Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MORE IMPORTANT... Mixing skills or Track selection...

any thoughts?

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Tracks, but NO PLAYLISTS... Read the crowd. Forget whats big and FIND whats big.

Educate as well as entertain.

IMO.

good to see you posting more again, where's Brandie? Tell here to get her arse back smile.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

DEF TRACK SELECTION ! ! ! (ITS THE MUSIK MAKERS THAT MATTER)

FUCK MIXING I DONT CARE HOW GOOD THE DJ IS

(AS FAR AS I KNOW BORIS HAS PRERECORDED SETS SO DOES OAKIE AND A BUNCH OF OTHERS)

I DON'T CARE HOW REAL IT IS AS LONG AS ITS GOOD'N SMOOTH

I HATE ALL THESE WANNA BE EXPEREMENTATORS - LIKE SANDRA COLINS - I'M NOT JUMPING ON HER TRACK SELECTION - I DONT CARE IF SHE HAS NO TASTE (I DUNNO JUST NOT MY TYPE OF MUSK) BUT SHE CANT MIX FOR SHIT AND SHE TRYS TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING GOOD AND EVERY TIME MISERABLY FAILS

JUST MY 2 CENTS THAT ARE GONNA GET BOMBARDED

BRING IT ON BOYS cwm21.gif

------------------

Keep On Rollin' cwm29.gif Unbound getting UNWOUND

Unbound(Logo).gif

TëMA

AIM: ZUinc2000

SEE NOW THIS IS A GREAT POST!!!!

I think it's all about the track selection. But it's all in the way the tracks fit together, not even with the mixing so much but more of song placement and the overall collaboration of the set.

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

GETTING HIGH, PRICELESS!!

I HATE ALL THESE WANNA BE EXPEREMENTATORS - LIKE SANDRA COLINS - I'M NOT JUMPING ON HER TRACK SELECTION - I DONT CARE IF SHE HAS NO TASTE (I DUNNO JUST NOT MY TYPE OF MUSK) BUT SHE CANT MIX FOR SHIT AND SHE TRYS TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING GOOD AND EVERY TIME MISERABLY FAILS

Could you explain this, I'm very curious by what you mean as wanna be experimenter.

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

Originally posted by exodust:

SEE NOW THIS IS A GREAT POST!!!!

I think it's all about the track selection. But it's all in the way the tracks fit together, not even with the mixing so much but more of song placement and the overall collaboration of the set.

i agree.. definetly has track selection.. but no playlists like b2b said. you have to be able to read the crowd and get a feel for what would fit the mood or change the mood.. control the crowd through track selecion.. and as exodust put it, the tracks have to flow even if the mixing is off

think of it this way..

bad mix: maybe minute or two, and could be covered up w/ efx while slamming in the other track if necessary

bad song: at least 4 or 5 minutes

add that up over a nite and track selectin easily becomes more important

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Track selection.

By the way, I happen to think that Sandra Collins is one of the smoothest mixers around, and she has great track selection. She's a hell of a lot better technically that Oakey, Cox, or Seaman. There is so much dissonance in some of the mixes on their CDs, it's as if they can't hear key correctly. Off-key mixes are just a sign of a lazy DJ.

--David Christopher www.headrushmusic.com

------------------

Cyberia @ BAR CODE every Saturday. Best house and progressive DJs in NYC. Visit www.headrushmusic.com for this weekend's lineup.

Get into Cheetah for only $5! Visit www.headrushmusic.com for more details.

Original beats: Visit www.mp3.com/headrushmusic to hear my tracks.

Pooter's Trance Shack and Moonshine Distillery: The fattest radio station on the web is at www.mp3.com/stations/pooter and we're open to your submissions!

Track selection.

To continue the Nick Warren example, Amsterdam disk 1 is mixed smoothly but disk 2 has amazing tracks. I prefer disk 2.

------------------

Work like you don't need the money,

Love like you have never been hurt,

Dance like nobody is watching.

Originally posted by dbilas:

Track selection.

By the way, I happen to think that Sandra Collins is one of the smoothest mixers around, and she has great track selection. She's a hell of a lot better technically that Oakey, Cox, or Seaman. There is so much dissonance in some of the mixes on their CDs, it's as if they can't hear key correctly. Off-key mixes are just a sign of a lazy DJ.

