Clubplanet Nightlife Community

If only Djs said this about Miami clubs...

loraine

I moved down to Miami a little over a year ago to finish up school.......and after living in Cleveland for 20 something years......Miami's nightlife blew my mind.........I spent the past summer in London, and the summer before that in NYC........and Miami's club scene is definatley top 10! We may not have superstar dj's every weekend, but the scene down here........is all its own........people come from all around the world to experience the famed miami decadence..............Sometimes this message board sounds as if no one would be happy unless Miami became Ibiza; but if that ever happened how many of us would be able to stay sober and hold down a job...............Then again what the F@%k do I know...............peace

Originally posted by panchodeejay

I've been to fabric a couple of times and it is the best club in london (if you don't get lost inside, it's a total laberint). Miami has nothing compared to that.

I don't know about the best.......i thought the Gallery at the Turnmills was better................and what about Heaven..........

" When Layo and I decided to do a club, we wanted to do it properly. As a DJ, I'm forever DJing in clubs all over the world, and I'm forever coming across imperfections. There's often something that gets in the way of creating that special community that we need. Having the DJ near the crowd, having a good system and good monitoring, having good air conditioning, having a sprung-wooden dancefloor so that people's thigh's and calves don't ache at 5 a.m., it's ALL important. We have free, cold water fountains and we don't turn off the taps in the toilet to force you to buy bottles of water like some clubs. It's not just about taking people's money from them; it's about creating a safe enviroment for people to enjoy themselves, to have fun, to make new friends, to share information, and to grow as individuals. We wanted all of this in a club with musical integrity. "

- Richard West's approach on "The End" in London

Originally posted by Kingstreet:

"I'd like to see how many of you would frequent a club like Vinyl (no A/C, no liquor, no decor, raver kids) The music is amazing, but would that be enough? or would we take it for granted if we had it on a regular basis? When Danny Tenaglia used to play in Miami every week nobody gave a shit (except maybe 300 or 400 mostly gay men) THINK ABOUT IT! Maybe we should stop bitching and realize we have some pretty good clubs and DJs in our own backyard... "

The answer is simpler than you think .....

I've never been to Vinyl and I haven't been in NY for a very long time. I'd probably like to form my own opinion about the club although I have read and heard some negativity. Yes, I do believe the muzik is enough. Not that I don't like and support any of the local dj's down here, cuz I do, but that is a whole different level. I was way too young to appreciate Danny Tenaglia when he played here, hell, I didnt even know what a club or dance muzik was about for that matter. I really don't think everyone here is bitching about the club's down here. To be honest, the venue's itself are fucking good. We're complaining more so on the way some of the club's are being runned or manned or managed or whatever you want to call it, which IMO is whack right now. just my 0.02 cents worth

Originally posted by joeygk

I was just tryin' to do my good for the day, and hook Miami up w/ some positive raves......instead all my posts get twisted around, and now I seem like some teenage pervo..........

***Don't hate; congratulate!

Sorry if you think I was attacking you, but I have been to Fabric and thought it was an amazing place w/ a kick ass sound system.

I've also been to Heaven and I wasn't impressed, and yes I went on a Bedrock night. Now about us bitching about the scene here, it's amazing during conference and just goes to show how much potential this city has but there's a lack of effort by club owners and thus affects promoters and bookings. As for the rest of the year we only get talent on a monthy or bi-monthly basis, so it would only be logical for us to want it on a weekly basis instead.

That's all.

Originally posted by kingstreet

GOD FORBID! someone defending Miami clubs......

This board has a real "the grass is always greener on the other side" type attitude...and BTW Vinyl is a DUMP! and Fabric is'nt so hot either....I'd rather hear Danny Tenaglia at Space rather than Vinyl or Fabric any day of the week!

I get the feeling anything or anyone that is "local" is considered lame by the hipper than thou folks on this board. That attitude is precisely what makes Miami's scene what it is. Instead of looking at all the positives we have, we dump on our local clubs, djs, promoters, etc. and constantly rave about everywhere else. I got news for you guys , we've got it pretty good here... I'd like to see how many of you would frequent a club like Vinyl (no A/C, no liquor, no decor, raver kids) The music is amazing, but would that be enough? or would we take it for granted if we had it on a regular basis? When Danny Tenaglia used to play in Miami every week nobody gave a shit (except maybe 300 or 400 mostly gay men) THINK ABOUT IT! Maybe we should stop bitching and realize we have some pretty good clubs and DJs in our own backyard...

PEACE:)

and GOD FORBID we criticize and acknowledge the flaws about Miami clubs!! As for the Space and Fabric comparisons, both venues are excellent and offer just as good sound systems and a/c. While Space lacks what Craig Richards had to comment on Fabric--so yeah we're gonna complain about that lack of vibe and respect f/ patrons. Not that I'm saying Fabric is perfect, cos I've only been there once.

When Danny Tenaglia played at Cheers he was unknown (except f/ those regulars you mentioned)

Sure we've got decent venues, but as Digital stated we're not happy with "the way some of the club's are being runned or manned or managed or whatever you want to call it, which IMO is whack right now." So what's so wrong about telling it how we see it?

