Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is there such a thing as a TIMELESS techno album or track?

Timless music has mostly fallen into the hands of Rock music and other genres...

However in your opinion is there one album or track that stands out to you as a timless piece...

Something that in 20 or 30 years can be remembered?

------------------

Sigcopy.jpg

I don't think timeless means unforgetable.

By my definition it means music you can put on and not think... boy, this sounds just like 1985 (like say, the theme to Miami Vice... not a timeless song).

I do believe there are timeless techno tracks... one of my fav's - Jaydee - Plastic Dreams. The song does not sound 10 years old. You could play it anywhere, anytime... ergo the sample in Wackass Motherfucker. It is truly a timeless track.

Originally posted by Jilly:

strings of life

and knights of the jaguar

Definatly them two.

Ok what about Unfinished Sympathy - Massive attack, which is probably more techno than house.

oh and Minus Orange, but i would say that wink.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

What I meant by a "timeless album" was more like say an album that 20 years from now will still be remembered for something..

For example if I dig up my old collection I can find Kraftwerk's Autobaun and be like: "DAMN These mother fuckers where soooo great!"

Yea..it still sounds 80's but it's def an album that's withstood the test of times..

For some reason techno sounds dated really quick..

perhaps it's from the tools which we use to make the music..which continue to evolve..

But a Timless track also I think is one that I can imagine hearing in a grocerie store ten..fifteen years from now (The way you'll hear the Beegess in an elevator) and be like "Shit I remember that song from the club days.."

Sometimes the "remembered" songs are also not the best tracks around..but somehow they make an impression..

I'll tell you which tracks I think I'll be hearing in the future K-mart in 2010:

"Children" by Robert Miles (already heard it at a Rite aid right after a Simply Red track last week.)

"Praise you"(and or ROCKEFELLAR SKANK)

Fat boy's timeless tracks

"Porcelein" Moby

In fact I truely Believe Moby's "Play" will be one of the albums that you'll be seeing around in bar Juke Boxes for twenty something years..

along with..

Fat Boy's "you'll come a long way baby"

Chrystal meathod

and I dare say Chemical Brother's

"Dig your own hole.."

All comercial monsters..

all car comercial tracks

all timeless...

what do you think?------------>

cwm15.gif

------------------

Sigcopy.jpg

For 20 years from now, my choices would have to include

Energy 55 - Cafe del Mar

Paul Van Dyke - For An Angel

and I'd hate to say it but Robert Miles - Children (courtyard remix though)

I can't really listen to these songs any more but there was a time not too long ago that these tracks rocked my world and I think 20 years from now, they will bring a smile to my face.

------------------

------------------------

I'm a slut...I make love to music every night

I like to think "O Fortuna" by Apotheosis from '91 is a timeless techno track.

I cant think of any other track that can be played anywhere and get the crowd particpating to their "praying to the techno god dance" as my ex used to call it.

------------------

Available for play, but not for stay.

New Mix CD available "5 HTP"

DJmikeDR@aol.com aim: DJmikeDR

Yes..by "techno" I mean "technology" in the most comercial mainstream kinda way..

OK let me rephrase that..

"ELECTRONIC" albums...

For all you Techno purists..

(Though believe you me..if you walk into a mall in middle America this sort of genre divission dose not exist!)

But OK..

ELECTRONIC..

I was refering to Techno as an umberalla term meaning ALL TYPES of music in the electronic spectre..

sorry..didn't mean confuse any of you sub genre genreists..

------------------

Sigcopy.jpg

Shiot....this is a tough one. I can't think of anything that I have listened to that is 10 - 20 - 30 years old that I could put on now and think it fits with the present time. There are def. tracks and albums I could listen to b/c I would enjoy listening to them but not necesarily that they are "timeless".

I find most music has it's time and place (like mentioned above...could we really see Miami Vice or Axel Foley going beyond the 80s??). To me, music evolves as our society around us does thus the music we either hear or personally listen to may/will have tendency to change with the times. We may enjoy the music but it has it's time and place. That being said I am sure if I think about it long enough I could come up with at least one track or album we could give the title "timeless" to.

My very cheap 2 cents!!!

cwm29.gifcwm30.gifcwm29.gifcwm30.gifcwm29.gif

------------------

1006.gif

mUGZ. FUCK the mainstream terminology.

The only music that stands hte tes of time is pop music crap for its easy to grasp production and truly remarkable quality music.

