Clubplanet Nightlife Community

August Mix Of The Month & Top 20

djamnfx

Some deep house to move your soul and tap your feet.

MIX OF THE MONTH - Listen (Windows Media)

D-Jam's Top 20 (August 2001 - This is NOT the playlist for the Mix of the Month! )

1. Buena Vista - Cricco Castelli - Hiptonic - Listen
  2. I'll Call You - Soul Mekanik - Rip - Listen
  3. For An Angel - Paul Van Dyk - Mute - Listen
  4. Beautiful Strange - Bedrock - Bedrock - Listen
  5. Muzikizum - X-Press 2 - Skint - Listen
  6. Amazonas - Flash - Dos or Die - Listen
  7. End of Spikes - Living Paris feat. Eric J. - Immense - Listen
  8. You Got The Way - Only Paradise - V2 - Listen
  9. Waiting - Undercover Agency feat. Trust - Naked Music - Listen
  10. Columbia - Paul Van Dyk - Molto - Listen
  11. WMC 2001 EP - Various Artists - Oxyd - Listen
  12. AC/DC - X-Press 2 - Skint - Listen
  13. Crocodile Man - Evolution - Fluid - Listen
  14. Chocolate Sensation - Lenny Fontana & DJ Shorty - FFRR - Listen
  15. Das Glockenspiel - Schiller - Data - Listen
  16. The Recall - Saccoman - BXR Claxixx - Listen
  17. Now or Never - Tom Novy feat. Lima - Rulin - Listen
  18. Pictures of a Gallery - Taucher - Scuba - Listen
  19. Inside Your Gates - Green Court feat. DE/VISION - Logport - Listen
  20. Pressure - Lemon 8 - Basic Energy - Listen

djamfooter.gif

Glad to see you like PvD. I know the record is old, but I've been getting off on it lately with anyone that has been listening.

As for the "Deep" thing, I am not even sure what to call the music I used in that mix. For the longest time, I was told it was all "deep house". Some tell me it's garage house, others just lump it as house. I pretty much needed to leave some sort of description of what's on that mix.

So help me out here, what do you all call this?

djamfooter.gif

Originally posted by djamnfx

Glad to see you like PvD. I know the record is old, but I've been getting off on it lately with anyone that has been listening.

As for the "Deep" thing, I am not even sure what to call the music I used in that mix. For the longest time, I was told it was all "deep house". Some tell me it's garage house, others just lump it as house. I pretty much needed to leave some sort of description of what's on that mix.

So help me out here, what do you all call this?

djamfooter.gif

It's eclectic, a little bit of everything Trance - For and Angel, Muzikizum is Progressive. Chocolate Sensation and WMC 2001 ep- disco house. I think this is the way set's should be, not just sticking top one style.. props.

Well, I used to do my Top 20 totally based on personal tastes, but no one could relate to it. Most of my play time is at private affairs and house parties. The Top 20 is simply the 20 records that I have recently bought that everyone I play for is getting off on.

I am not one of those DJs who runs to Gramaphone every Thursday and spends $50-$200 on vinyl, just to have the most current stuff. Number one, I can't afford it with rent and junk, and number two, I notice that a lot of the new records sound like the records I bought a week ago. I remember when trance blew up, I was buying records every week, but after a while, I noticed that the newest records sounded like the old records I had bought months ago. It became redundant.

I also am not a person who will throw a record out simply because it is a few months old. If it sounds good, makes people dance and smile, then it is worth playing. This attitude I see someplaces where a record is not worth playing if it is a few weeks old is insane. This is why a lot of the newer records aren't "legendary" like the old school cuts. Heck, when I started spinning in 1992, people were still jamming records from 1988-1990 like they were new.

In the case of "For An Angel", I had seen the video on Launch.com and fell in love with that record. I found it off Satelliterecords.com in July and took it immediately to a house party. Everyone went crazy for it and a lot more people asked me to make an MP3 of the tune, so I decided to make it a Top 20 pick. It probably won't be on the Top 20 next month though.

As for the recent gig, that would be Club Eden. It was a mess. We got there and the management acted like he never knew who we were or that we were coming. It was shadey. He let us set up anyway, but the gear they had was horrible and we ended up calling it quits on Club Eden. We walked down the street to Droopy's house party and HAD A BLAST!!!

If you want to talk old, I popped on "Allright" by Anon at that house party and the entire place went crazy. Goes to show that just because a record is not new does not mean it is not worth playing. ;)

How about you guys? Do you have any "slightly old" records you still like to pump? Even if someone walks up and says you are not "current"?

djamfooter.gif

I'm sorry your gig didn't go well at Club Eden. When's your next gig, maybe the clubplanet crew will come next time to support you?

As for the oldies comment, I never meant to say anything negative. In fact, I hella love it when djs thrown in a classic bit into an otherwise unrecognizable set. Some people are really judgemental about djs playing "popular" tunes just to crowd please. it all depends where you're playing, right? sometimes you gotta give them what they want, and other times, you'll have a really good crowd response who'll follow you w/wherever your set goes. I was just wondering whether top 20 meant, top 20 recent releases of the month you liked. . .or something else

(sheepishly) I still love it when anyone drops Expander. . . .:smile2:

Originally posted by scratchapella

As for the oldies comment, I never meant to say anything negative.

It's ok. I never saw your question as negative, but I wanted to fully explain myself. :D For some odd reason, I end up having to explain myself every time I post a mix. Ah well. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry your gig didn't go well at Club Eden. When's your next gig, maybe the clubplanet crew will come next time to support you?

The next big one is The Young And The Restless, set to go off in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Look to Raverworld.com for updates and info. I'm already pumped.

(sheepishly) I still love it when anyone drops Expander. . . .:smile2:

Xpander by Sasha is probably one of my all-time fave trance records. I even bought "Beautiful Strange" by Bedrock because one of the remixes sounded like Xpander.

>If you want to talk old, I popped on "Allright" by Anon at that house party and the entire place went crazy. Goes to show that just because a record is not new does not mean it is not worth playing.

>How about you guys? Do you have any "slightly old" records you still like to pump? Even if someone walks up and says you are not "current"?

So you feel the need to play nothing but current tracks just because what other people might think? :rolleyes: Man you gotta develop your own sense of style based on what you like, not a compromise of what you like and what they like. Especially if you're just doing for yourself and it's not a career. The best DJ's, in my opinion and only mines, have the classic cuts that almost nobody else has. I'm sorry I forgot that you don't, I'm just shocked that you know people who think like that.

>I also am not a person who will throw a record out simply because it is a few months old.

You actually know people like that?!!