Clubplanet Nightlife Community

whats a "bar back"?

bar backs are the ones behind the bar that you see stocking the fruit, cleaning, bringing ice to the bar, taking away dirty glasses. they don't serve alcohol or even water or handle any cash. because of not serving alcohol, i believe you can be underage in this job.

Originally posted by trancend

well i turn 18 in less than 3 weeks so thats not my concern, my concern is more like how does this pay?

The pay depends on the establishment, but its usually a low base salary (5/hr) and then you get tipped out at the end of the night by the bartender(s) so it depends on how much the bartender makes. They will give you a percentage of their tips. So, its actually better to be in a busy place. You can make decent money barbacking if you work in the right place. I worked in a place where the barbacks made 150-200 a night (on the weekends). Of course, I was making 300-400. The good thing about this job is its a stepping stone to becoming a bartender, and you can be behind the bar at age 18. Its how I learned.

Originally posted by lavendermenace

The pay depends on the establishment, but its usually a low base salary (5/hr) and then you get tipped out at the end of the night by the bartender(s) so it depends on how much the bartender makes. They will give you a percentage of their tips. So, its actually better to be in a busy place. You can make decent money barbacking if you work in the right place. I worked in a place where the barbacks made 150-200 a night (on the weekends). Of course, I was making 300-400. The good thing about this job is its a stepping stone to becoming a bartender, and you can be behind the bar at age 18. Its how I learned.

That's exactly right!

I bar back for an extremely short time, one of the bartenders left and I got first crack at the position... It's a crappy job, but def try to go for a busy place even though it's harder (more $$$$)

but sometimes you'll feel like this: :mad::blown: