Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New York Cares

Well last night Danielle and I went to the NYCares orientation. What a great event they have going. The organization seems very well run with plenty of funding from various sources. No government funding outside of a newly aquired grant to hire some full time technology staff members. Basically for thouse of you that don't know. You give up about 30 minutes of your time to go to this orientation where they get your address and explain who they are and what kind of work you would be doing. Then every month they send you a calendar. You can choose anything or nothing to do that month.

All volentier work is done in teams of people so it's not only a good cause, but it's a great socializing event as well. You have to go to the orientation for their insurance purposes, but it's not much of a time strain at all. After that there is no obligation... if you let 3 months pass between volenteer work you will be purged out of their database and stop recieving calendars, but I'm sure you could call them up and get that reinstated.

So anyway you can get some more information about then aswell as when the next orentation is at http://www.nycares.org . I hope that we can get some more board members into the organization. We all have a few hours on the weekend or after work one day of the week that we could fill by helping children, pets, seniors, adults, re painting schools, reading books to people... basically caring.

//sariman

------------------

clubplanet_sig.gif

I'm so glad that I went.

It's a great organization and they make it very easy for you to participate. Was thinking about starting off with a dog walking/playing with cats activity soon. Playing cards with seniors on the upper west side also got my attention. (how else am i supposed to keep my cantasta skills fresh?)

Also intend on working with kids and preparing and distributing meals etc.

i think this is a great idea. everybody needs a volunteer outlet. the only problem i see with this thread is that you won't get many people to read it because the heading isn't catchy or informative enough & there's just too much competition for other "spicier" topics on this board. i'd suggest starting another thread with a catchy title..."LET'S REDEEM OURSELVES FOR OUR SINS" or something humorous, clever & catchy.

He-he-he ... Slow down Danielle ... you remind me of this girl @ orientation that asked if there's rules against doing more than one activity per day. It's awesome you're so excited though, I'm really glad this ClubNYC charity thing is kicking off.

Still waiting for my darn calendar. I usually get it via email but nothing yet. I'm hoping there's something interesting on Feb 18th ... maybe that God's Love We Deliver food kitchen thing again, that was fun ... I want to give a little something back to NYC that day for bringing DT & Cox together at Twilo that night. cwm38.gif - Mel

Originally posted by mel-o-d:

Hey! I'm psyched you guys went to the orientation. Still waiting for my Feb. calendar from them, but anyone up for an end of February activity?

cwm38.gif - Mel

Sounds cool. I think you can get the calendar online. Not sure how yet because I haven't tried. What problem area do you want to try and work in... personally I'm interested in either kids, pets, or litericy. I wouldn't mind AIDS/HIV help either.

//sariman

------------------

clubplanet_sig.gif