There was a lot of crap music in the 80s that still rocks inebriated bars today. On the flip, ford used an equally old juan atkins track

Nirvana vs sonic youth same deal

Carl Cox - Fact 2

'nuff said

- Pete

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Upcoming shows:

Friday April 6th @ CREAM opening up for DJ Divine...Open bar 10-12 get there early so you can get drunk and think I sound good :)

Sat April 7th...The KOP Project starts its first Sat-of-the-month residency at Leopard Lounge 10pm - 4am Free - downstairs

My new web site...Version 1.06

http://www.naked-edge.com/schwinge.html

DJSchwinge@naked-edge.com

Kush Kush Kush Kush

Originally posted by George Glass:

mUGZ. FUCK the mainstream terminology.

man!..you must have a hell of a time finding music in big music stores like Virgin..

Without the labels on a can of soup..

how would you know where to find that yummy french onion soup cambels makes...

But your missing the point of the question...

I do think there was alot of crap that surfaced as main stream from the past and stayed "timeless" but just because it's "main stream" dosen't mean it's bad...

Does it?

If I throw on some old school track like Donna Summer's "I feel Love" it still moves me (it IS very mainstream and very 70's but also Timeless in the sense that no one forgot it.)

Tracks like that are rare..

But my question was more towards not which albums YOU like ..but which ones you think will still be playing on Juke boxes, Malls, Grocerie stores or even (laughs) oldie stations ten or twenty years from nowb that are "electronic" (ie..OUR genre as a club culture)..

Ever turn on the radio and hear Depeche mode or New Order on an "80's" station..?

When I was growing up THAT's the shit I use to walk into clubs and hear over the speakers (in my bad New Wave outfit..)

So THERE are some tracks, artists, albums that are timeless (if even in a historical capsule sense)

Which ones qualify as this in your opinion board?

(come on now don't nick pick the question..answer it...) cwm40.gif

------------------

Sigcopy.jpg

[This message has been edited by mugwump (edited 04-04-2001).]

Yea mugwump I think there ARE some classic albums.The people in this board are just too stupid to know what you mean. Personaly I think the albums you chose are more in the BIG BEAT realm but qualify for "timelessness": in the sence that they became huge and WILL be remembered.

On the other hand I think inside the club scene the albums would different depending on the scene. For example Trance immortals would probably be" Oakie's Tranceport one and S&D's communication.

Allthough I do believe Digger's classic "Heaven scent" will be remembered for a long time.

Mugwump...totally knew where your question was coming from. One problem: what one person may deem "Timeless" may not be for another person. I guess you could say your question is subject to opinion....thus no response is necessarily stupid!

"Timeless" for me (I am not guesstimating what the general population thinks is "Timeless" here) is the stuff I grew up on and the stuff I listen to now that entertains me. Suggestions from my collection are:

The Cure, Bauhaus, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cult, Duran Duran, Propaganda, Pet Shop Boys, Nine Inch Nails, SexPistols, Generation X, Dead Kennedys, SNFU, Circle Jerks, Depeche Mode, New Order, Yaz, Sig Sig Sputnik, Specials, Madness, English Beat, Smashing Pumpkins, 808 State, Utah Saints, Jam & Spoon, Renegade Soundwave, Underworld, Prodigy, Gearwhore, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Sasha, Digweed, Timo, Pappa, PVD...and this damn list could go forever................................................................................................................................

cwm4.gifcwm4.gifcwm4.gifcwm4.gifcwm4.gif

------------------

1006.gif

Mugwump...totally knew where your question was coming from. One problem: what one person may deem "Timeless" may not be for another person. I guess you could say your question is subject to opinion....thus no response is necessarily stupid!

"Timeless" for me (I am not guesstimating what the general population thinks is "Timeless" here) is the stuff I grew up on and the stuff I listen to now that entertains me. Suggestions from my collection are:

The Cure, Bauhaus, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cult, Duran Duran, Propaganda, Pet Shop Boys, Nine Inch Nails, SexPistols, Generation X, Dead Kennedys, SNFU, Circle Jerks, Depeche Mode, New Order, Yaz, Sig Sig Sputnik, Specials, Madness, English Beat, Smashing Pumpkins, 808 State, Utah Saints, Jam & Spoon, Renegade Soundwave, Underworld, Prodigy, Gearwhore, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Sasha, Digweed, Timo, Pappa, PVD...and this damn list could go forever................................................................................................................................

------------------

1006.gif

------------------

1006.gif