Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rave promoters face narcotics charges

From New Orleans' Times Picayune:

Rave promoters face narcotics charges

Indictments based on 'crackhouse law'

01/13/01

By Gwen Filosa

Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

In an unprecedented application of a federal law designed to target crackhouse operators, U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan has secured narcotics indictments against three men accused of promoting drug-ridden dance "raves" at the State Palace Theater that lured thousands of young people.

On Friday, a federal grand jury indicted Robert J. Brunet, 37, of Metairie; his brother Brian Brunet, 33, of Tampa, Fla.; and James D. Estopinal, aka Donnie, 32, of New Orleans, on narcotics charges.

At raves held between 1995 and last August, Robert Brunet, manager of the State Palace Theater at 1108 Canal St., is accused of turning the place into a market for hallucinogens such as ecstasy and LSD.

While the Palace pulsated with teens drawn to the techno music and laser light shows that define a rave, undercover agents in recent months scoured the place, capturing a number of drug buys on videotape, officials said.

The so-called federal "crackhouse law," which has been on the books for years, makes it illegal for anyone to manage or make a building available for drug sales.

Jordan said Friday's indictments mark the first time the law has been used against rave promoters.

He accused the Brunet brothers and Estopinal of designing events with "pervasive" drug abuse in mind.

"In my experience as U.S. attorney, this is one of the most unconscionable drug offenses I've seen," Jordan said, standing beside New Orleans Police Superintendent Richard Pennington and Special Agent George Cazenavette III of the Drug Enforcement Administration. "These men used rave concerts to exploit very young people."

The men are due in federal court next week for arraignment and will comment on the charges at that time, their attorneys said Friday. If convicted, each faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and $500,000 in fines.

Many rave devotees insist the marathon dances are about music and individual expression -- not drugs. In an interview last year with The Times-Picayune, Estopinal said, "The word 'rave' should not be synonymous with drugs. There are drugs involved, but that's a part of all of American culture today."

Medical professionals are not so accepting. In the past two years, New Orleans raves have yielded a bumper crop of about 400 drug overdoses, Cazenavette said. "Fifty percent of rave attendees were juveniles." And the number of overdoses has dropped sharply since the Palace rave schedule dried up last year, he said.

Emergency medical workers in New Orleans have learned to tip off Charity Hospital when they hear about a rave.

"We can routinely, routinely, expect a minimum of two (overdoses) up to a maximum of 12," hospital spokesman Jerry Romig said.

After attending a Palace rave in August, at least five young people were treated at Charity for overdoses. One suffered seizures, kidney failure and a temperature of 106 degrees. The rave-related overdoses treated in Charity's emergency room are particularly harrowing, Romig said. Drugs are mixed with "alcohol in many cases, which complicates the conditions. They'll just flat out stop breathing."

Making matters worse, the overdoses divert emergency room doctors from other patients in crisis. "We've got to stop or share resources with someone who has just had a stroke, a heart attack, a victim of a motor vehicle accident -- people who are injured through no fault of their own," Romig said. "Ravers pay no attention to the drugs they're messing with."

Jordan said the Palace encouraged drug use by selling items that supposedly "enhance" the high of ecstasy: Pacifiers, flashing light rings and "chemical light sticks" were peddled as the music pumped through the theater, he said.

Robert Brunet and Estopinal also are accused of letting a group that advocates "club drugs," such as ecstasy, set up tables and hand out pamphlets describing the "safe" use of the chemicals.

The "crackhouse" law has proved effective across the country in seizing property and convicting people who owned or managed buildings where crack was made and sold.

This case will serve as a warning to any would-be rave promoters with visions of drugs and teens on their minds, Pennington said. Asked if people using the word "rave" in their advertisements for dance parties are setting themselves up for investigation, he said, "Possibly."

Jordan predicted other cities will follow New Orleans' example in using the law against rave promoters. "Word of this indictment has spread across the country," he said.

------------------

"Hey there you are.

-Do I know you?

No but there you are!"

That seems kinda bullshit to me. Sure, kids overdosing is a horrible thing, but I find it hard to believe that these promoters set up their raves with gleeful visions of kids getting fucked up. Promoters don't have time for shit like that--they're too busy trying to not go bankrupt. It's not the promoters who are encouraging drug use--it's one raver introducing drugs to another raver.

And I hate the arguments against groups like DanceSafe that claim that such groups encourage drug use by educating kids about the "proper" way to do drugs. It's this pig-headed refusal of the government to release information on drugs that leads to ODs. People are going to do drugs no matter what. Shouldn't they be able to test their ecstasy to make sure it isn't poison? Shouln't they be able to know exactly what that ketamine will do to them if they take it with alcohol. We all shouldn't have to learn the hard way. It's like outlawing gun safety courses because they make people better at handling firearms properly.

Peace,

David Christopher

------------------

Get into Cheetah for only $5! Visit www.headrushmusic.com for more details.

Original beats: Visit www.mp3.com/headrushmusic to hear my tracks.

Pooter's Trance Shack and Moonshine Distillery: The fattest radio station on the web is at www.mp3.com/stations/pooter and we're open to your submissions!

OMG...that's fucking crazy! I know "donnie"...I went to parties when I was in school in New Orleans and down there he is the "big man"....any party that means anything, aka big djs etc, is thrown by him and his crew. That is crazy but he will definitely get out of it, no doubt. He has mad connections down there and that city is corrupted anyway.

Thanks for posting that. ...very interesting.

I am no lawyer; but I cannot see these guys being convicted. How can you convict someone of something; they had no knowledge of? Furthermore, the police should be on trial for failure to do their duty. I see no mention of any arrest for drug purchases. The federal government knows this case is weak. Their goal of bringing these bogus charges is to scare promoters, and put an end to raves. The Governor of my state Jeb Bush (George W. ‘s little brother), and the mayor of Miami have declared a war on raves, and any club that may appear to attract a rave crowd. At any rave advertised in Florida, you will find a stream of undercover cops. In order to appease local law enforcement. One Club in Miami called Space; has gone as far as to Ban glow sticks and mini lights. The possession of these materials in Space will get you thrown out. As these items are considered drug paraphernalia; according to Space. What these governmental agencies fail to recognize; is that drugs are a part of society. We are not going to win the Drug War; as long as there is demand.More money needs to be spent on Drug prevention and awareness. I take my hat off to organizations such as Dancesafe. What's more busting rave promoters with the intent of sending a message to other promoters; will just take the scene underground again… It simply amazes me how ignorant law enforcement and politicians can be sometimes..

Peace,

Sobeton