Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone who knows Computers please Read....

Allright...

I need a new computer..I have about $1200 to spend give or take a hundred.

This is what I need...all I want is internet and Music producing programs...

I have always wanted to make my own music and this is my first chance.

So to all you producers out there..what do you suggest? Mac or PC? WHat should I be looking for ? let me know details.....

THANX EVERYONE

-Andy

------------------

And Everything Will Flow....Flow....Flow....

andy.gif

"The Futures So Bright.......I Gotta Wear Shades"

Email: Andy_Zeee@hotmail.com

AIM: AztecNY

pc's are cheaper...

and since you don't have too much to play w/, i'd go w/ a pc

music genrating programs can be quite expensive...

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

ummm.. i could be wrong, but doesn't gateway have this deal where you decide what kinda programs your computer is based on... like if youre really into watching dvds on your comp theres this whole big set-up and then theres the whole music thing... i dunno... i just have a vague memory of a commercial... but i would think that mac would be more expensive in the long run cause its just not compatible to everything yet... but i could be wrong about that too...

anyway, good luck... wish i was more of a help... cwm15.gif

------------------

f4c3.gif

AIM: dELERiUM 540

thats a tight budget.....but if its for music, processor & hard drive dont matter

definitely try to get a sound blaster live 5.1 (platinum if you can...it has lots of inputs & outputs, S/PDIF, etc)

and as for making demos on CD's, mix CD's I imagine..... go for anything with a Plextor or TDK CD-RW burner......very reliable, good sound quality.

good luck man

But you people forgeting the whole idea here He dont have a computer he needs all the parts a custom built one . you know god you people are slow .. dont worry dude ill have that e-mail with allt he parts like i said i talked to you before ill e-mail you some stuff tomarrow morning ok later

------------------

glowballcopy.jpg

-------------------------

E-mail martin_izzo@netzero.net page 1917-243-0215

AIM:GLowbali <---

Originally posted by westchesterboy:

.....but if its for music, processor & hard drive dont matter...

Quite the contrary. Processor and hard drive make a huge difference. Ever try rendering an effect in WaveLab with anything less than 700MHz? I would suggest getting a system with at least 900MHz, especially if you want to be able to do real time effects as you mix. As far as the hard drive goes, the lower the seek time (get something below 8ms) and the higher the transfer rate the better. Audio files are usually disk read/write intensive and require a good hard drive.

I would suggest having a "custom" system put together rather than having your budgeted amount be squandered on stuff you don't care about (like printer, monitor, etc.) when you buy a package deal.

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

i personally would go with a mac and stuff but PCs (cheaper) now are meant to be ok for the music stuff... as for apps... don't know much about it but i here alot about a program called Cubase.... (i think this is several different apps but all music production orientated)....

Sorry this isn't much help

------------------

paint_promo2.jpg

Stones Roses - Paint Promo

AIM: mattarrundale1

I've had nothing but bad luck with Gateway. I'd suggest staying away from them if you are going to purchase a machine rather than build one yourself (or have a friend do so for you.)

Dells are solid machines and you can have one built to your specifications.

-Oo

------------------

ooana.gif

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"I heard of a man that says words so beautiful that if he only speaks their name, women give themselves to him.

If I am dumb by your body while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips it is because I hear a man climb the stairs and clear his throat outside our door." - Leonard Cohen

I work for a company that does EDI transfers, network engineering and data communications, software and apparel software support, etc. etc.

and i never thought I would say this, but go with an "Acer". Not only are they very inexpensive their quality is very very very good. I was always into big name products, until I started working/assemlbing/dissembling Acer computers, go with them.

trust me on this one.

------------------

a mind stretched by new dimensions can never be the same again

Your laughing at me cause I am different? Shit, im laughing at you cause your all the fucking same!

Ok, get a PC, 600Mhz and up is fine, you need a lot of RAM, 128 at least, but go for 256MB, For producing, you're gonna need a good sound card, I suggest the M-Audio Delta 44, it comes with a breakout box with 4 Analog Outs and 4 Analong Ins. I can help you, but I don't know exactly how you want to go about producing. Do you want 100% software, or are you gonna be using some Hardware synthesizers or samplers???

I suggest using both. Get a good synth that you can connect to your sound card. It also depends on what kind of music you want to produce, House, trance, D & B????

Cubase is really good, you'll definitely need it. It turns your computer into a complete recording studio, it's got MIDI sequencing, a Mixer, a Harddisk recorder, and Mastering on it, and a lot of plug-in effects.

This is all I could really tell you cause i need to know more details about what you really want to do. But i'll be happy to help.

Peace

------------------

I'm the one with the whistle at Sound Factory

DEFINITELY go with a PC... Macs are evil. cwm23.gif As far as brands are concerned, I have a Gateway and although they have package deals and whatnot, you probably won't be able to get the kind of package you're looking for -- and even though they offer the option to upgrade in time, that's only if you don't mess with their system (which *whoops* I reconfigured to my taste...) oh well, I learned my lesson and I hope I can pass on the wisdom. The best bet is to definitely put it together yourself (or have a friend help) -- you can get good prices for certain quality components on pricewatch.com and other tech-shopper sites. The Sound Claster 5.1 is tight - definitely go with that, and if you're getting your components separately I can tell you that I'm very happy w/ my extra stuff from Creative. And yes, the processor DOES matter! See translucent's post above - he makes a great point about that!

Hope that helped!

- meli -

------------------

meli.jpg

"This is not political - it's just that I demand attention when I walk into the room..." -- Nelly Furtado

AIM: MeliChaCha

andy music production software needs really powerful machines to perform. macs are considered better for multimedia and making music, but pcs are caught up. you won't be able to do much on an average pc though. you'll need high processing power and lots or ram. let me know what you're tryin to do with production. soon as i get some cash togethere i'm gonna try and build a home studio...

------------------

Chronic gives you cancer...

I dunno whether PCs or Macs have more / better software for what yer doing, so I'll stay out of that. I personally prefer PCs in general........

That being said -- any modern AMD-based systems (Athlon, Thunderbird) are bound to be priced more competitively than Intel-based machines. Also, don't be fooled by the whole Pentium4 marketing blitz -- it's actually slower than the Pentium3, at identical Mhz speeds. Several sites have benchmarked systems, and in all cases a top-shelf 1.2Ghz AMD Thunderbird system will beat out a 1.5Ghz Intel P4-based system. I'm pretty sure Gateway has some decent AMD systems..... not sure if Dell has any yet.

Definitely get at least 256mb of RAM, especially if you plan on running Windows 2000 (PC). 128mb might be fine if yer running Windows NT4, but 256mb seems to be the new baseline. You probably won't need any fancy graphic cards -- a Riva TNT2 should be enough to play games and do whatever else might come your way.

------------------

-=Vejita=-

"Live through the week. Live for the weekend."

AIM: vvRMR , EMAIL: vejita1975@hotmail.com

Originally posted by melichacha:

DEFINITELY go with a PC... Macs are evil. cwm23.gif As far as brands are concerned,

Did some friend tell you this or some Windows dealer because this is so far from the truth. For thier price they are the most powerful and reliable machines on the market.

cwm13.gif

------------------

wombat3.gif