Clubplanet Nightlife Community

BPM and the future

So what's your oppinion? Do you think music is getting faster... and if so is there such a thing as too fast?

I read an artical in Mixmag not too long ago stating how people like Moby have steadly increased there beats per minute in each new cd. On the other hand bands like the chemical brothers and leftfield have been slowing down. Sure these are main stream groups, but I'd like to know what people think. Are there still as many "trance-heads" that enjoy there music at 110 or is most of the culture moving into the more progressive 130, 140, or even high range?

Thoughts?

BTW: hope all the people I know are doing well. been awhile since I posted around here. smile.gif Europe was a blast now I'm trying to lay some life foundations in Detroit! Yes, yes, that's the getto capital of the world, but also the birthplace of the dance scene... IMHO. (Even if it seems to have abandoned it's roots)

------------------

clubplanet_sig.gif

[This message has been edited by sariman (edited 06-13-2001).]

Cycles. . .everything goes in cycles

kinda like a sine wave

------------------

I am Karma's henchman. A prophet if you will. We all deserve some kind of Karma. Whether it be good or bad, it is my duty to bring it uppon you. No thanks needed, I actually enjoy my job.

Yo Ben!

You back from Europe already? I thought you were gonna be there all summer.

Yeah, it seems BPM is getting higher. However, I think that trance BPM is faster than progressive...just listen to any of the NuBreeders, Tenaglia, or Digweed. Slow and spacey. In fact, that's what Myrlin, Ezdreamer, and Shadowchaser complain about the NuBreeders' sets...too slow, never picked up, never climaxed.

I for one, like the slower BPM.

You in Detroit now?

-Den

------------------

furnace.gif

"Much respect...to the dreamers..."

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Interesting fact, Technics are producing decks that go to +16... so they are betting on it.

if they're doing decks with +16, means they must go -16 too. whats your point...

it depends what subgenre you're lookin at. cycles is about the right word for it, its goes up and down...

i think the best shit goin right now is the dark tech-house being caned by diggers and the like. it ranges in bpms but the quality is really there, moreso than even progressive i think. trance is fuckin dead. good riddance...

------------------

TKWIWBTDKWIWTJSWTF

Originally posted by p00h:

it depends what subgenre you're lookin at. cycles is about the right word for it, its goes up and down...

i think the best shit goin right now is the dark tech-house being caned by diggers and the like. it ranges in bpms but the quality is really there, moreso than even progressive i think. trance is fuckin dead. good riddance...

I think you right about tech-house... that does seem to be where people are at now. But I don't think trance is dead by any means... it's getting more progressive. You see more tracks these days that are mixes of genere's. The body has elements of trance, tribal, and tech-house all mixed together with trancey breaks and climaxes, but with tech-house style transitions.

I think BPM is getting faster, but I think it will stop around where it is now and most producers will just get more inventive with their mixing bringing in elements from all over.

------------------

clubplanet_sig.gif

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Interesting fact, Technics are producing decks that go to +16... so they are betting on it.

if they're doing decks with +16, means they must go -16 too. whats your point...

Not nessesarily, it could just go down to -8 and up to +16.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Originally posted by sariman:

I think you right about tech-house... that does seem to be where people are at now. But I don't think trance is dead by any means... it's getting more progressive. You see more tracks these days that are mixes of genere's. The body has elements of trance, tribal, and tech-house all mixed together with trancey breaks and climaxes, but with tech-house style transitions.

I think BPM is getting faster, but I think it will stop around where it is now and most producers will just get more inventive with their mixing bringing in elements from all over.

u're right, elements of trance are evident in all the popular generes right now, and there's a fussion of those genres which is what music is all about. what i meant was that progressive trance, the anthemic ecstacy trance is gone, though someone forgot to tell gatecrasher and the likes. it'll be cleaned out soon, even the raver kiddies are lookin for some dark shit. darkness will envelop us all soon, there is no hope or escape from it...

------------------

TKWIWBTDKWIWTJSWTF

u're right, elements of trance are evident in all the popular generes right now, and there's a fussion of those genres which is what music is all about. what i meant was that progressive trance, the anthemic ecstacy trance is gone, though someone forgot to tell gatecrasher and the likes. it'll be cleaned out soon, even the raver kiddies are lookin for some dark shit. darkness will envelop us all soon, there is no hope or escape from it...

Follow the light!! haha I swear if I see another set of candy kids start moshing I'm going to shove a set up decks up their ass.

biggrin.gif

------------------

clubplanet_sig.gif