In the end we're all entitled to an opinion.

Originally posted by loraine

When Danny Tenaglia played at Cheers he was unknown (except f/ those regulars you mentioned)

That is precisely my point!!! It seems that people base their taste in Djs on hype. I guess unknown & local = not good enough...beleive me Danny was just as good then as he is now...

Originally posted by staceyg5

plz, the girls are compelety overrated here

if you took your best looking miami girl and your best looking ny girl, yes the miami girl would be beautiful but on a whole i see many more good looking girls (& especially guys) up north.

Stacey I agree! I never thought Miami girls were all that, either. Oh except for Loraine of course!! LOL (saving my skin here you see hehe) The last time I set foot in Manhattan, Reagan was president, so I can't really comment on NYC. But - when I go out West, I see firsthand just how incredibly overrated Miami girls are. Just go to any sizable city in California, it blows Miami out of the water. Perhaps surprisingly, Salt Lake City, Utah has a lot of *very* cute girls who aren't really aware of how cute they are. Unlike Miami, where even somewhat ordinary looking girls act like they are Whitney Houston and are gonna get a rich guy. This is my main complaint about Miami girls, they need about 10 doses of humility. Time to see me and get your medication :D

My absolute favorite place in the country in terms of great-looking, down to earth women is Colorado.

not really into the pretty boy type

there just seems to be an over abundance of short beef cake boys in miami

come on, us taller gals need some loving too

ROFL - a lot of those short beef cake boys here are extremely aggressive, I always watch their game when I am in a club. Plus, they are the ones that are *always* pushing me out of the way when I'm simply trying to get my groove on :cool:

you forgot about the t*ts & a**

:tongue:

Yeah, this is exactly why you see those HORDES of guys waiting pathetically outside of Crobar. I remember last fall when I saw Pappa there, the enormous crowd of guys waiting outside.......hell I think some of those guys are STILL waiting to get inside Crobar.......

ROFL - a lot of those short beef cake boys here are extremely aggressive, I always watch their game when I am in a club. Plus, they are the ones that are *always* pushing me out of the way when I'm simply trying to get my groove on

I think it's honestly called short man syndrome. They have issues with their height. So they proceed to bulk up muscle-wise and get an agressive attitude to compensate. Its funny how down here a good percentage of the girls are taller than the guys.

Ahh well, what can ya do...midget tossing maybe?

I think we are all saying something similar. DT is one of a dying breed. Clubs are not much about the music anymore. I am glad there are a few spots we can still enjoy...

Miami I would say I like Crobar mondays, and any other local night.

Vinyl is great on fridays in NY. I still remember DT in 93-4 and have not forgot him.

I remember when free water with ice was placed on the bar in plastic cups for everyone at around 10AM Sunday's at the Edge in Ft. Lauderdale.

I think if the clubs were good to its patrons, then the patrons would be good to the club and appreciate the club more.

Imagine how much better Space would be if it would just chill out a bit on the attitude, staff, dress code, etc...

Not only would Space still be the super club that it is, but it would have a reputation that would speak volumes across the globe for being one of the coolest clubs on the planet.....

One complaint that I do have about Miami is that unfortunately it isn't about the music. I really wish that the music lovers made up the majority of the clubgoers.

Originally posted by meng

I remember when free water with ice was placed on the bar in plastic cups for everyone at around 10AM Sunday's at the Edge in Ft. Lauderdale.

I think if the clubs were good to its patrons, then the patrons would be good to the club and appreciate the club more.

Imagine how much better Space would be if it would just chill out a bit on the attitude, staff, dress code, etc...

Not only would Space still be the super club that it is, but it would have a reputation that would speak volumes across the globe for being one of the coolest clubs on the planet.....

One complaint that I do have about Miami is that unfortunately it isn't about the music. I really wish that the music lovers made up the majority of the clubgoers.

but isn't it always fun to sit around and mock all the posers........who don't have a clue about the scene........

Well said Meng!

The best way to get even is to not recognize them. The club scene is filled with dysfuctional insecure actresses!

My advice is to focus on your own little world, lose yourself in the music. People get in to things at different times. We would be silly to think that noone was into music before us. It is another thing though if someone opens their mouth claiming to know something that one doesn't.

Post enema feeling....

It is interesting to finally hear the words a place "where music lovers meet up." Wouldnt that be a novelty. Notice nothing was said about dress, looks, pretention,and etc. It shouldnt be such a utopian ideal to experience music with people like ourselves.

patrick> i know your coming on sunday, right?

I dunno.......it will be more of a last-minute decision, I think. I'd like to have some hope of getting money in my pocket again. If this was CNBC, they'd be saying that my "consumer confidence" is low. I haven't gone this long without working for quite a while. I temp with an agency that is usually pretty consistent with assignments, but I havent had anything going on for almost 2 months now. So, tentatively, if things start looking up this week job-wise, I'll go. Otherwise, I can't fathom dropping nearly $50 on entrance and parking. Gotta call the agency and bug them. What is up with this economy? Is it like this all over the country, or is it just S. FL job market that sucks lately?