Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Memories of Tampa - My Super Bowl Experience

roby

Just got back last night from four insane days in Tampa, Florida, where I watched our local sports team get the living snot beat out of it by some team called the Ravens (I suppose the next expansion team will be the Los Angeles Pigeons or something like that).

Here's my story for those who care:

I arrived on Saturday after finishing John Digweed's set at Twilo on Friday .. life without sleep is actually quite interesting. I then went to a dinner with a bunch of other boring old guys who were along for the trip (this was a big corporate boondoggle ... a waste of cash, but I can't complain). Sean Landeta, the Giants All-Pro punter from the 1980s, joined us at dinner and offered us many stories of the G-Men's locker room back in the day (including some great Lawrence Taylor stuff .. "LT used to get by on very little sleep - I don't know how he did it" .. we know how he did it, Sean, he was on coke!!! For ten fucking years!!). Unfortunately, Mr. Landeta would not tell us about his glorious bachelor days in Manhattan, when he was the guy who dated Marla Maples before the Donald got his grubby paws on her.

We then retired to Ybor City, which is the Bourbon Street/cheap bar neighborhood of Tampa. They had this festival going on (Gazpirilla, some sort of tribute to the pirates and swashbucklers of Tampa's past) that was a mock Mardi Gras, complete with guys offering girls beads for exposed breasts. I haven't seen that many tits in a while, so it was a good thing. Saw plenty of Giants fans complete with mullet-heads (short hair on top, long in back) and thin mustaches. Must all the NY fans look like low-lifes from the Bronx, or worse yet, from Newark? Ay carumba ...

We were at the Sports Illustrated "Celebrity" party, which actually had very few celebrities (a couple of NFLers like Kurt Warner and Steve Beurelein, but that was it ... no super-models who, not surprisingly, would not show their pretty little heads in that kind of mob scene). We would have loved to experience Tampa's famous ballet (re: strip clubs), but the long lineups and excessive police presence kinda turned us off.

For the record, this was the biggest white trash festival I've ever scene, yet the cops were only arresting the black guys. Hey, just like New York!!!

We awoke on Sunday morning to a pleasant surprise .. Joe Montana was in our hotel and would sign autographs and take pictures with our tour group!! Joe looked SO hungover, but he hung in there and answered our silly questions ("Who do you like in the big game, Joe?" "If a schlub like Trent Dilfer can make it to the big game, do you ever think about coming out of retirement?").

We then went to a couple of tailgate parties, where we hung with the likes of NBA legend Clyde Drexler and NFL Hall of Famer and current Fox Network mouthpiece Howie Long. Then off to the stadium for the big game (but not before consuming many beers and smoking many doobies). The best scene was a group of tailgaters next to the stadium with no tickets who set up a van with a huge TV (plugged into the car lighter), planted a couch and shag carpeting on the asphalt, and made a makeshift living room to enjoy the game. Good ol' American ingenuity!!

On the way into the stadium, I passed by Evander Holyfield and his posse (can't that guy travel by himself? At least he wasn't singing hymns like he does before entering the ring). We had great seats: 30-yard line, 15 rows off the field. Ray Lewis did that pre-game dance right in front of us, and I greeted him with the chant of "MURDERER!! YOU KNOW YOU KILLED THEM, RAY!!! THE BLOOD IS ON YOUR HANDS!!!" I'm sure that endeared me to the Ravens fans in attendance.

After sitting through Sting and Styx(!?) for the pre-game, we enjoyed Ray Charles and the Backstreet Boys singing the national anthems. The coolest part of that was NOT hearing the Stealth bomber fly by overhead ... damn, if that thing doesn't really work!!!

If any of you are football fans, you must see a game at Tampa's Raymond James Stadium. A true fan-friendly jewel, with lots of space to move around. I've never been to a pro football game where I did not have to stand in line for the toilet until last Sunday - hats off, Tampa.

You all saw the game .. boring, sloppy, all defense. The halftime show was a spectacle, but not necessarily entertainment (although I must admit Steven Tyler has an impressive physique for a man in his 70s). But at least I was able to win some cash by taking the Over (which was 32.5 points .. thank you to my bookie for taking that bet!!). And after many more beers amid the post-game fireworks/party, we called it a day.

All in all, a fun weekend. This is the great American cultural festival, whether you like it or not. I hope you all have the chance to experience it at some point in your life. But after hanging in Florida for a few days, I was so glad to come back to New York. That much white trash was too much to handle for a city boy like me.

Good night, and may God bless ...

------------------

AIM name: noserotoninleft

CRACKHEADS OF THE WORLD UNITE!! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR BRAINS!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!! ROB IS BACK. i wish i was down in tampa with ya. i need to get away to a warm place. how the hell did you sit on a plane after the night we had?? cwm3.gif

------------------

0524a.gif

IM LIKE JIMMY WALKER, DYNAMITE!!!!!!

pistol packin, monkey drinkin, no money bum, im from jersey cause that's where im from!!!!

AOL J303J

hey rob.....im goin to tampa on Sat smile.gif....prolly not gonna have as much fun as you did wink.gif

------------------

-----"A man makes his sunshine, and he makes his rain. Look at what you have, and where you are, before you say, "I've had a horrible day" Appreciate what you have, and realize how much others wish they could have that much. Live Life, and LOVE IT!" --Me

-----"THE BOWL OF FREEDOM IS KICKED! THE BOWL OF FREEDOM IS KICKED!" Melissa of the NJ ChaCha's

-----"ALOT OF BEER ALOT OF GIRLS AND ALOT OF CURSIN', .22 AUTOMATIC ON MY PERSON." -Beastie Boys

lovepeacetwilo.jpg

twilo.jpg

I think i'm going to cry.....check out my "from" section. Please have pity on my soul.

------------------

..The judge said: "Son, what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't have to die." Well I said not a word. Though it meant my life, for I'd been in the arms of my best friends wife.

Duuuude your crushing my head!

twilo.jpg

[This message has been edited by flippin_e (edited 02-01-2001).]

FYI, or everyone's once this is posted, LT used to hang out at my apt. b/c my roomie has been having an i-don't-know-what-you'd-wanna-call-it with him since she was 17.....it's scary bumping into the likes of him on a midnight trip to the bathroom.....

actually she now lives upstairs b/c she moved into her own place so i don't have the pleasure of LT anymore....not that anyone really gives a doodie but i find that guys like the stories i have about LT and my roomie....

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a snow bunny!!!

uknj@aol.com

Originally posted by roby:

Actually, I've been using the pictures I took to fill in the memory gaps ... but, hey, at least I stayed out of jail!!

You DID NOT go to jail??? I am ashamed to say you are my friend if you couldn't even spend ONE night in jail!!!

cwm24.gifcwm24.gifcwm24.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

------------------

1006.gif

Originally posted by jdogg:

From the sounds of it, I am surprised that you were able to remember that much of the weekend.

Actually, I've been using the pictures I took to fill in the memory gaps ... but, hey, at least I stayed out of jail!!

------------------

AIM name: noserotoninleft

CRACKHEADS OF THE WORLD UNITE!! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR BRAINS!!!

good read...meanwhile I'm still in sunny Florida- I miss home...but the beaches here are magnificent!

Glad you overall had a good time!!

See you this coming weekend!!! cwm4.gif

------------------

goof_anm.gif

*~**~*~**~~ No man/woman is worth your tears... and the only one who would be- would never make you cry ~~**~*~**~*

AIM MissIncognito13