Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What a tragedy....

Omg I'm still can't believe this, I turn on my computer like 10 minutes ago and this comes up on the main menu:

Singer, Actress Aaliyah Dies in Plane Crash

This is so sad, she was so young and had her whole life in front of her. Makes you realize how short life is, wow.

Here's the story:

Aaliyah, 7 Others Killed in Plane Crash

MARSH HARBOUR, Bahamas (AP) - R&B singer and actress Aaliyah died Saturday when a small plane that was to carry her and eight others back to the United States crashed after takeoff in the Bahamas, authorities said.

Eight were killed, and one critically injured man was flown to Florida for treatment, officials said.

``We find it devastating and most unfortunate that after having this world-famous star Aaliyah and her crew select the Bahamas as their choice location for her latest video, the project has climaxed on such a tragic note,'' said Minister of Tourism Tommy Turnquest, who happened to be visiting Abaco Island, where the plane went down.

Aaliyah's song ``Try Again'' earned her a Grammy nomination for best female R&B vocalist. She made her feature acting debut in the film ``Romeo Must Die.''

Bahamian national television quoted the civil aviation department as saying Aaliyah was among nine Americans on board.

The private plane was leaving the Marsh Harbour airport on a trip to Opa-locka, Fla. when it went down Saturday evening, said police spokesman Marvin Dames.

Abaco Island Chief Councilor Silbert Mills said those killed included two women and six men.

Islander Derek Russell, who worked for the group during the video shoot, said he got the artist's autograph before the accident.

``She's a nice girl, a friendly girl,'' he said.

The cause of the crash was unclear. Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in Atlanta, said the plane was a Cessna 402 owned by Skystream, a company based in Pembroke Pines, Fla. She said the plane crashed at the end of the airport's runway at 6:50 p.m.

it's definitely a tragedy and the worst thing about it is that it was probably preventable,,

according to a CNN article, the passengers insisted on carrying aboard all their stuff at the objection of the handlers and the pilot

...real bad move right there, this is not exactly a 747 they were flying on, it's a small plane

they probably boarded all their video cameras and shit, overloaded the plane, threw off its delicate aerodynamic balance, causing it to stall and crash

another thing, it was like 9 people on a plane designed to sit 7

the pilot erred in taking off under such conditions, he should have stood his ground

Originally posted by atomicapples

why cant one of them other artist die??? the ones that suck... im not going to name any, cuz everyone got their own taste.. dont want to upset anyone

that is kinda fucked up to say... but i can see where ur comin from... but still.. i think a better way of stating that would be like "why did it have to happen to someone like her... someone so talented" along those lines... u know? i wouldnt wanna wish death upon anyone really, even if it were to take the place of someone else who died... but u know what they say "the good die young"...