Clubplanet Nightlife Community

good book suggestions

I'm in the middle of this really funny book called Our Lady of the Circus, by David Toscana. It's about this troupe of circus performers/freaks who run across a deserted town and decide to settle down there. They pull their professions out of a hat. I'm about halfway through and so far it's highly amusing.

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE AUTHORS OF THESE BOOKS:

EXEGESIS-ITS A HACKER/CONSPIRACY BOOK- A CIS STUDENT CREATES A SMALL HARMLESS PROGRAM TO SUMMARIZE NEWSGROUPS, BUT IT TRANSFORMS ITSELF INTO A VIRUS AND STARTS COMMUNICATING WITH ITS CREATOR

LUST MONSTER OF MELANCHOLY COVE-REALLY FUCKED UP STUFF, CAN'T BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT, FUNNY SHIT

Originally posted by roadrunner

Dude, I just finished that book 2 days ago! It's kinda funny... and pathetic. The pictures are priceless, though.

It's pathetic that most of the founding fathers of that scene are either dead or in prison. And yeah, the picture of the singer for Mayhem after he blew his brains out is priceless.

Originally posted by heretic909

It's pathetic that most of the founding fathers of that scene are either dead or in prison.

I just thought it was sad that they couldn't keep their ideologies straight and, in the case of Euronymous, felt the need to completely fabricate his personality. I liked Grishnacke at first, then when it came out that he was being manipulated by White Power weirdos in prison, I sort of lost respect for him. And that German band seemed like a bunch of dumbass kids...

Originally posted by roadrunner

I just thought it was sad that they couldn't keep their ideologies straight and, in the case of Euronymous, felt the need to completely fabricate his personality. I liked Grishnacke at first, then when it came out that he was being manipulated by White Power weirdos in prison, I sort of lost respect for him. And that German band seemed like a bunch of dumbass kids...

Yeah, everyone was trying to out-evil each other to the point where it just got ridiculous. And like with any scene, once it started there was a shitload of wannabes and followers that just ruined it. Especially in this scene since it seemed like people believed that they needed to burn a church or commit murder to gain respect. Like that girl that tried burning down Therion's house because she was a fan of Burzum, and Therion wasn't 'true' black metal. I wonder what a Real World show would be like if they filmed one in Scandanavia.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card actually the whole series is good (Speaker for the Dead, and I can't remember the name of the third). I just finished reading Ender's Shadow which is a parallel book to the first book (time period is the same, but told from a differenct character's perspective -- extremely good)

Let's see what else.... It's all going to be sci-fi

Red Dwarf (somewhat similar to Hitchhiker's Guide...)

Reality Dysfuntion -- forget the authors name

Damn I'm so terrible with names!!! Ummm..... Some of Jack Chalker's books are very good reads.

Non-sci-fi Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson

Red Mars, Blue Mars, & Green Mars (Trilogy) by Kim Stanley Robinson

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I've read somewhere on the order of 500 sci-fi books... I'm just so bad with the names...

Originally posted by quanto_magnus

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card actually the whole series is good (Speaker for the Dead, and I can't remember the name of the third).

I think that would be Ender's Shadow you're thinking of. ;) (I work for his publisher)

"The Faerie Queen" by Edmund Spenser.

After 2 months of on and off reading, I've finally finished all 6 books. A Very beautiful, dedicatory allegorical piece that tries to encompass the virtues of Queen Elizabeth. Also, very informative of the Irish-Catholic relations during Spenser's time (1552-1599), the treatment of women, and the knightly code in action. Through example, Spenser (through layering allegorical meanings on top of one another) beautifully depicts various characters of his own choosing (who are supposed to each represent various virtues of the Queen, including chastity, magnificence, justice, and mercy; some of these characters include Britomart (chastity), a female knight, Artegall (named after King Arthur), and Polente (excessive use of power). One of the several allegorical meanings happens to be the prevalance of Elizabeth's virtues in the face of opposition; Spenser uses many characters to symbolize the political/social hindrances that faced Elizabeth during her reign, such as the Spanish, and her own sister, Mary Tudor. One can see the different allegorical meanings unfurling as one reads each canto. Each book can be read apart from the other, but a chronological order should be kept because of frequent references to events in past books/cantos. Interestingly enough, Spenser assumes the archaic form of writing, and this beautifully lends the classic quality to his work, making it almost seem like Chaucer's beautiful allegorical work. The Penguin classic edition includes the Mutabalitie Cantos as well as a proem by Spenser himself, written in 1589 to Sir Walter Raleigh. If there was any specific purpose in Spenser's mind while writing the book, the letter sheds some light upon it. There are other allegorical layers, some of them being political, moral, economical, and even social.

Also, "Come and knock on our Door" by Chris Mann is a very good book. It takes a very good look at the set of the citcom "Three's Company," and describes the many problems on the set, including the relations between the characters. Also, Mann speaks about the developmental problems of the show, and the various spin offs it had, including "The Ropers" and "Threes a Crowd." As an extra incentive, Mann includes a description of every episode of Three's Company that aired from the first episode in 1977 to the last in 1984, as well as the words to the song in the beginning of the show. Some good pictures as well.

I haven't started it yet, but I have "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," by Dave Eggers. A lot of people who's opinions I respect have had nothing but praise for it. Its a brutal yet humorous nonfiction account of his childhood, the death of his parents, and his raising of his younger brother. Supposedly he is a very witty and funny writer...

Originally posted by fowla

I haven't started it yet, but I have "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," by Dave Eggers. A lot of people who's opinions I respect have had nothing but praise for it. Its a brutal yet humorous nonfiction account of his childhood, the death of his parents, and his raising of his younger brother. Supposedly he is a very witty and funny writer...

I've only read the introduction so far- I was cracking up!