Clubplanet Nightlife Community

J.Peters at Factory Review this passed SAT

well I just turned 21 about a month or so ago and decided what better to do than check out JP at Factory for the first time and finally hear what all the hub-ub is about. I figure since I've only been djin for about 4 years now I could pick up a pointer or too from the guy and expand upon my own style. Anyway I was severly disappointed at what I heard that night.

Being a true music fan, I went there 100% sober to enjoy his toons. As for the technical side of me, for some reason, once you start djin, you become overly critical of another dj's mixing skills, but I tried being as objective as possible because who am i? I'm a nobody and he's well..JP!

Anyway, I had heard from most people that Peters doenst really blast off until about 4am which was cool. At about 2am, he started playing what I thought was less than decent and what apparently everyone else agreed too, as whatever crowd he developed during the previous songs, disappeared right back into the shadows. I guess I could only classifiy that music as Samba House, or house with an ethnic feel. Well, after a bit of that, he went back to his normal 130 bpm pretty mellow house, and then out of the blue, he puts on an old Whitney Houston song. WHITNEY HOUSTON?!@#!@ Cmon, I can barely take her trax on KTU, mind at SF. Anyway, after some more, I look at my watch at its a little after 4. A dancer finally got on stage and I was like, OK, this is it. THis is what I've waited for! THe beat built and built and built some more for about 10 minutes, and then dropped! It was an all too familiar vocal song, that I can't even remember right now but I thougt it stunk. Now only was the song not spectaculor to say the least, be played it for like 35 minutes. In and out, in and out!! I listed as he went to different versions, switched to his dat, came back with cd and what not. You could actually hear the sound quality change as he went from different sound sources. More of the same 35-40 minutes songs were played after that up until i left

I stayed to about 6:00. Not because I was tired or anything, but because I wanted to go and actually thought the night wasnt fun. Don't get me wrong, he played a few good tracks, but not consistent enough.

All in all, with respect to his mixing style, I heard the music almost completely stop many times as would happen if the dj were to run out of wax on his record. He wrecked here and there, but nothing major. I like how he stabs in parts of other songs here and there but couldnt stand the marathon sets he played of one song. It was almost like some of the music was sooo mellow that you would absolutely flip out when a good hard song came on.

Phew, that was a longass review. I just want to ask the board, was that an accurate description of what JP does every SAt night or was he on an off night? Maybe my description was off?? Maybe he doesnt get really good until after 6:00?

I think that must people that goes there can't sometimes tell the diference of the music like you did, because they are so fuck up on drugs.

And because you were sober you found all the mistakes that he makes when he is mixing. Therefore sometimes they don't care.

------------------

IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT BUT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE!

aol IM- Dj Fabio CT EXIT -G U E S T L I S T guestlis@optonline.net

DiscobalII.jpg

I wasn't there so I can't say whether that was a good or bad nite for him...although most of the people I spoke to didn't care for his set a whole a lot! He's been getting more mellow as the weeks go on it seems.

Anyway my best advice to u...is to GO at 6 not leave at 6!

SF is an afterhours club...he doesn't even warm up until 6...and still he's not really into it until 8ish!

Try it again and this time go later & I promise you'll have a better time!

SMOKEE

Originally posted by djfabioc:

I think that must people that goes there can't sometimes tell the diference of the music like you did, because they are so fuck up on drugs.

And because you were sober you found all the mistakes that he makes when he is mixing. Therefore sometimes they don't care.

U have people like that at EVERY club...not just SF!

SMOKEE

Originally posted by pangelid:

what is different/better about his music at 8am than at 5am?

Also, do you have to pay a $30 cover charge that late?

Yes u still have to pay $30 at that time! The difference between pre-8:00 and post-8:00 is because JP knows that his true loyal fans are the ones who are there afterhours. So he saves his best work for later!

SMOKEE

Originally posted by pangelid:

what is different/better about his music at 8am than at 5am?

Also, do you have to pay a $30 cover charge that late?

its just better as the night/morning goes on..

he is usually at his best from 7am to closing

for some reasong its better, maybe he wants to play for his real fans who stick around or arrive then. who knows but he is one of the most popular DJ's in NY so he must be doing something right

I haven't heard him spin yet, cause I'm only 20, but October 30th is my birthday, but you know where I'm headed on November 3rd(First Saturday I'll be 21)!! cwm4.gif I've heard the good and bad about JP, but I'm sure I'll still have a great ass time!

------------------

signature.gif

Wait a minute Fabio...I see in your sig that u go to Exit...have u looked around there lately?? LOLOLOLOLOL

I don't think either club has more crackheads then the other! But what I have observed is Exit has more crackheads that can't handle their crack! Just my observation..I'm not bashing u for going to Exit!

Also this came about cause u think people have no clue about the music JP plays because they're too fucked up...I would bet my bottom dollar that there are MANY more people at SF that know their music then Exit! Crack or no crack!

SMOKEE

[This message has been edited by smokee (edited 06-20-2001).]

ive never been to factory on a sat to hear jp spind but i plan on it this summer. but the last thing i wanna hear are 35 mixes of songs...to me that just sucks

------------------

"don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat coming around the corner"

Robert Deniro

TUNNEL SATURDAY'S "SOPRANO GUEST LIST"

AIM:MSOPRANO13

Email: msoprano13@yahoo.com

Ganster-01.gifim gonna make you an offer you cant refuse

Originally posted by msoprano13:

ive never been to factory on a sat to hear jp spind but i plan on it this summer. but the last thing i wanna hear are 35 mixes of songs...to me that just sucks

dont say that till you hear it yourself. Factory afterhours is great!

