Clubplanet Nightlife Community

If you had to choose two....

What's up all??

Hey I'm brand spanking new to this website and messageboard and have a couple of questions. I'll be visiting a friend in NYC the weekend of Cinco de Mayo and was wondering for someone that's not from the area, what are the two clubs one HAS to go to? I love to dance, so I'm not just looking for a lounge or anything. I want a taste of NYC that will make me want to come back. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know!! Thanks!!

Amber

Oh boy Newbie... You might be opening up a can of worms here! For some reason, the peeps on this board are very loyal to the clubs they frequent and will defend them to their last breath it seems.

Most people may to tell you to go to Twilo or Vinyl on Friday, and Sound Factory or Exit on Saturday. All four of these clubs are *very* different, so it would really depend on the kind of scene you are looking for and the kind of music you want to hear.

Happy clubbing!

------------------

Is it Friday yet?

Peace Love Happiness y'all

DivaliciousNYC@aol.com

I'm not saying Sound Factory sucks. . . i'm just saying that i really dont like sound factory (and i'm being nice about saying that)But as you see some people love it. it really does depend on what you like, and if you dont tell us what music you prefer, we really cant tell you anywhere to go other than our own favorite club.

------------------

I am Karma's henchman. A prophet if you will. We all deserve some kind of Karma. Whether it be good or bad, it is my duty to bring it uppon you. No thanks needed, I actually enjoy my job.

Thanks to everyone so far for your replies smile.gif

It sounds like the overwhelming votes are for SF and Exit, but just so I know I'm going to the right place, I'll tell you what kind of scene I like. I'm 22 years old, so I like the younger crowd. I love dance, hip hop, R&B, techno, and 80'sbut nothing way out there. I can't listen to too many songs without words, if you know what I mean. I guess I'm looking for the quintessential NYC club.

Thanks again you guys for your advice!!!

Guest danwang

This Friday is the last Friday of the month, so it's Digger (John Digweed) time at Twilo - his 50th night there! Some people love his stuff, some people hate it. If you're into the music, there will be a great vibe and plenty of dancin' for you. But do come early (like around 10 pm?) or in the morning hours (5-6 am or after) as the lines can get long and place can get packed well.

------------------

We're alive, take a breath

We're alive, take a deep breath

Guest danwang

There really isn't a "quintessential" club that will make everyone happy cuz NYC is as diverse as it gets. But if you have some cash to burn and time and energy, you can certainly check out many places in one night, not to mention two.

The places mentioned are the best at what they do, for the crowds they cater to, but they're not for everyone.

If you're down with underground type of tunes, then...

If you want to hear what some people regard as the best DJ in NY, go to Vinyl on Friday.

If you want to hear international DJ's (some of which are regarded as being among the best in the world), stop by Twilo on Friday as well.

I believe these are places that have different rooms with different types of music:

Exit, Webster Hall, Limelight (ever danced & drank in a church before? here's your chance smile.gif ), Tunnel, World (well just main floor + hip-hop room)

If you have time on Sunday, maybe you could hit other places during "prime time", then do Twilo (Junior Vasquez... mostly gay crowd though) in the morning, Sound Factory (afterhours) in the afternoon hours and possibly into the early evening if it's really good, and Vinyl on their Sunday late afternoon/early evening event. I believe Exit is the largest club, so it might be worthwhile to stop by there.

IMHO, Centro-Fly is another place you might want to check out. Different from all the rest, but still very good.

If I haven't already bombarded you with info already smile.gif ,

there probably are other places I haven't been to yet...

------------------

Originally posted by amberjane:

Thanks to everyone so far for your replies smile.gif

It sounds like the overwhelming votes are for SF and Exit, but just so I know I'm going to the right place, I'll tell you what kind of scene I like. I'm 22 years old, so I like the younger crowd. I love dance, hip hop, R&B, techno, and 80'sbut nothing way out there. I can't listen to too many songs without words, if you know what I mean. I guess I'm looking for the quintessential NYC club.

Thanks again you guys for your advice!!!

Just come over and we'll sing you a lullabye.

No really it seems like you might be from jersey nah?

Well anyway. Uhm,...Music is the key here. Different DJ's different scene. Hmm...You say you like younger crowd and that your 'bout 22. Well Twilo is a younger crowd on Friday nite and this friday should be good but hey..there won't be much Vocals to the song that will be being played. Excuse my bad grammar on that one.

Well I'm a big fan of SF. The crowd there at Friday nite is younger also but the crowd at Saturday nite is pretty intense. Lots of interesting peeps there. But the music in myh opinion is simply the best! And yes Jonathon Peters (JP) for short plays music with vocals.

Limelight isn't too bad either. But like some peeps said Exit isn't bad. But I must say the aura and vibe isn't as friendly as it oughta be. Geee you'll feel like your in a Jersey club with all the jealous girls staring at you and the obnotious guys with no manners just grabbing you. And all the girls with attitudes but hey I don't blame them cuz all the guys alway grab them.

But if your looking for ULTRA friendly vibe. Twilo on Fridays and SoundFactory on SaturdayS! Yay...perhaps you'll run into me with me buck teeth and slanted eyes. I've got this really funky stinky smelling breath that'll make u feel high.

Guest danwang

Oops, just read your original post again and realized I was talking about the wrong weekend in regards to John Digweed.

So he won't be there, but Steve Lawler will be there on Friday, who I haven't seen , but I've heard is very good (and it seems that way from one of his sets I've heard). He'll probably start at around 2 am. The other DJ's, Quivver and Three, should be good, but the crowd will probably treat them like appetizer and dessert, with Lawler being the main course.

Even if you stay to the end of that, you could go over to Vinyl to catch a little bit of Danny Tenaglia, who usually goes to 10 am.

I don't know too much about the DJ's at Twilo on Saturday. I believe they're mostly house DJ's but I could be wrong.

------------------

Guest danwang

Originally posted by gambitx73:

And yes Jonathon Peters (JP) for short plays music with vocals.

Limelight isn't too bad either.

When I went to SF, JP was playing acappellas of "Stranger in My House" and "Without You" on top of some banging beats. During the am hours the vocals you'll hear are like that "They know what is what, they don't know what is what, they just strut, what the fuck" smile.gif

At closing time (though 1:20 pm was a bit earlier than usual), he was playing more of the top 40 type of stuff, like a version of "Stranger in My House" closer to the original, and Janet Jackson... probably his own remixes...

I think the Sat of the weekend you're coming is a Gatecrasher night at LL. So that should (or could) be really good.

LL closes relatively early, so you could do at least both places.

------------------

[This message has been edited by danwang (edited 04-24-2001).]

yeah, if you like vocals, i'd say SF would be a good choice even though i hate it. . .everyone who likes that place LOVES it. and everyone who doesnt like that place seems to HATE it. .

------------------

I am Karma's henchman. A prophet if you will. We all deserve some kind of Karma. Whether it be good or bad, it is my duty to bring it uppon you. No thanks needed, I actually enjoy my job.