Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the legality of dj'ing

clubs and bars that have dj's performing live (or play any music) are required to pay licensing fees to ASCAP. The onus is upon the establishment, not the DJ.

It runs around $500 a year I believe, but I could be wrong.

I'm an ASCAP member, so here's a quick rundown of my limited understanding of it. The club you spin at pays a yearly fee to ASCAP (and/or other rights organizations) to cover the rights to play music written by its members. Radio stations and even bars with jukeboxes operate the same way. So spinning at a club is ok -- the venue is basically paying for the rights for you play what you want. If you wanna do a mix tape, that's another story. You have to buy the rights to use both the song (from the writer/publishing company) and the mechanical rights to the specific recording (usually from the record company). That's why DJs make so little money from mix CDs -- there's a ton of people taking a slice of the pie.

Ok here is a little tip...

Go to your record store and buy ONLY white lables. You need a good relationship with your man at the store but if you do you will get song's that nobody has put there name to.

They ain't copyright at that stage so it's all good. Well actually i am not 100% on the law over here, but i have NEVER herd of anybody getting sued.

Use something like 'the cost of this CD is for the creative influence in the mixing and NOT for the songs themselves'

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

[This message has been edited by back2basics- (edited 04-03-2001).]

I'm pretty sure if you use anyone else's work you have to get copywrite permission and gotta dish off some $$$ if you make money. I would stick to remixing non-pop stuff before I mess with the biggies if I were you. Ask b2b, he ought to know.

------------------

vip.gif

herbert_kornfeld_t.gif

Accountz Reeceevin' Ain't For No Candy-Ass Temps