------------------

bal22.gif

"THEY KNOW WHAT IS WHAT BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WHAT, THEY JUST STRUT. WHAT THE FUCK?"

TëMA AIM: ArthurBrooklyn

Originally posted by smokee:

Wait a minute Fabio...I see in your sig that u go to Exit...have u looked around there lately?? LOLOLOLOLOL

I don't think either club has more crackheads then the other! But what I have observed is Exit has more crackheads that can't handle their crack! Just my observation..I'm not bashing u for going to Exit!

Also this came about cause u think people have no clue about the music JP plays because they're too fucked up...I would bet my bottom dollar that there are MANY more people at SF that know their music then Exit! Crack or no crack!

SMOKEE

[This message has been edited by smokee (edited 06-20-2001).]

Nothing against SF, i go there sometimes afterhours, but i allways see more people there fckd then Exit (POINT) otherwise that would not be able to stay awake all night and day sober.

Exit does not have the best music in the world,but that might change soon like they say....

------------------

IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT BUT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE!

aol IM- Dj Fabio CT EXIT -G U E S T L I S T guestlis@optonline.net

DiscobalII.jpg

Originally posted by msoprano13:

Yeah man 35 min mixes can be annoying at times...but remember he doesn't just loop a song over & over again for 35 mins...he absolutely fucks with it...throws one song on....drops another over it...maybe layer another one...take out one of the beats...bring it back in later...etc.! Plus he useds tons of effects!

Let me know when u plan on going & I'll make sure u have a good time!

Also, the summer is NOT a good representation of SF...remember that!

SMOKEE

Originally posted by djfabioc:

Nothing against SF, i go there sometimes afterhours, but i allways see more people there fckd then Exit (POINT) otherwise that would not be able to stay awake all night and day sober.

Exit does not have the best music in the world,but that might change soon like they say....

MOST SF regulars...sleep all nite & don't go there til 6-7am at the earliest...so it's easy to stay awake sober during afterhours...trust me I've done it on more than one occasion!

SMOKEE

soprano you will either love it or hate it. I love that place, jp throws great music at you, stage shows are kewl. dont get caught up in that 35 min mix shit. go there and just listen and make your own judgement.

first of all, lets stop the who-has-more-crackheads drama. its been beat to death on this fucking board.

secondly, that was a good review of JP. pangelid, like myself, obviously likes a different style of music than JP spins. i was there on sat. it was an avg nite for that place (not great, not terrible, just avg).

some ppl really like the stuff JP does. the way pangelid described the JP is accurate. really, its not necessary to be a crackhead to love SF, but it sure helps. there are indeed many sunday morning moments when "the music was sooo mellow that you would absolutely flip out when a good hard song came on." that is precisely what some ppl love about SF/JP. its also what other ppl hate about JP. if you expect something "consistent" then you are at the wrong place.

sounds like you got the full effect of what the place is all about. BTW, if you stayed much longer you would have gotten a more intense version of everything you just described. again, ppl who want to hear the JP style love 10 AM at the factory, while others who cant stand it at 4 AM will absolutely hate it six hours later.

------------------

i love music!

Pangelid,

I have to say at least that was one of the more descriptive reviews of a DJ's set I've heard in a while on this board.

Most people will just say, JP was sick or JP sucked, so much props for actualy providing an explanation.

And just to agree with the above, he definately kicks it into high gear after 7am. You should definately stay as close to closing as possible. Its definately worth doing it. You have to hear it to believe it.

Can i get an AMEN from Pang..

Could not agree more. Playing things for 35 minutes and using effects just takes away from what the producer made.Play the fuckin record and let the record speak for itself. cwm11.gif

Originally posted by lowmazda:

soprano you will either love it or hate it. I love that place, jp throws great music at you, stage shows are kewl. dont get caught up in that 35 min mix shit. go there and just listen and make your own judgement.

i hear that kid....ill holla at you when im going and maybe we can meet up

------------------

"don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat coming around the corner"

Robert Deniro

TUNNEL SATURDAY'S "SOPRANO GUEST LIST"

AIM:MSOPRANO13

Email: msoprano13@yahoo.com

Ganster-01.gifim gonna make you an offer you cant refuse

just to add alittle..jonathan peters has been alittle soft lately..alot of people are saying because he is catering to the gay crowd the has been coming over from twilo..who knows..so right now if you listen to him and you like hard stuff..you will be alittle disappointed...but every week is different with jp..my friend goes every week to the factory and said a couple of weeks ago jp ripped it up...a good time to go is like around 4 stay as long as you can since it's a real late after hours club..his music kicks up later on..two more things, as far as the 35 minutes mixes go..it sucks if you don't like the song but if you do it's awesome..you don't want to hear a song for 5 minutes ...so it goes either way..let's not forget how long he spins for in one night...you want to get the full affect of the factory with jp spinning try going to the anniversary party or his birthday party at the factory..insane.. the best night i ever had..he was spinning to like 8:30 sunday night..totally fucking crazy...how many dj's can do that..he blew the roof off those nights..i'm sure anybody that was there those two nights will tell you the same thing...don't judge a dj by one night..trust me..

jonathan peters is the man......