Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TMJ sucks

Does anyone else have this annoying disorder? I've had it for years, but its been getting a lot worse lately. I don't think all the e-induced teeth clenching is helping either. Any imput? cwm14.gif

------------------

"Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in great need of service. A breakdown is eventual." - HR

I too have TMJ. Fuckin' totally sucks....

I've had to pretty much stop E, cause my jaw gets so fucked up from it... Last time I took E, it took a week for my jaw to recover (wouldn't open straight). the other problem I get is that can't actually open my mouth (lockjaw). One time, I could barely eat a slice (thin slice at that) of pizza it was soo bad...

I hate it.... cwm14.gifcwm23.gif

------------------

spark.gif

Hugh

email: ibhugh@yahoo.com

aolim: hugesk8r

9805t.gif

I have this annoying disorder as well, inherited it from my mother it has gotten worse as the years have gone on. Didn't think that I really had it until the dentist actually pointed out to me the groves I have worn in my teeth, I have actually worn them in the fashion in which I grind them. But this is something that is not a laughing matter, my mom has actually had to jaw re-constructive surgeries, not a fun thing. I have a mouth piece that I don't wear enough, but if you haven't gone to a doc. you might want to. Although, insurance will not pay for the mouth piece and they are like $300, but they will pay for the f'n thousands in surgery that you might have to have if it gets bad enough.

Thanks for the glimpse into my future!

It usually takes me two days to get back to normal, but I only roll once a month at most, usually once every two months.

Do you have a nightguard? I'm getting mine on thursday.

------------------

"Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in great need of service. A breakdown is eventual." - HR

I don't have anything for it other than extreme conscious effort not to grind my jaw or clench (it'snot working out though). I'm dreading going to the dentist, cause mine has gotten so bad in the last couple of years.... Not really due to the E factor (since I haven't been doing it much lately anyway). But whenever I stress out all the tension goes to my jaw or neck... mostly the jaw which is what is making it worse...

------------------

spark.gif

Hugh

9805t.gif

I have something similar to TMJ. It is horrible. The piece of cartilage that the jaw bone rests on moved forward so when I opend and close my mouth my jaw grinds on my tendons instead. It gets really painful sometimes, and almost everymorning my jaw is out of place and it pops back in. I won't get into the countless times I have been kissing someone and my jaw locks up! cwm25.gif

------------------

funwithgrapes.jpg

"No further evidence is needed to show that "mental illness" is not the name of a biological

condition whose nature awaits to be elucidated, but is the name of a concept whose purpose is

to obscure the obvious."

Originally posted by sinergygrl:

...almost everymorning my jaw is out of place and it pops back in. I won't get into the countless times I have been kissing someone and my jaw locks up! cwm25.gif

Oh No! That sucks. I clench my teeth when I sleep, and I've started doing it during waking hours as well. My oral sugeon said that I have a slipped disk in one side, and the other side is on its way. Hopefully the mouthguard will help (with the pain at least).

Hy dentist gave me cyclobenzoprine (a muscle relaxer) but it doesn't really help

------------------

Yeah, i have it too! it blows! my jaw is constantly cracking and popping. I can't yawn, eat an apple, or a subor chew gum for more than 5 minutes. Ugh. It's so frustrating.

It's SOOOOOOO much worse after I roll or give head! lol. It'll hurt for a week after I do either!

I have a bit plate, they help but the real problem is getting your brain to stop making you clench your jaw!

Putting a washcloth w/ warm/hot water on your face helps relax the muscles. I'm supposed to do this everday but I'm too lazy.

I may go to a chiropractor and see if they can do anything. If not, I'm going to try hypnosis. I'm desperate.

------------------

You're only young once

sa1300.jpg

I have something similar to TMJ. It is horrible. The piece of cartilage that the jaw bone rests on moved forward so when I opend and close my mouth my jaw grinds on my tendons instead. It gets really painful sometimes, and almost everymorning my jaw is out of place and it pops back in. I won't get into the countless times I have been kissing someone and my jaw locks up! cwm25.gif

That is TMJ.... Basically TMJ is a disfunction of the joint itself, although ground down teeth are a symptom/indicator of it...

