Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What ever happend to...

When i first started going out, clubs like the Ministry of Sound (when it wasn't a tourist trap) used to hand out Tamberines (sp) or various percusion instruments (no whistles wink.gif) to people to play (or atempt to play).

Ok whistles can be obtrusive but it's great to just bang away at something, there is something in it, for the person doing it.

ALSO,

I remember pro's playing live bongos or even a guy playin trumpet (again at Ministry) over the set.. it was an a fantastic moment.

People like sonique who sings over her set (hadan icredible night at Cream in Ibiza a fer year ago with a Sonique set), just something other that a guy or girl playing the same old.

A freind of mine was playing at a club in Liverpool (UK), he was playing funk & Bigbeat and they had a guy on bongo's.. they guy was fantastic and it worked SO well.

I think these things need a come back..

wadayathink?

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

[This message has been edited by back2basics- (edited 02-14-2001).]

I think the only time that I have ever experienced anything like that was at Cream (I know, the place is pretty weak) over the summer when they had some dude playing the bongos and timbales. Not the best House music around, but the percussion definitely added some nice flavor. I can't say I had any problem with it whatsoever, and it even added some funk to the mix.

I think if it were to go on all night I would get annoyed with it, but when done tastefully, can be fucking great. Just my $.02

peace all

------------------

"Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see" -Dead

I TOTALLY AGREE!! I went to Space in Miami for Danny T's party. There was a guy spinning some nice house outside and along w/ him there was like 3 bongos and various other percussion instruments. The vibe outside was awesome. Everyone was having fun passing the instruments around and playing them. It was better then what Danny was spinning inside. I would love to see a bongo player or 2 come Sunday to compliment the music. cwm31.gif

------------------

..The judge said: "Son, what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't have to die." Well I said not a word. Though it meant my life, for I'd been in the arms of my best friends wife.

Duuuude your crushing my head!

twilo.jpg

It's like guitar based music, i could hate a band but go and see them live and thge energy of the LIVe performace make the night.

When your mixing you can change key,tempo or volume to raise the energy levels.

With a live performace you can add MUCH more, and as somebody said.. you can add funk... witch is't about what you play.. it's about that spaces in between what you play wink.gif

------------------

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

When I was at fifth floor a couple weeks ago this guy had 2 jimbaes(sp) and a dumbec(sp). It was the first time I've seen drums in a club, here in Chicago and the dude was cool as hell. I think he saw the gleam in my eyes when the drums came around the corner and handed one to me. We prolly played for about 2 hrs along w/ the djs house beats. Hopefully he's there this Saturday. cwm32.gif

------------------

wombat3.gif

Originally posted by back2basics-:

It's like guitar based music, i could hate a band but go and see them live and thge energy of the LIVe performace make the night.

When your mixing you can change key,tempo or volume to raise the energy levels.

With a live performace you can add MUCH more, and as somebody said.. you can add funk... witch is't about what you play.. it's about that spaces in between what you play wink.gif

You make a wonderful point! Many bands I have seen have a different flavor from their studio recordings, some better some not. It seems to be about whether or not the music is technically perfect in a studio, or if it just feels right on-stage. In the moment, as a live performance, sounds tend to come along less contrived - as you say, with more funk or mood. And if someone shaking a tambourine or playing bongos, or whatever adds to the feeling then why not?

I think where some people have issues with a whistle, however, is that a whistle tends to be a shrill, piercing sound. Especially when the timing is inappropriate to the music, this can do more to detract from a vibe than to enhance it. Look at it this way, aside from Hendrix, does feedback from a mic or an amp benefit a performance, or is it considered a train wreck? A whistle, to my ears, sounds like someone trying to recreate feedback. And to me, that's not a good sound.

My opinion, worht what ya paid for it. cwm9.gif

------------------

Administrative Signature:

Admin1.gifAdmin2.gifAdmin3.gifAdmin4.gifAdmin5.gif

if you ever get the chance, check out Dubtribe Soundsystem. when they play live sets, they aint joking. they have 2-3 live percussionists, playing bongos for a lack of a better word. the drums they beat are an african variation of a bongo or congo, the name escapes me. last time i checked their website was down, but i think there is a link now on deep dish website. www.imperialdub.com

really worth checking out, vocal house with a world music feel.

be cool

------------------

we must cultivate our gardens...

Don't listen to Wizard, he is a huge contributor of the "drama".

B2B, you have to come to New York, (in the summer) there are drum circles in Central Park and Prospect Park.

As for live percussion in a club, I am now on a mission for it...mmmmmm percussion *drool*

I believe Body & SOUL had the occasional banger, but I long for a drum circle.

