all that, a bag of chips, salsa, and guacamole. Go see him at twilo...that's his favorite crowd to play for in all the world.