TMJ manifests itself with slightly different variations depending on the person.... Largely it occurs when grinding the jaw. There is cartilage (sp?) between the upper and lower jaw bone to protect the bone... what happens is the grinding clenching actually pushes the cartilage behind the joint, so the bones aren't protected anymore... This cause damage to the cartilage (bending/tearing, pushing it where it shouldn't be) as well as the jaw bone itself. People get clicking, slight dislocation, lock jaw, and some other rather nasty problems from it... I've heard in extreme cases they have to wire the person's jaw closed for a time....

ACK!!!!! Now I really don't want to go back to the dentist...

cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm21.gifcwm23.gif

------------------

spark.gif

Hugh

9805t.gif

Originally posted by dale77:

It's SOOOOOOO much worse after I give head! lol. It'll hurt for a week after...

OH I stopped doing that years ago. I'm not a masochist! It just aint worth the pain! cwm12.gif

------------------

it could be from chewing a lot of gum. but it is one of the worst pains.

try not to eat a lot of chewy foods and see if that helps

------------------

"don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat coming around the corner"

Robert Deniro

TUNNEL SATURDAY'S "SOPRANO GUEST LIST"

AIM:MSOPRANO13

Email: msoprano13@yahoo.com

msoprano13.jpg

Originally posted by msoprano13:

it could be from chewing a lot of gum. but it is one of the worst pains.

try not to eat a lot of chewy foods and see if that helps

Yeah, I stopped chewing gum a while back. The problem is I clench my teeth WHEN I SLEEP, and it's kinda hard to stop doing something while you're unconscious

cwm16.gif

------------------

Oh my god is it horrible during and after giving head! I always have to stop for a second which I'm sure buggs the hell out of my boyfriend, especially if he is about to cum or something, I always feel so bad.

Quanto, my dentist (who is probably a crackhead considering all the doctors in this area are crackheads) said that because my cart. moved forward and not back and the problems with my jaw resting on the tendons was the reason it differd from TMJ.

Has anyone tried the bite plate? That didn't do shit for me! It made it worse and I drooled even worse than I usually do when I slept.

------------------

funwithgrapes.jpg

"No further evidence is needed to show that "mental illness" is not the name of a biological

condition whose nature awaits to be elucidated, but is the name of a concept whose purpose is

to obscure the obvious."

Oh my god is it horrible during and after giving head! I always have to stop for a second which I'm sure buggs the hell out of my boyfriend, especially if he is about to cum or something, I always feel so bad.

They never buy it. They always think its an excuse

Has anyone tried the bite plate? That didn't do shit for me! It made it worse and I drooled even worse than I usually do when I slept.

I'm getting mine on thursday, I'll let you know.

------------------

Good luck!

------------------

funwithgrapes.jpg

to obscure the obvious."

Quanto, my dentist (who is probably a crackhead considering all the doctors in this area are crackheads) said that because my cart. moved forward and not back and the problems with my jaw resting on the tendons was the reason it differd from TMJ.

I stand corrected biggrin.gif

I've been in major dentist avoidance since before I came to NYC.... Actually, it's been about three years... I have really healthy teeth overall, so I have bee nable to get away withiout going in for my 6 month checkups... I know I have to go soon though... the jaw is getting to be too much...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! cwm14.gif

------------------

spark.gif

Hugh

9805t.gif

Originally posted by lavendermenace:

OH I stopped doing that years ago. I'm not a masochist! It just aint worth the pain! cwm12.gif

Well I don't have a boyfriend so *that* hasn't caused any problems in a while! But it sure does get you out of doing it when you really don't want to!

------------------

You're only young once

sa1300.jpg

Originally posted by dale77:

Well I don't have a boyfriend so *that* hasn't caused any problems in a while! But it sure does get you out of doing it when you really don't want to!

Thats true, and eventually they stop asking!

Hey, has anyone come across any drugs (legal or otherwise) that help?

I can't say that I have.

------------------

I've noticed that over the past year or so I've been grinding my teeth when I sleep. I never used to have that problem but it seems to be getting worse. Also, every once in a blue moon, when I'm chewing, my jaw wants to clamp down.

I'm afraid when I go to the dentist, and open my mouth he'll be like,"HOLY SHIT!!" Then yell out to the receptionist to hold all his calls and cancel the rest of his appointments. Then call his wife and tell her that they can finally afford to send little Billy to Harvard cwm45.gif

bionoc-

LOL, basically, what they will do is take an impression of your teeth and give you a mouthguard to sleep with. It doesn't sound like your too far gone yet, but you should do it ASAP before it gets worse.

The only problem is that the mouthguard is expensive and many insurance companies don't cover it.

------------------