Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Do People Really Not Know Who JOSH WINK Is?

Originally posted by spoonyd:

Just wondering. There's a lot of posts of people asking who he is, or making similar comments.

Is it possible to be into electronic music enough to spend time chatting on a message board all day and still not know who Josh Wink is? I don't mean to come down on people... but really. The man is one of the pillars upon which modern electronic music has been built.

How is this possible?

Josh Who ???

haha ...

shocking isn't it ....

------------------

"Without sounding pretentious i don't view what i do as djin'....i look at it as makin' soundscapes with the music and the energy .....the clubs, and the people in the clubs (myself included) are the canvas.....let's paint!"

I heard Josh Wink spin in Hartford a while back. True to his reputation, he fucked with the dance floor during his entire set. He plays some unusual, sometimes offensive, disturbing songs. But that's his steez, and he doesn't give a fuck, but my friend Thomas Penton says that Wink is the nicest cat around.

Peace,

David Christopher www.headrushmusic.com

cwm12.gif

I've known Wink since "Don't Laugh" (I'd annoy all my friends by laughing like that all the time)

I listened to "Higher State of Consciousness" on what in those days was the most expensive outdoors sound system in Europe at a club called M&M in Bodrum, Turkey and still had hearing problems the next day.

So what's the deal, where and when's he playing?

morph_ cwm13.gif

------------------

This is my church

This is where i heal my hurts

It's in natural grace

Or watching young lives shape

It's in minor keys

Solutions and remedies

Enemies becoming friends

When bitterness ends

This is my church

I LOVE JOSH WINK!!!!

I'm so excited!!! "Are You There" "Higher State Of Consciousness" "Don't Laugh" "Black Bomb" "I'm On Fire" "Back In The Day" I LOVE JOSH WINK!!!

And what? He's gonna be where?

TWILO!!! HOLY SHITE!!!

Sorry, I'm a little too excited. I've never seen him live before.

Did I happen to mention that

I LOVE JOSH WINK!!!

Sorry, I'm done now. cwm41.gif

cwm41.gifcwm30.gif

cwm12.gif

------------------

"What's my name?!!! Say my name bitch!!!!"

"Oh, I feel so vulnerable!"

Philly resident here checkin in-

I've heard Wink spin numerous times and have yet to really dig any of his sets. I've checked him numerous times from his sets back in the day at the old Milkbar (now Shampoo), to his featured sets at the WMC, to his monthly residencies at Fluid. He just never does it for me.

As a producer, Wink's talents are endless. As a superclub dancefloor DJ, I think you might be disapointed. As for a Friday night Twilo set, he's very out of place.

His sets vary in music style, spanning from garage to house to tech to progressive, but he just doesn't have that banging sound by which Twilo thrives. He would do much better at a Centro-Fly or even a lounge.

Yeah, he'll show you a couple new sounds, but you'll be yawning the whole time. Just my thoughts on the matter.

However if you do decide to go, Josh is a great guy and extremely down to earth and approachable.

------------------

Pac Man Fever.....

Originally posted by mysteriousss:

Well, it takes time to learn it all. There are SO many DJ's and unless you are in the scene for at least a couple of years and totally devote your life to it, you will not know all about it. I don't think there is anything wrong with ppl not knowing anything and everything about all DJ's.. Personally, I like to discover new DJ's that I haven't heard before. Maybe in a year I'll know all of them but for now it's more fun to learn and experiment..

exactly... spoony is a music snob. don't worry. sorry there, mr. electronic music, but not all of us devote our LIVES to techno. I go to clubs every weekend, have for a couple years now (granted, I'm sure it's nowhere near the amount of time you've put in. don't think I disrespect that) and I've never heard of Josh Wink. I learn about these DJs from this board, mostly. So if I have a question I'll come here because people here can tell me so much more than his online biography can. Or at least they COULD, if they would step down from the altar once in a while. Look guys, I understand that he's a major influence in techno music, but i hadn't before, and please, there's no need to stoop to this level and play it off like we're all simpletons. Thanks.

~~

------------------

ski_accident_md_wht.gif

"Happy the man, and happy he alone, he who can call today his own, he who, secure within, can say, 'Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have liv'd today'." - Horace

"Be excellent to each other." - Rufus

"Para no morir, tiene que bailar." - Ricky Martin

[This message has been edited by lmsadc69 (edited 01-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lmsadc69 (edited 01-16-2001).]

Originally posted by lmsadc69:

[bI go to clubs every weekend, have for a couple years now (granted, I'm sure it's nowhere near the amount of time you've put in. don't think I disrespect that) and I've never heard of Josh Wink

I'll make no bones here. You have no excuse. I don't know about music from clubbing, I know about music because I actually enjoy it. I listen to it, I search it out and explore it constantly. I go to clubs because because I like music, not the other way around. I have no fucking clue why you would bother going out every weekend for two years and never take an interest in the music you're going deaf to.

I'm not a music snob in any way. I'm simply passionate about it. No one has suggested that anyone is a simpleton, and if you'll look, this thread has given a lot of good feedback on the man and the music (which was the point). If you want to spend all your money every weekend and get nothing out of it other than maybe a hangover and a piece of ass, that's your business. Don't be a bitch because other people happen to like music.

I'm done

spoony out

------------------

Voted one of the top 3 dj's - Clubplanet Awards 2001

Originally posted by j303j:

there is more out there then the usual music they play at twilo. people need to broaden there musical taste and try out other styles of music. for years all i listened to was techno and nothign else. now i have opened up my ears to all kinds of music and i seem to appreciate the music more. who woudl have thought a few years ago that i would be listeing to house music but i tried it out and now i love it. some people are just close minded.

It's not that I'm close minded my friend, and dont get me wrong.. Josh Wink is a great DJ and throws down some nice sets, but I think you can be with me on this one in saying he cant rock Twilo like lets say a Sasha, or a Carl Cox. I was just trying to let the people who didnt know who he was not to have that high of an expectation if they go to the usual Sasha, Cox, or PVD nights.

spoony- you make many solid points in this thread. i've seen Wink three times in the past few years, once in philly, once in boston, and most recently at twilo a while back.

he is not a dj who will take you on that journey, thats for sure... but it is cool to see what music he is digging at any specific time. he's an individual, and an innovator and although i won't go see him this friday, i would recommend hearing what he has to put out. just don't go to boston to see him, the sour taste in your mouth when it's all over will come close to ruining the experience. lol

be cool,

stephen

------------------

we must cultivate our gardens...

I saw Josh Wink a couple months ago. I loved his tracks through the 90s but hadn't really been up on what he was spinning around the time I saw him. His set was fucking awewsome. That dude worked the crowd like I have never seen. Like someone said before me on this thread, you don't go to see JW to go on a journey like like, say, S&D. You go to hear good music and JW makes it a really fun night.

You guys are in a for a real treat. Don't miss it.

cwm44.gif

I am from Germany and of course I/we know him here too. As someone pointed out earlier he is an electronic music icon and his higher State of Conciousness a landmark. Too bad I'm gonna miss his set at Twilo. Would be interest íng to hear him, especially since he is getting such mixed feedback as a live DJ here.

Will be back in town on Feb 9 for PvD. See you then!

Originally posted by spoonyd:

I have no fucking clue why you would bother going out every weekend for two years and never take an interest in the music you're going deaf to.

Just a clarification.. I think we were talking about DJ's that we've never heard before or never heard OF before.. Not the DJs that spin at our favorite clubs that we go to every weekend..