--David Christopher <A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.headrushmusic.com" TARGET=_blank>www.headrushmusic.com</A>

WHOOOO, I was agreeing with you for a second, cuz I happen to like Sandra, but how can you say Carl Cox can't mix, that's insain!

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

Originally posted by back2basics-:

good to see you posting more again, where's Brandie? Tell here to get her arse back smile.gif

yea we haven't been able to deal much lately w/ the extreme lack of productive posts lately, especially her

maybe we can change it.. you and me lets go wink.gif

------------------

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by PFloyd40:

yea we haven't been able to deal much lately w/ the extreme lack of productive posts lately, especially her

maybe we can change it.. you and me lets go wink.gif

I hear you on that, that's why I'm on this post like white on rice, it's the only one about music

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

[This message has been edited by exodust (edited 02-08-2001).]

track selection is very important...like B2B said...dont play whats big...make tracks big smile.gif

but you should have a good sense of the "mix".

that doesnt mean you have to beatmatch every single time..coz thats just silly..

there is no need for it...and sometimes not even called for...

but beatmatching is not very hard to do, if you've been doing it for a while (it just falls in to place)..but you mix well and play shitty tracks that even you dont like, just coz they are big,is whats called "sellin-out" on your part..

if you mix shitty and play the experimental/ bomb tracks, youll still be remembered as the person who made the crowd go...."i dont know what the fuck this is...but i like it"..its all about expanding peoples sense of music...and giving them something that they "will" crave ..not get brainwashed in to craving....just my 2 cents smile.gif

P.S. - but if i had to choose..and this is IF I HAD TO....i would always choose to hear the bomb tracks, over hearing the same ol shit mixed well...

sorry guys, i can't let that carl cox comment slide. whoever said he can't mix doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. that's as nice as Im going to put it.

and with regards to Nick Warren (nice guy) I have to say that Amserdam had its rough moments. Have a listen to cd1, the mix from track 8 into 9. u call that smooth? sure the tracks are ultra smooth. how about the mix from soul interactive into hedfuk? smooth? not really...

Originally posted by dbilas:

Off-key mixes are just a sign of a lazy DJ.

i couldn't agree more... oh yeah and i'm with track selection... i like how pfloyd describes it..."bad mix: maybe minute or two, and could be covered up w/ efx while slamming in the other track if necessary

bad song: at least 4 or 5 minutes" i don;t need to repeat it... it was settled right there i think...

------------------

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams... wILLY wONKA~

the secret of being a bore is to tell everything ~vOLTAIRE

...you know what else though. You could suck even if your songs are good and your mixing is good, but your songs don't flow into eachother. I think one of the most important quality of a DJ is to have a vibe or a flow

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

I would say track selection most deff more important... mixing skills do count though...

I personally think that its also a great plus that a dj can fuck with a track also.. i dont know what you would call it, but what i mean is like what jp does how he can magicaly turn a 5 minute song into a 15 minute song...

------------------

lips.gif~LiPz~ lips.gif

aim:LikmyLipz

e-mail:LikmyLipz@aol.com

lik.gif
/>http://hometown.aol.com/lipzlipzlipz/LIPZ.html

Song selection and some competence of mixing, you can forgive a few beats that bounce, but if the tracks train wreck then that could easily kill the vibe/groove and clear a floor, even if the next track is slammin it will take people some time to get back from the bar with their drinks and start dancing again...but it's not just playing banging awesome tracks all the time...it's about creating a setting building your set, feeling the crowd, bringing them up and down.

Once you find that you can almost make the crowd do anything you want...

I was talking with someone abuot this just last night, and he's like "Proves my point, DJ's arent exhibitionists, they're voyeurs...they want to watch the people respond to what they're doing" he's right

but you cant get a crowd to get there without a combination of elements (or you could play Elements and that's sure to get the crowd going LOL) which includes tracks selection flow, builds and breaks, and not train wrecking, but to answer directly if I had to say ONE or the OTHER it wuold be track selection.

- Pete

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Upcoming Shows: ???

My new web site...Version 1.04a

[url]http://www.naked-edge.com/schwinge.html

DJSchwinge@naked-edge.com