You are correct, sir, this needs to be addressed

-----------------------------------

we must cultivate wiz's garden so he can pay us slave labor

When we'd have our harbour cruises around Sydnye harbour with dee jays we'd always bring along a bongo player, very very vey nice, awesome tunes, friends of friends of friends type crowd (no advertising just word of mouth), sunny sunday afternoon, free jello shots......one side of going out in Sydey I definitely miss... cwm6.gif

but yes bongos lots and lots of fun.....

cwm12.gif

------------------

hapfac01.gif ...............trying to find somewhere to live so I can go to Coxy & DT!---------------> boa_boy@yahoo.com

Originally posted by cazz926:

Don't listen to Wizard, he is a huge contributor of the "drama".

sound advice coming from Mr. Drama himself...

one other item... having only been to Body & Soul one time, can you really speak with such authority on the subject?

*consideringhoweasyitwillbetoownmr.cazz*

------------------

Hey Wombat there is a place called the Funky Bhuda lounge in Chi-town. They have a drumming crew (about 6 people), when they get going they are pretty amazing.

But they had abismal DJ's there last time i went. But it creates a great energy in the place.

Cazz May 25th i am there.. there is just so much i want to do.

Ichi, it's so hard when making house to get that live feel. It does have more energy because it's not so uniform. Me and a freind (who plays drums) are trying to put live drums to house music, but you would't beleive how hard it is. It's so easy to use a drum machine but as soon as you try to put the live element over it, it all goes to pot.

Thats why i think Nervous track by MAW is one of the best track of all time, because it does it well... and has so much energy.

promoters listen up, here what the people are saying

------------------

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by wizard:

sound advice coming from Mr. Drama himself...

one other item... having only been to Body & Soul one time, can you really speak with such authority on the subject?

*consideringhoweasyitwillbetoownmr.cazz*

Listen, missy I own Body & SOUL CD's that I play in a room that's 500 degrees with florescent lighting and a slew of gay black men. Big dif.

That's LOL worthy coming from a hermit!

Anyway, b2b, don't act all pants now and not get in touch with me when you come to NY. I wanna join your entourage...

---------------------------------------

I own wiz *alwaysnforever*

Shove note up wiz's ass, PM way too slow!

Ichi, it's so hard when making house to get that live feel. It does have more energy because it's not so uniform. Me and a freind (who plays drums) are trying to put live drums to house music, but you would't beleive how hard it is. It's so easy to use a drum machine but as soon as you try to put the live element over it, it all goes to pot.

Thats why i think Nervous track by MAW is one of the best track of all time, because it does it well... and has so much energy.

promoters listen up, here what the people are saying

B2B, you hit the nail on the head...that track is truly classic.

A huge reason why MAW are so unique, is their ability to utilize percussion, NOT SYNTHETIC, at least it doesn't sound synthetic.

Actually, that they use so many layers of percussion at all...

MAW ROCKS!!!!

Originally posted by cazz926:

Anyway, b2b, don't act all pants now and not get in touch with me when you come to NY. I wanna join your entourage...

i was under the impression that you already joined, when we had discussed that whole limey wannabe thang....

*notloweringhimselfandchangingasigtogetariseoutofcazz*

------------------

Originally posted by ReginaP:

May 25th i am there.. there are just so many people i want to do.

I bet! biggrin.gif

Ha shit Freudian slip!!! LOL.

Cazz onterage!?!... fuck off!! We don't do that in England wink.gif

MAW are the most underated producers there are IMO. They do it all so well, the latin thing, deep house, like you say all their precussion. And on the 1's & 2's they are amazing, nobody teases you like MAW...

Have you herd the Ministry of Sound Session CD by MAW?.. it's 4 or 5 years old but it's incredible.

------------------

bsb2.GIF

Seriously though if i could get some backing i would open a club in a flash. I KNOW i could do a much better job that these bloody crappy arsed clubs there are now.

Everybody is doing the same thing.

It's only people like Manumission that have the balls to try something different.

But as i don't have a million, i will hav to make do with Cafe Del back2basics in Ibiza... comming soon wink.gif If i ever get round to saving.

------------------

bsb2.GIF

i used to go to this party at a club called velvet in the city every fri night and they had a guy who banged away on the drums in the corner. it made the music so much more enjoyable. once and a while at a rave they used to have people playing percussion also. i toally agree they shoudl bring some of that shit back.

------------------

0524a.gif

A ho don't make a housewife.

pistol packin, monkey drinkin, no money bum, im from jersey cause that's where im from!!!!

AOL J303J