Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's your favorite book right now? (Does anyone here read or am I the only nerd in

dont' get much chance for leisure reading due to the tremendous amount assigned in school..

but of what i have been reading...

culture and anarchy- matthew arnold

the wasteland- T.S. Eliot

Eliot was a damn genius.. i wonder how many people are as well read.. the frequency of his allusions and knowledge of the past are starggering

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

hmr3.gif

[This message has been edited by PFloyd40 (edited 03-19-2001).]

Originally posted by back2basics-:

I bet you do, but will you in 2 years time?

He i will call you this week, my mail is messed up everybody is getting stuff bouced back.. and i am ill.

In 2 years time...definitely. I don't feel comfortable if I'm not currently involved in reading a book...hence the English major, it wasn't randomly picked.

You'd better call, or you're gonna get it wink.gif

------------------

=)

reginadp121@aol.com

My all-time favorite is The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo....short, but very deep.

I also really enjoyed A Short Guide to Leading a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen.

Both books are so short you could read them in one sitting....I couldn't put The Alchemist down... smile.gif

------------------

pretibaby@excite.com

Originally posted by kitty19:

the harry potter series is a great series! i've read all 4 so far, can't wait until the next one comes out this july! (imma dork).

i finished reading this book, "gangster". i forget who it's by, it's the author of "sleepers". for all those that are into the mafia scene, this is a well written, dramatic book, like all mob stories should be.

i'm picking up this book, "monkey business", which is about the first 2 years in the investment banking world, which is where i am headed this summer.. cwm6.gif

lorenzo carcaterra wrote sleepers..awesome book. very very disturbing!

i didn't know he wrote another book, gotta get it!

And I'm not sure who posted something about The Alchemist...great book!

------------------

alcheshire_cat.gif

*...have the ability to let that which does not matter, truly slide.*-Ed Norton-Fight Club

Originally posted by djstripe:

Mug...I just finish the same Sagan book too.....now I'm on to : Ideas and Opinions -Albert Einstein

Wow..cool strype. another Science buff in the club scene..what a rare species we are. Maybe we can blaze and get all Sagan sometime..laaater~

Originally posted by bigperm:

I just finished the last Harry Potter book. I know its a childrens book, but I guarantee that you won't be ableto put it down.

the harry potter series is a great series! i've read all 4 so far, can't wait until the next one comes out this july! (imma dork).

i finished reading this book, "gangster". i forget who it's by, it's the author of "sleepers". for all those that are into the mafia scene, this is a well written, dramatic book, like all mob stories should be.

i'm picking up this book, "monkey business", which is about the first 2 years in the investment banking world, which is where i am headed this summer.. cwm6.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

always recommend Irvine Welsh for a fun zip through read- another suprisingly multilayered, yet fun furious read is The Beach (not to be blamed for the movie)

Right now I'm reading Interviews with Hideous Men, which is more ridiculously brilliant fucked up shit from David Foster Wallace, my favorite.

------------------

b0107.jpg

In wonder, I wonder "What Happens Next?"- Selma

Originally posted by digisoul:

i just went to the book store and bought disco bloodbath by james st james... kinda ol all about doing K and Michael Alig and the murder of angel... really good read i just sat down played some cds and read it start to finish

This is probably my favorite book, I bought it last summer off the internet and read it twice in 2 days. Then I made every one of my friends read it and then ordered the documentary which was awesome also. It's a sick subject but it is just soooo interesting.

------------------

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse?

The Westies.......it always has been cause I've never read anything else cover to cover........probably never will.......it's a great, true story of the Irish Mob in NJ/NY during the 60s and 70s.......I recommend for any mafia buffs...... smile.gif

Mikey

------------------

"I don't want a piece....I want the whole thing....." - Bob Barker

"The Daughter of Time," by Josephine Tey. Great book. I read it a few months ago, it's a really good book about Richard III's kingship, and the investigation into the atrocities that he supposedly took part in.

Also, "Richard III: The Great Debate" by Sir Thomas Moore; very old, but very good. Basis for the majority of what Shakespeare writes of in "Richard III."

Also, "The Culture of Child Molesting" by James R. Kincaid, is really good. It describes how children are exploited in various ways, through news, literature, film, and, advertisements. It traces exploitation from the ancient to the present, using the baby boom generation as a measuring stick for the rise that took place after 1927 in America. It addresses how a culture that is so sexually oriented gives birth to children that become sexually aware at younger ages, and how that trend is passed on all too quickly through the generations. It also raises some interesting points about children being one of the most valuable and abundant commodities worldwide, and as such, one of the most abused. At first, Some of it seems overboard, but after reading the book, alot of it makes sense. Kincaid manages to find child exploitation in everything from calvin klein ads, to the old citcom "Leave it to beaver."

"The Daughter of Time," by Josephine Tey. Great book. I read it a few months ago, it's a really good book about Richard III's kingship, and the investigation into the atrocities that he supposedly took part in.

Also, "Richard III: The Great Debate" by Sir Thomas Moore; very old, but very good. Basis for the majority of what Shakespeare writes of in "Richard III."

Also, "The Culture of Child Molesting" by James R. Kincaid, is really good. It describes how children are exploited in various ways, through news, literature, film, and, advertisements. It traces exploitation from the ancient to the present, using the baby boom generation as a measuring stick for the rise that took place after 1927 in America. It addresses how a culture that is so sexually oriented gives birth to children that become sexually aware at younger ages, and how that trend is passed on all too quickly through the generations. It also raises some interesting points about children being one of the most valuable and abundant commodities worldwide, and as such, one of the most abused. At first, Some of it seems overboard, but after reading the book, alot of it makes sense. Kincaid manages to find child exploitation in everything from calvin klein ads, to the old citcom "Leave it to beaver."

Originally posted by drfunk:

"Fingerprint of the Gods" by Graham Hancock,

it will change the way u view the world.

and for a little positive read,

"The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama

Thanks alot drfunk!! "The Art of Happiness" was one of my suggestions. I guess it's okay though, considering I got it from you! Another one to open the mind is "Celestine Prophecy". But if you're looking for an escape to another world, definitely read Harry Potter. I don't care what anyone says-they're simply delectible! Four are out and two are on the way.

cwm15.gif

------------------

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born....Anais Nin

Originally posted by bigperm:

I just finished the last Harry Potter book. I know its a childrens book, but I guarantee that you won't be ableto put it down.

No but's about it bigperm. Sometimes we can learn the most from a children's book, look at Dr.Seuss, for example. If people are not going to pick up a book because they think it's only for a child, well then, they're missing out on alot!

cwm20.gif

------------------

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born....Anais Nin

Just finished "white oleander" by janet fitch. Amazing book. About a girl who grows up being thrown from foster home to foster home, and her struggles with her real mother in jail.

Great book--I definately recommend it.