Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question

joeycarbone

Well Kim and other house-heads?

What do you consider good house?

Who's the last local resident you've heard spin that you absolutely loved and what did style did they spin?

I think Chicago as house goes tends to be pretty homogenous and you hear the same thing everywhere from the residents..

Old-school huose baby... 91-95.. Vocal house, Deep house, dirty house, NY house, chicago house... anything!

Marshal Jefferson played it good, but there was no atmosphere due to a lack of people who know what thay are talking about.

Saeed & Palash played some great music.. again no people.

Francois K was the best deep house night i have been to in Chicago, but that was at Le Passage. So when you moved from the dancefloor it was all big hairspray hair and fake tits... but that was a great night.

When Frankie Knuckles plays the HOB it's fantastic (KIM, next time he is back we will go because that was a great night, great atmosphere and packed).

I would like to see..

Radger Sanchez

Yousef

Danny Tenglia

Graham Parks

Eric Morrilo

Masters @ Work

etc etc playing here.

Residents... nobody really. To be honest i think the Chicago scene suffers form too many residents. I love the fact that local tallent is being nurtured, but there is no substitute for a DJ who has 20+ years of rocking dancefloors and has travelled to understand different crowds. Take one of the about names and they will tear it up.

I suppose the best residents i have herd...

Derrick Carter - nuff said.

Psycho - has skillz, but it's not my thing.

Angelist - plays my kind of music.

Tone freind at the Venue on Tuesday was very good.

And i have one good CD from Mr Walsh that is good, but it's a promotion CD and i havn't (so far) seen that translated on to the dancefloor. It's not about mixing music in it's about the energy and that's where most of the residents i have seen fail... psycho knows how to keep that energy up... but other don't.

Originally posted by back2basics-

And i have one good CD from Mr Walsh that is good, but it's a promotion CD and i havn't (so far) seen that translated on to the dancefloor. It's not about mixing music in it's about the energy and that's where most of the residents i have seen fail... psycho knows how to keep that energy up... but other don't.

I agree totally.. I have seen way too many dancefloors cleared out because the DJ didnt understand the crowd or energy or was trying to be experimental..

Originally posted by tranceaction

I agree totally.. I have seen way too many dancefloors cleared out because the DJ didnt understand the crowd or energy or was trying to be experimental..

I don;t know what wrong with the scene here, still trying to work it out, but nobody seems to want to take the risk of bringing somebody. When they do it's a Thursday. Then Marshall and Saeed & Palash get a few hundred through the door, but Rive Gaunche is packed... it makes no sence.

Get a good DJ with a decent crowd and they will slay it, the names i listed (and add Howells to that list) KNOW how to pack a dancefloor. That's why they are the best, if they didn't they would have the names they do. But no, we get David Waxman et al.. who, with all respect, has been at it for years now is still selling himself on the Twilo residency and still hasn't made the big time... all for good reason.

Why carn't somebody take a Friday night and get big names down. They do it everywhere else in the world. Chicago needs a kick up the arse.

Tranceaction: There's an article in the most recent issue of UR you might be interested in (p.25). They got opinions from peeps like Mike Dearbor, John Curley, etc. as to why more of their better paid and supported gigs are always outside of chicago. Chicago's got lots of excellent local talent IMO, my personal favorites are Bear Who, Jes, Gabe Palomo, Terry Mullan and of course Derrick Carter. In fact, I think Chicago's suffering from lack of support for local talent. The aforementioned DJs are all in high demand, it seems like, everywhere except Chicago. AND I don't htink Chicago house/DJs all sound alike, there's sooo much diversity out there, you'll find them at events and venues other than Redno5, Crobar, blah blah blah. . .

B2b- by vocal house did you mean live vocals? if so, i think you should hear this girl - Colette, she spins and sings over her sets. . .

Yeh we never see Terry Mullan anymore, he does know his stuff.. so does Carter (who is the resident i hav seen most here and even he really isn't rocking it anymore).

No By vocal houe i just mean house with vocals.. no so kean on people singing over the top. Although Sonique does it very well.

I think nurturing local tallent is good, but you carn't even compare ANY of the names we have listed to Danny Howells or Danny Tenaglia.. they just arn't in the same ball park. We need a really top DJ here once and a while.. Not you Seb Fontains or Boy Georges, who are all well and good... but are just names, they arn't really all that. IMO.

Is DT still scheduled to come to Chicago? I noticed Pure took him off the latest schedule, which sucks.

scratch - gabe, mullan, etc.. are the minority here.. sure you can hear different styles but you have to go to the more underground places.. aka dragon room, venue, smartbar/metro, rn5 to some extent..

B2B - how much do you think it would take to bring Howells on a friday or saturday night?

I would have to think the only reason the talent comes in on Thursday is because it is sooo much cheaper for Pure..

Anthony Pappa cost Pure $3k to play on a Thursday and they lost money. Tiesto wanted $6k to play on a Thursday.. I can imagine their rates are double and triple on fri/sat.

The lack of proper venues and operating hours isnt helping either..

Howells on a Friday or Saturday... hmm well, it does depend. Big names usually factor in the size of the venue, so there is no set fee. I have seen Sasha in a room of 300 people.

But you would be looking at $4000 at least maybe $6000 + expenses. Problem with pure and most promoters in Chicago is it seems they arn't getting a good deal. Tone brough Marshall and he was saying it was the cost of the club and staff, not the venue which cost the $$$$'s. So i don't think pure are getting a good deal. If they are paying $3000 for a DJ and loosing money either they had nobody in the club or they are getting ripped by the club.

In the UK you will get all door receipts and a cut of the bar. The bar should make a decent amount. But if you can get $1000 people the door at $20 each, you have 20K to play with which alone will get you just about anybody you want (apart from the PvD's and Oakenfolds).

You guys should take a lesson from Boston. Since Twilo shut down in NYC, Avalon in Boston has been blowing up on the scene.

In the past six months I've seen Oakenfold, Deep Dish, Saeed and Palash, Chris Fortier, Danny Howells, Darren Emerson (simply amazing set), Sandra Collins, Paul Van Dyk last Friday... the list goes on. I'm sure these Djs would be willing to play Chicago, it's a great city, one club owner just needs to step it up.

It's too bad joecabrone won't know most of these names, he's a meat-head from Jersey with the intellect of a 12 year old...

Originally posted by back2basics-

Why carn't somebody take a Friday night and get big names down. They do it everywhere else in the world. Chicago needs a kick up the arse.

that's right - everywhere else in the world - like NYC

chicago can't get it done because all the big names want to rip it up in cool cities, like nyc, with cool, sexy people, like me.

who wants to hang out in a flat city next a big puddle?

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: