Clubplanet Nightlife Community

HOW MUCH SHOULD YOU TIP A BARTENDER?

petp

Originally posted by psknoll:

I'm a bartender too, vejita is right on, sirdante--a quarter--NEVER LEAVE CHANGE ON THE BAR!! I'd rather get stiffed than get a 50 cent tip! I over-tip only cause I know how it feels to be behind the bar--anyway you always get treated better if you're not cheap! And yes you should tip when you buy water!! cwm12.gif

I knew a bartender that if someone left a quarter or 50 he would just give it back to them and say politlely, I think you need this more than I do. Or sometimes he would take the quarter and ping it off the back of the guys head as he walked away smile.gif It all depended on his mood.

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Originally posted by schwingep:

I knew a bartender that if someone left a quarter or 50 he would just give it back to them and say politlely, I think you need this more than I do. Or sometimes he would take the quarter and ping it off the back of the guys head as he walked away smile.gif It all depended on his mood.

I've done that several times, the look on the persons face is enough tip!!

cwm32.gif

So far I agree with whats been said here... the quater thing??? get real.

I tend to tip a lot in the beginning of the night also, I want the bartender to come to me when they see me, instead of the chick who just walked up with the big tits. And if they know I tip well then they usually do.

I do not, however, tip well a bartender who sees me standing there, and continues to go to someone else, if they do that 2 much, I won't give him shit just out of spite.

Though usually its all good. I like the fact that if they see me tip well they will make the next drink a little stonger.... sometimes though, I have had them make it so strong I can hardly drink it..... :o)

------------------

Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my favorite ax.

well NYers,

sorry. i forgot who i was talking to. up here where a quarter still means something, its fair to leave a quater tip at a cheap beer place. here you can still get a 12 oz bottle of beer for $1.75 and a draft for $.75.

u guys r right, now that i think of it, i dont think ive ever left a quarter on an NYC bar! i stand corrected.

BTW, anybody who gets insulted by a small tip is still an asshole in my mind. its not proper ettiquette to demand a token of someones appreciation. as i said in the other tip post, if you r a bartender who doesnt like the tipping game, then you r in the wrong business. it only matters how much $$$ you bring home at the end of the night.

------------------

i love music!

I usually tip $1.

My friends and I actually tipped a waitress $50 once. We were in a drunken stupor. cwm32.gif

I also tipped a lady bartendar once $5, and I got her digits...she was a lovely thing....we dated a little bit, but she began to give me service without a smile and I had to take my tips elsewhere.

------------------

lpbutton.gif

"Some men get the world, others get a hooker and a trip to Arizona."

"Do you still dream...do you still dream like me...infectious corruptive dreams."

shadowchaser076@aol.com

Vejita's on point.. cept.. when I'm in a club and I buy water.. I'm not tippin someone for giving me a bottle of water.

------------------

gohanssj2.gif

<I'm a Fire-starter>

--- When the Artful speaks

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

asthanos.gifeye.gifskulmov.gif

"Takin' out the suckas, and they don't know how I did it!!!"

munch.GIF

Float like a butterfly,

Sting like a bee.

I got the glow, baby!!

Can ya feel it?!?

Now back up and give me some dancin' room!!

dancingbaby.gif

[This message has been edited by artful (edited 09-26-2000).]

I am a bartender too. If I ever get tipped less than $1 per drink, I make sure not to serve that person again. Most bartenders do not get paid by the club/ bar, and a tip IS NOT A TOKEN OF APPRECIATION!!! IT is how bartenders get paid. And for that ass that said he goes around to diffrent bartenders, so that they do not notice that he does not tip - it is usually noticed!!! Most bartenders hava a system to notify the other bartenders who the non-tippers are (usually pointing them out to a barback or security). Also, keep in mind it is not mandatory to serve you! A bartender can refuse to serve you if you do not tip.

Thank you Melmer!! I totally agree w/ you. I do think that bartenders should be friendly, it's part of the job. But a token of appreciation--oh please--it's how we get paid. I don't want to sound harsh but if you can't leave at least $1 per drink you should not be going out in NYC!!! cwm10.gif

ok...i know about this one being a bartender...this is the deal...don't undertip a bartender...that just sucks...if you tip them 1-2 dollars a drink that's cool, that's fine...if you tip them 2 dollars or more per drink...they will know you right away...you don't realize it...but a bartender will remember a face very quickly...they will remember the tippers and the non-tippers very quickly...so if you want service, tip. Second-If you are at a private party with an open bar...tip....think about it...Alot of the time you have people who come up to the bar like 10 times ordering 10 drinks at a time and they don't tip anything...that's fucked up. They think the bartender is being taken care of but they still need tips. It is also just a way of saying thank you for somebody who has been waiting on you all day...even if at the end of the night you give them a 10 or something...Think about it, you didn't pay for a drink all night so what's 10 dollars...It goes a long way.

Hey Melmor. Know your role and shut your mouth. Have you ever heard the expression "Customer is always right". well that applies to bartending as well. Nobody is obligated to tip. The fact that the club doesn't pay you shouldn't make me tip you, quit your job and get a job where the place will pay you, where you do no depend on your tips. And also, YOU Are mandated to serve me, I'm the freaking customer and the club makes mad money from me buying your drinks. If you dont' serve me i'm going to the manager and getting you fired. So there. ... cwm44.gif

Originally posted by melmer:

I am a bartender too. If I ever get tipped less than $1 per drink, I make sure not to serve that person again. Most bartenders do not get paid by the club/ bar, and a tip IS NOT A TOKEN OF APPRECIATION!!! IT is how bartenders get paid. And for that ass that said he goes around to diffrent bartenders, so that they do not notice that he does not tip - it is usually noticed!!! Most bartenders hava a system to notify the other bartenders who the non-tippers are (usually pointing them out to a barback or security). Also, keep in mind it is not mandatory to serve you! A bartender can refuse to serve you if you do not tip.

You have got to be kidding me! A tip IS a token of appreciation. You should not expect it if you are not doing your job properly (i.e. being rude, making weak/shitty drinks, etc.). Also, it IS mandatory for a bartender to serve you unless you are extremely intoxicated or have extreme attitude. I know a few bar owners and if their bartenders refused to serve people because they didn't tip well, those bartenders would not have jobs for long.

I personally believe in tipping well and over tipping if the bartender is really great. If it's a buy back, I'll give 50%.

------------------

"I love the things that we should fear"

Hey Sherenta - you obviously work at McDonalds!!!

"Customer is always right"..does not apply at a club!! You open your mouth to complain at a club to a manager, security, owner, anyone...and you will get your ass kicked the hell outta there!!!

Check out the "STATE LIQUOR AUTHORITY HANDBOOK"

Most Common Violations of the law (page 5):

Sale to Intoxicated Person

*A bartender can refuse to serve you, by law!! All they have to do is say you are intoxicated...and that is simple - easy to do!! If you do not treat your bartender well, they can refuse to serve you!!!!

*A bartender can refuse to serve you, by law!! All they have to do is say you are intoxicated...and that is simple - easy to do!! If you do not treat your bartender well, they can refuse to serve you!!!!