Clubplanet Nightlife Community

labor day w/e @space $$$$

panchodeejay

I read alot about clubs being greedy and only caring about the bottom line on this board. Everyone always talks about how all they care about is $ and not the music. Most of the time this criticism is directed towards Space. But what I think we should all keep in mind is that there is more involved than just greedy club owners. When these so-called "superstar DJs" make an appearance they are charging a pretty penny. Some of the bigger acts cost in excess of $20,000 or more with DJs such as Oakenfold. What about them? Don't they care about the music? Aren't their outrageous fees forcing the clubs to raise their cover-charges? Dance (electronic) music has become a large, lucrative business and people are trying to cash in from all sides of the spectrum. It's easy for us to sit here and criticize the club owners for not bringing the talent we want but you have to consider the fact that they are the ones that have to pay these outrageous fees and pay for promotion and advertising and take the risk of loosing their investment. It also seems the club that gets dissed the most (Space) is the one who has brought most of the talent I want to see. Keep in mind, we live in a town where most of the patrons of a club like Space could care less who is DJing. They don't need to bring high-profile DJs to make money, they're packed every week regardless. Are'nt they trying to satisfy the more musically inclined clientele when they book these DJs? Maybe we should'nt be so quick to criticize and realize how far this city has come (musicall) from just a couple of years ago. Just keep in mind, when you pay those 40 bucks to go hear D.T. a good chunk of that is going to D.T.'s pocket.

SEE YOU THERE:)

PEACE,

KINGSTREET

All I have to say about space is that it's very huge.....the universe is 99% space 1% matter. If they want to charge alot of money for that little piece of rock in this immense universe I think they have a right to do that. I'm not including dark matter because it's still theorectical.

We have a right to complain about cover prices. Hell we're the one paying, no? The reason why Space is getting dissed quite often is because they've recently catered to quantity and have forgotten about quality. For conference the cover f/ DT was $20 before midnight. Even with other big DJs (Deep Dish, Timo Maas, Digweed, etc) the cover has remained steady. Sure it's a big holiday weekend but I am not going to stay quiet and say OK charge me whatever fee that you want to see my favorite DJ cos it's not right.

so again I call it what it is GREED.

and yes I am going to be in attendance f/ DT and I will complain at the door about the cover price. Simple as that.

Originally posted by kingstreet

I read alot about clubs being greedy and only caring about the bottom line on this board. Everyone always talks about how all they care about is $ and not the music. Most of the time this criticism is directed towards Space. But what I think we should all keep in mind is that there is more involved than just greedy club owners. When these so-called "superstar DJs" make an appearance they are charging a pretty penny. Some of the bigger acts cost in excess of $20,000 or more with DJs such as Oakenfold. What about them? Don't they care about the music? Aren't their outrageous fees forcing the clubs to raise their cover-charges? Dance (electronic) music has become a large, lucrative business and people are trying to cash in from all sides of the spectrum. It's easy for us to sit here and criticize the club owners for not bringing the talent we want but you have to consider the fact that they are the ones that have to pay these outrageous fees and pay for promotion and advertising and take the risk of loosing their investment. It also seems the club that gets dissed the most (Space) is the one who has brought most of the talent I want to see. Keep in mind, we live in a town where most of the patrons of a club like Space could care less who is DJing. They don't need to bring high-profile DJs to make money, they're packed every week regardless. Are'nt they trying to satisfy the more musically inclined clientele when they book these DJs? Maybe we should'nt be so quick to criticize and realize how far this city has come (musicall) from just a couple of years ago. Just keep in mind, when you pay those 40 bucks to go hear D.T. a good chunk of that is going to D.T.'s pocket.

SEE YOU THERE:)

PEACE,

KINGSTREET

i haven't said 'greed'... yet. They should probably change me more for the long (a good!!) hours i've spent there and for the more that 12 hours that i will probably spend there next Monday listening to Tenaglia... $40 is not such a bad deal.

But if you ask me how much they charge for a bottle of water and if they let you refill it. Let's do some numbers... 12 hours *1 drink or water average per hour * $7($6+1tip) =$84 just for water...

... not so sure.. .that sound pretty greedy to me.

i'd have to say that i agree with about 1% of your post. that 1% being oakenfold. the only reason a club will be willing to pay that much to that talentless individual is because they know he brings in a sick amount of people. but week in week out, with hometown djs spinnin, they still charge you 30-50 bucks to get in. the later you go, the more you pay. now in what way does THAT make sense? space makes over 20,000 within the first 5 hours of operation on a friday night. by the end of the night, they've grossed over 200,000 thousand dollars? wtf is that?

they charge u an insane amount to get in. 10 + for a drink. 8 + for a beer! and that's not even including a tip. water is 6 bux. why don't i just hand them my wallet when i walk in. it's just as good cuz they're practically holding me up.

they have connections with advertisers and they use free entrance to their club so their promoters won't complain. so don't even go there.

they do NOTHING for the music. it's all about the money. and i've heard so first hand.

also, imo, this city has taken a GIANT LEAP BACK, rather than forward. they've pissed off dj after dj and if it weren't for the weather and beaches, nobody would come here. their attitudes stink, they think they can tell the dj's what to play, and they have NO sense in real musical talent. they don't do a thing for the dance community. they do everything for THEIR pockets. so please do not try to sell me the idea that space is trying to "satisfy the more musically inclined clientel". they could care fucking less. what they're trying to do when they book great talent is to try to bring in the "more musically inclined" so that they can bring in MORE money. if they did care about the music, they'd bring in more dj's on a regular basis. twilo closed a while ago and we should have an influx of great dj's coming in. instead we have Fathead Slim??? hmmm...i wonder why?

point is...things won't change until some serious competition goes up against space. and i just don't see that happening. so i'm forced to deal with all that shit cuz i want to hear good music. which i'm sure i will hear next sunday. but you won't catch me DEAD on a regular night there. they don't deserve the sweat, money, nor phat vibe i bring. plain and simple.

but hey...that's just my opionion. and i'm stickin to it!!

well stated frank .. it's one thing to make a profit. it is quite another thing, to take advantage of people.

p.s. space's advance ticket price; does not include the service fee.

so I save about $4.00 .. I can put that towards the parking fee; which I'm sure will be increased. $20.00 for parking at mekka (ouch !!)

laterz, sobeton

Originally posted by pumavisor808

So how much is it going to cost me to see Danny total???

$36.00 (advance ticket prices ; including service fee)

20.00 (parking; could be normal price of $10.00 (yeah ,right !!)

________

56.00 + drinks, and etc.

laterz, sobeton

Originally posted by meng

Damn, I may have to just buy one of his mixed CD's and play it loud in my house.....buy a bottle of liquor and hang out with my friends in my crib......which is his best CD mix?

you better get your arse to space . :) peace, sobeton

What a pain. Though lately I save on parking. If you're like me and car thieves will do you a favor by taking your car, park on the street. I give this one bum 5 dollars, and he leaves me alone. I'd rather give my money to the homeless than the parking cartel at Space.

Originally posted by meng

Damn, I may have to just buy one of his mixed CD's and play it loud in my house.....buy a bottle of liquor and hang out with my friends in my crib......which is his best CD mix?

Sean do yourself a favor and check DT LIVE! Especially if you're an aspiring DJ yourself.

See you there!

I think those fees are pretty ridiculous, especially when you consider what they charge for bottles of water and beers on top of that. My thinking is, if you're going to charge me $30+ to get in, damn, at least make the bottled water and beer affordable? I shudder to think of the percentage markup those clubs are getting on bottled water and beer. It's gotta be at least 500%, maybe more?